My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadster, E39 530i, Toyota Previa S/C

2006 E53 X5 4.8is... what should i worry about?

There's a 2006 X5 4.8is that I'm interested in.... but I'm concerned about what kind of problems it might have? I regularly help my friends fix their BMWs, and I've worked on two X5's (both E53) but both were with the M54 3.0L motor, none of the V8s. I've had to fix intake leaks, tail light problems, front half-shaft boots that have torn, rear suspension problems (non air ride), etc. I'm just wondering if the 4.8is is significantly more expensive to maintain? Does it require any special motor oil like the S54? Does it have a really expensive water cooled alternator like the 4.4L in the 540i? Don't really know that much about the X5...

thanks in advance for any pointers, especially from anyone who's owned the E53 4.8is for a while now...

My Cars
    2004 4.8is
    front L axle shaft - cheap
    air ride problems - anything but the compressor/computer is cheap
    castrol syntec 5-30 or in hotter places 5-40
    spark plugs @ 100,000km - cheap
    check for coolant leaks
    check for even tire wear
    R sideview mirror not goin down when tranny in REVERSE properly, memory function kinda lags out @ 1 angle

My Cars
    '02 M5 LMB/LMB
    Control arm bushings, at 100k your transmission might act up but you can just do a transmission service on your own and it'll drive like new. Windshield washer coolant leak is a common problem. And there was a recall on the mirrors because the motors that would allow them to go in with the push of the button would break, but i dont think the 06's had that problem. Not really any other major issues with these cars othe than the already mentioned stuff, like the air ride. But I haven't had issues with mine yet. Just look around. These require as much maintanence as any high performance bmw would. These are honestly great trucks. If your going to mod it, I recommend your first thing should be removing the center resonator and installing an x-pipe. It'll really let you hear that alpina V8! Good luck, hope to see some pictures!

Oil wise it says to use high performance bmw synthetic, but really any synthetic will work. 5w-30 or 10w-30 should be fine. These trucks do tend to eat oil, so do not be surprised if your oil light occasionally comes on.

Also the tire pressure monitors sometimes go bad and even the spare can cause the light to go on. If none of your tires are actually low, then just hold down the tpm button and if will go away.

When you get it, I recommend taking it to your mechanic so they can plug in a scanner unit and reset the adaptations on the car. This way, the car will learn your driving pattern as if it were new out of the factory.
    Last edited by dannypiv; 09-30-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    -'12 X5 35d Deleted/Tuned
    -'02 M5 LMB/LMB

PAST IN ORDER:
    '03 530i/5, '98 540i/6, '98 540i/6, '99 M3/2/5, '98 540i/6, '03 330ci/5, '08 335xi/6 E92, '12 335xi/6 E92, '08 M5/6, '07 X5 4.8i, '03 X5 4.6is, '11 550xi, '10 X5 4.8i