Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The M5 cluster retrofit

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
    Does anybody know if the e53 X5 4.6/4.8 Sport cluster would work on an e39 540ia?

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    It would work no different than the M5 one would.

The key to making an M5 or X5 4.6is cluster work in an E39 540i is to flash the DME with software from the X5 4.6is software. They are the same M62tu engine base, one being B44 and the other B46. The software functions fine on the 540. I have not gone as far as doing the flash because I have been told it would wipe my Dinan software out.

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    2001 740IL,2000 540I/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
    It would work no different than the M5 one would.

The key to making an M5 or X5 4.6is cluster work in an E39 540i is to flash the DME with software from the X5 4.6is software. They are the same M62tu engine base, one being B44 and the other B46. The software functions fine on the 540. I have not gone as far as doing the flash because I have been told it would wipe my Dinan software out.
    You can always save the Dinan tune(bin file) with MPPS, and after programming, just flash it back to DME, the problem is -you have a 6 speed, B46 tune is for automatics .

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by supra94tt View Post
    You can always save the Dinan tune(bin file) with MPPS, and after programming, just flash it back to DME, the problem is -you have a 6 speed, B46 tune is for automatics .
    I wish I would've kept the bookmarks of the sources I spent a lot of time reading on about a year ago. I read one, translated from German, that said there was a way around that. Its a simple toggle switch in the module to switch it from manual to auto

My Cars
    M5, 540i-6, 02 X5 4.6is
    Hello All-
    I appreciate your posts on the e39 speedo coding, I bought a used speedo with almost the exact same miles as my car..I have driven around for two weeks getting the mils exact and pulled over on the side of the road at the exact same miles as my new "used" cluster..I plugged it in and of course, got the DOT tamper, but the miles are the same as my old cluster. I went to a independent shop today in Denver that has PA soft. They said they successfully coded my "used" cluster, however once I drove off, the DOT light is still on and DSC light. My car is a 2001 540 M sport 6 speed, and took cluster off 01 M5....I know the oil gauge wont work, thats fine..I just want the DSC and dot light off...the coding did do something right, because the speedometer, temp gauge, and tach now match correctly...as they didn't before the coding. Any help would be grateful!
    Beau
    720-838-9510 beaubrant@aol.com

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by beaubrant View Post
    Hello All-
    I appreciate your posts on the e39 speedo coding, I bought a used speedo with almost the exact same miles as my car..I have driven around for two weeks getting the mils exact and pulled over on the side of the road at the exact same miles as my new "used" cluster..I plugged it in and of course, got the DOT tamper, but the miles are the same as my old cluster. I went to a independent shop today in Denver that has PA soft. They said they successfully coded my "used" cluster, however once I drove off, the DOT light is still on and DSC light. My car is a 2001 540 M sport 6 speed, and took cluster off 01 M5....I know the oil gauge wont work, thats fine..I just want the DSC and dot light off...the coding did do something right, because the speedometer, temp gauge, and tach now match correctly...as they didn't before the coding. Any help would be grateful!
    Beau
    720-838-9510 beaubrant@aol.com
    Beau,

I have some bad news for you... the mil dot will not go away since the M5 cluster cannot have your VIN (also referred to as the FGSTNR) number written to it. Model year 2001-2003 M5 gray face clusters, like a majority of the M5 clusters in the US that I have seen, have a one time write only chip in it that will only allow VIN programming if it reads 0 miles. I am even having this problem myself with a black face cluster from a 2000 M5. I have began to wonder if there is a way to manipulate the mileage on the cluster while it is out of the car to count all the way up to 99999 then revert to 000000... that may possible be the only way to trick the cluster into thinking it can be rewritten.

The DSC light however is due to the steering angle sensor (LEW) not being recalibrated. PA Soft needs to read that module and reset its calibration. Make sure your steering wheel is straight when you reset it... it may have been turned when the shop originally did it.

"coding" is simply done by copying your central ZCS coding from a module like your EWS module or light control module (LCM) to the cluster (IKE). PA Soft CAN do this coding, but will fail when trying to write your VIN number to your IKE.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you REALLY REALLY want all of the oil temp functions and RPM lights to work, your 540i would need to be flashed with ECU/DME software from the X5 4.6is. The software that the M62tuB46 uses enables the oil temp sensor to transmit the signal over CAN for the cluster to use the function. If you have a tuner DME software however, it will be erased.

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Hmmm. I have an 02 m5 with silver face in my car.no tamper dot.
    Had to write the vin using pa soft. The code zcs code using dis 4.4.
    I know of 3 others that have the same cluster too.

I'd guess the shop coded it wrong.

My Cars
    With wheels
    Beau,

I have some bad news for you... the mil dot will not go away since the M5 cluster cannot have your VIN (also referred to as the FGSTNR) number written to it.
    You have not read that DIY, did you :-)

Alpine 7even is offline The King Of E38 Custom BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e38 iL, F-e38 iL, e23 L7
    so the autologic system is a one stop recode on a late model e38-e39? oil temp lights and all?

-2000 iL Individual. VF Supercharged at 12psi, Dinan MAF and TB, 6spd 420g swap, Euro under body guards, strong strut, N62 engine cover, Hydro trunk, Full suspension mods, Brembo F+R big brakes, custom headliner/interior, Bi-Xenon headlights, wide screen nav/mk4, Custom splash screen (I make them), coded video module with custom made harness, reverse camera, Intravee II, factory rear screen entertainment console, rear comms armrest, rear blower, seat back tables and writing tablet, all euro options coded on etc.
    -1997 iL. Pioneer 8500nex double din/Avic navigation, swc and dsp still functional. Reverse camera, full suspension upgrades, leather dash, console and door cards, rear blower, Re-upholstered seats, facelift sport contour seats, heated steering wheel, 750 front brakes, custom cup holder replacing the front ash tray, all euro options coded, headliner in black, rear headliner MID console.

My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 7even View Post
    so the autologic system is a one stop recode on a late model e38-e39? oil temp lights and all?
    Nope. Only way to make the lights work is to run a x5 4.6 tune on your car.
    I doubt that would be a good idea.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRliterbikz View Post
    Hmmm. I have an 02 m5 with silver face in my car.no tamper dot.
    Had to write the vin using pa soft. The code zcs code using dis 4.4.
    I know of 3 others that have the same cluster too.

I'd guess the shop coded it wrong.
    Hey GSXRliterbikz,
    I also live in New England and I am interested in getting one for my 540ia in the future.
    Where did you go to get your cluster programed?
    Last edited by MarlberCruz; 11-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    2003 540iA///MSport
    Mods:

///M5 Automatic Folding Mirrors,
    ///M5 Rear view Mirror(Thanks to LaLaRay),
    ///M-Tech 1 Dual stage steering wheel (Thanks to tmvE39E53Z32TT),
    Old Style "Wolf Whistle" Alarm Siren,
    E38 18-Way Contour Seats (Thanks to GSXRliterbikz),
    E53 x5 4.6 Sport Cluster (Thanks to GSXRliterbikz),
    E38 center armrest with iPhone 4 craddle (Thanks to GSXRliterbikz),
    Slotted & Drilled Rotors with Stainless Steel Brake Lines,
    19" M Parallel wheels
    (Thanks to DennisCooper)
    Brushed Titanium Trim Vynil Wrap

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Nope. Only way to make the lights work is to run a x5 4.6 tune on your car.
    I doubt that would be a good idea.
    Yeah and as pointed out above esp. for those w/ manuals. ECU will be looking for the tranny module and be angry when it can't find it.

You might be able to save the data space ("tune" as most call it) from the non-4.6, then restore that over the 4.6 software afterwards and have it work, or, it could also not work at all.

The 'right way' answer is as mentioned above - get a tuner to figure out what mechanism is set in the 4.6 code to have it send over CAN, however there's 2 possibilities there -
    1. that it is a data space flag, which would be great and easy and could easily be retrofit, or
    2. that it is truly new programming code to enable the function in which case it's much more complicated and you'd be as above - trying to retrofit the 4.4 tuning to the 4.6 program.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

Yeah and as pointed out above esp. for those w/ manuals. ECU will be looking for the tranny module and be angry when it can't find it.

You might be able to save the data space ("tune" as most call it) from the non-4.6, then restore that over the 4.6 software afterwards and have it work, or, it could also not work at all.

The 'right way' answer is as mentioned above - get a tuner to figure out what mechanism is set in the 4.6 code to have it send over CAN, however there's 2 possibilities there -
    1. that it is a data space flag, which would be great and easy and could easily be retrofit, or
    2. that it is truly new programming code to enable the function in which case it's much more complicated and you'd be as above - trying to retrofit the 4.4 tuning to the 4.6 program.
    Its definitely a data tune difference. The newer post 01 540 auto/manual and x5 4.4 have identical programming segments. The setting is more than a flag and requires a few maps in data segment to be changed.

Us guys with 740s and older 540s have our work cut out for us. Unless there actually is a map and programming in the e38 tune to get it to work. Nextgen7 alludes to this in his other posts but no details. Our best bet is to retro our tune based of the 4.6 or even 4.4 x5. Ldp also changed to dmtl and the newer tunes expect something different than a vacuum controled pump. Euro guys don't have to worry about this. It can be disabled in us tunes but not sure that's a good idea.

Simply flashing the 4.6 tune on a US car with the older ldp will throw a ses.

My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlberCruz View Post
    Hey GSXRliterbikz, I also live in New England and I am interested in getting one for my 540ia in the future. Where did you go to get your cluster programed?
    I did it myself.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
    I did it myself.
    Oh, okay.
    2003 540iA///MSport
    Mods:

19" M Parallel wheels
    (Thanks to DennisCooper)

My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Oh, okay.
    If you need coding done, I'm not too far from you.

Alpine 7even is offline The King Of E38 Custom BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e38 iL, F-e38 iL, e23 L7
    Nick wanna come do mine? Lol

-2000 iL Individual. VF Supercharged at 12psi, Dinan MAF and TB, 6spd 420g swap, Euro under body guards, strong strut, N62 engine cover, Hydro trunk, Full suspension mods, Brembo F+R big brakes, custom headliner/interior, Bi-Xenon headlights, wide screen nav/mk4, Custom splash screen (I make them), coded video module with custom made harness, reverse camera, Intravee II, factory rear screen entertainment console, rear comms armrest, rear blower, seat back tables and writing tablet, all euro options coded on etc.
    -1997 iL. Pioneer 8500nex double din/Avic navigation, swc and dsp still functional. Reverse camera, full suspension upgrades, leather dash, console and door cards, rear blower, Re-upholstered seats, facelift sport contour seats, heated steering wheel, 750 front brakes, custom cup holder replacing the front ash tray, all euro options coded, headliner in black, rear headliner MID console.

My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 7even View Post
    Nick wanna come do mine? Lol
    Let me brainstorm for a bit. If you give me your zcs and vin, I might be able to do it for you.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
    If you need coding done, I'm not too far from you.
    Sounds good. I'll let you know once I get the Hardware.
    2003 540iA///MSport
    Mods:

19" M Parallel wheels
    (Thanks to DennisCooper)

My Cars
    2000 328Ci AW
    Hi there to all

i would like to get somefeedback regarding an issue i am having with a replacement cluster for my E46 328ci automatic

The vehicle originally came with a motometer gauge cluster. The cluster went bad and i picked up a cluster from a 2002 E46 325ci automatic

This cluster uses the M35080 eeprom and i managed to get an xprog-m v5 programmer to reset mileage and vin but after doing so the cluster LED panel says "CodE" and have been stuck there ever since. I am looking for an alternative to resolving this issue

My question is if i source another motometer cluster from 323ci or 328ci auto or manual, would indeed BMW Scanner be able to reset VIN, transfer ZCS, reset mileage and code a manual cluster to steptronic as your M5 cluster retrofit indicates?

i would assume if the motometer eeprom is a 93S66 the above procedures could be done without any problems? Also as my car has 103400 original kilometers would i set mileage to exactly that reading so that it would fit perfectly with the light control module reading?

I would hate to buy another cluster and end up in the same situation i am in now. Any feedback you could provide with regards to this matter will be highly appreciated

regards
    mark

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by se93 View Post
    Hi there to all i would like to get somefeedback regarding an issue i am having with a replacement cluster for my E46 328ci automatic The vehicle originally came with a motometer gauge cluster. The cluster went bad and i picked up a cluster from a 2002 E46 325ci automatic This cluster uses the M35080 eeprom and i managed to get an xprog-m v5 programmer to reset mileage and vin but after doing so the cluster LED panel says "CodE" and have been stuck there ever since. I am looking for an alternative to resolving this issue My question is if i source another motometer cluster from 323ci or 328ci auto or manual, would indeed BMW Scanner be able to reset VIN, transfer ZCS, reset mileage and code a manual cluster to steptronic as your M5 cluster retrofit indicates? i would assume if the motometer eeprom is a 93S66 the above procedures could be done without any problems? Also as my car has 103400 original kilometers would i set mileage to exactly that reading so that it would fit perfectly with the light control module reading? I would hate to buy another cluster and end up in the same situation i am in now. Any feedback you could provide with regards to this matter will be highly appreciated regards mark
    well, dont know what eprom have, but once, with the PASOFT I change the odometer and VIN of the e46 323ci cluster...... without a problem.....

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
    Hey GSXRliterbikz,

I picked up a cluster from a european e53 X5 4.6. Its still in transit & it needs some pixel repairs but once that is done, I'll be getting in contact with you.
    2003 540iA///MSport
    Mods:

19" M Parallel wheels
    (Thanks to DennisCooper)

My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Hey GSXRliterbikz, I picked up a cluster from a european e53 X5 4.6. Its still in transit & it needs some pixel repairs but once that is done, I'll be getting in contact with you.
    Ok. Shoot me a pm when your ready.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWPlanetDude View Post
    You have not read that DIY, did you :-)
    I did,.. thats when I learned that the my cluster would not allow the reprogramming of the FGSTNR. Also tried it with an Autologic.. same issue.. VIN would not wite.

GSXR -- would you be able to help me do it?

My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    I did,.. thats when I learned that the my cluster would not allow the reprogramming of the FGSTNR. Also tried it with an Autologic.. same issue.. VIN would not wite. GSXR -- would you be able to help me do it?
    Possibly. Pasoft is what I use to write the vin. Then dis to write the zcs.
    I'm going to try remotely coding a friends cluster by having him send it to me. If it works I'd happily try yours.
    If not and you want to take a weekend trip up to nh.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast