Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The M5 cluster retrofit

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3
    That appears to be in his 2003 530i
    Last edited by shled; 03-20-2013 at 01:12 PM.

My Cars
    With wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by age109 View Post
    Do you know the year of his car?
    We already discussed this before. His car is a post 1999 model. 530i...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8BVwqIn7tI

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shled View Post
    That appears to be in his 2003 530i, not an e38.
    As we said before it can work only if you have a post 09/1998 car (e39/e38)

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWPlanetDude View Post

We already discussed this before. His car is a post 1999 model. 530i...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8BVwqIn7tI

- - - Updated - - -

As we said before it can work only if you have a post 09/1998 car (e39/e38)
    Post 99 can mean alot, Shled clarified the year. 2002+ 540s have different tunes. Thats why i asked. The 99-01 540 is identical to the 740 tune except for a few cruise control maps.

My Cars
    2001 740IL,2000 540I/6
    Ok, so anybody has damos file for 540 me7.2?

My Cars
    With wheels
    Post 99 can mean alot, Shled clarified the year. 2002+ 540s have different tunes. Thats why i asked. The 99-01 540 is identical to the 740 tune except for a few cruise control maps.
    The tune is irrelevant here, only DME 7.x can send the oil temp over the CAN bus....

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWPlanetDude View Post
    The tune is irrelevant here, only DME 7.x can send the oil temp over the CAN bus....
    So then how did the guy posted above do it? Does the 3.0 in his e39 have the same DME that we have in the V8?

My Cars
    With wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRliterbikz View Post
    So then how did the guy posted above do it? Does the 3.0 in his e39 have the same DME that we have in the V8?
    No the guy made a custom board apparently, I could not remember, I found this old discussion we had a few months back
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t=Darren+Smith

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Ok so I got a new black face M5 cluster.

Plugged it up to the car, hooked up the BMW scanner, opened up IKE, went to reprogramming, went to try and write the FGSTNR (VIN), and I get the same error that a user got earlier in this thread about having to use factory reset to then write the VIN. When I tried to use the Factory Reset option, it was greyed out. I changed the algorithm to a different one ( I think it was 9566 -1), and it allowed me to click it. I clicked it, it asked me to backup the EEPROM first, so I did. Then I clicked the reset again, and it failed with an E=2 message.

I WAS able to do the EWS => IKE copy and that did copy over my ZCS settings, but I cant write the VIN to the FGSTNR.

My coolant temp is working fine, straight up at operating temperature. My DSC light is NOT on, everything seems to be fine except the RPM lights, the oil temp gauge, and the mileage with the tamper dot.

I'm going to take it by a local indy shop that has an Autologic to see what they can do on Monday.

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    I'm very active on the other forum and here is what I did and quite a few guys liked it. I also wanted the M5 cluster, mainly for the oil temp. After realizing the potential cost and headache, I've come up with this. Benefit of my setup is the having the oil pressure gauge as well. Total cost was less under $200 and about 8 hours of careful measuring, drilling, rewiring etc. As far as I know I'm the first one to come up with this. I never liked the location of OEM headlight/fog switches. After I realized that VDO gauges are exact fit for the switches location, I came up with the plan. The hardest part was drilling the lower dash and installing the headlight/fog switches flush with the vinyl in order to look factory. The oil temp. part was fairly simple as the sender replaces the factory drain plug and uses only one wire. The oil pressure was very tricky as even though I bought the correct dual sender VDO in order to get rid of factory oil pressure sender, it still gave the false low oil pressure warning. I ended up making the T oil distribution block and everything works. The gauges are very accurate and oil pressure is about 60 psi at start up and about 10-15 psi at warm engine idle. Oil temp is about 210-230 when fully warmed up.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    I'm very active on the other forum and here is what I did and quite a few guys liked it. I also wanted the M5 cluster, mainly for the oil temp. After realizing the potential cost and headache, I've come up with this. Benefit of my setup is the having the oil pressure gauge as well. Total cost was less under $200 and about 8 hours of careful measuring, drilling, rewiring etc. As far as I know I'm the first one to come up with this. I never liked the location of OEM headlight/fog switches. After I realized that VDO gauges are exact fit for the switches location, I came up with the plan. The hardest part was drilling the lower dash and installing the headlight/fog switches flush with the vinyl in order to look factory. The oil temp. part was fairly simple as the sender replaces the factory drain plug and uses only one wire. The oil pressure was very tricky as even though I bought the correct dual sender VDO in order to get rid of factory oil pressure sender, it still gave the false low oil pressure warning. I ended up making the T oil distribution block and everything works. The gauges are very accurate and oil pressure is about 60 psi at start up and about 10-15 psi at warm engine idle. Oil temp is about 210-230 when fully warmed up.
    WOW!

I like that idea. I would have never thought of the foglight and headlight switches to be such perfect spot for VDO's. That is genius, very cool.

I tried going through the options available with an Autologic computer with an indy shop owner friend of mine, and we could not find any options available to turn on oil over CANbus. Had trouble coding the vin to the M5 cluster as well, it just wouldn't take. It accepts the ZCS, but that's it. I have a mileage difference and mil dot on the M5 cluster right now. PA Soft just keeps saying I need to factory system reset, but that option is greyed out. I tried to hex code the VIN in through PA Soft, it would return errors writing. It scans the IKE KOMBI as using hw:12 sw:13 and 93S66 - sw13 algorithm ,.. it is a black-faced cluster out of a 2000 M5.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this information to be pretty useful for this project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Thank you for the praise. I just got lucky with the headlight/fog switches being the exact fit for the VDO gauges. As much as I admire the look and functionality the M5 cluster, it still lacks oil pressure gauge. What was BMW thinking it's beyond me. I also have the mileage odometer discrepancy due to replacing the LCM with the used one. It doesn't bother me a bit for the fact that I'm planning the keep the car for a long time. If I ever try to sell it, I'll disclose the real reason and my car is probably special enough (it has a few mild modifications) to attract the real gearhead who's more concerned with the service/repair records and the condition of the car. I have the AutoEnginuity scan tool which can't do much compared to Autologic, but it's still very useful scan tool. I'll save that oil sensor info, it's quite interesting. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
    WOW!

I like that idea. I would have never thought of the foglight and headlight switches to be such perfect spot for VDO's. That is genius, very cool.

I tried going through the options available with an Autologic computer with an indy shop owner friend of mine, and we could not find any options available to turn on oil over CANbus. Had trouble coding the vin to the M5 cluster as well, it just wouldn't take. It accepts the ZCS, but that's it. I have a mileage difference and mil dot on the M5 cluster right now. PA Soft just keeps saying I need to factory system reset, but that option is greyed out. I tried to hex code the VIN in through PA Soft, it would return errors writing. It scans the IKE KOMBI as using hw:12 sw:13 and 93S66 - sw13 algorithm ,.. it is a black-faced cluster out of a 2000 M5.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this information to be pretty useful for this project.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    So about a month ago I picked up a cluster out a 2000 M5 (black-face cluster, non M35080 chip). Mine seems to be partially working... as like it is reading a temp but in the wrong format (Celsius vs Fahrenheit).

On a cold start, just about all of the RPM LED's are lit up, but then about 20 seconds later, it drops to just the last two. My oil temp needle moves along with it as it warms up too. I noticed that it reads what I believe might be the coolant temp as Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, but still uses the same number figure to measure.. ie. hidden menu test 16 shows oil temp 110c, but gauge shows well above 210f. The gauge ends up almost next to 300f once fully warmed up. On a cold day, all RPM LED's are lit, on a warm day, the first 2 are off.

I have full working versions of EDIABAS and INPA,.. I also am familiar with how to use WinKFP. I honestly dont know if these tools are the right ones to use to get this working, but it allows me to do a lot of readings and reprogramming/recoding features.

Here is a youtube video i recently posted of this:

http://youtu.be/WtVvCq8XJdg

My Cars
    bmw 530iA my2002

Plugged it up to the car, hooked up the BMW scanner, opened up IKE, went to reprogramming, went to try and write the FGSTNR (VIN), and I get the same error that a user got earlier in this thread about having to use factory reset to then write the VIN. When I tried to use the Factory Reset option, it was greyed out. I changed the algorithm to a different one ( I think it was 9566 -1), and it allowed me to click it. I clicked it, it asked me to backup the EEPROM first, so I did. Then I clicked the reset again, and it failed with an E=2 message.

I WAS able to do the EWS => IKE copy and that did copy over my ZCS settings, but I cant write the VIN to the FGSTNR.

My coolant temp is working fine, straight up at operating temperature. My DSC light is NOT on, everything seems to be fine except the RPM lights, the oil temp gauge, and the mileage with the tamper dot.

I'm going to take it by a local indy shop that has an Autologic to see what they can do on Monday.
    I'm stucked at this point but my DSC light's still on.
    I have a "93S66 (tach)" which doesn't let me change the VIN. So I recoded everything (but odometer and VIN) as the old cluster was. Why my DSC light doesn't want to shut down?

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by incuboveneziano View Post
    I'm stucked at this point but my DSC light's still on.
    I have a "93S66 (tach)" which doesn't let me change the VIN. So I recoded everything (but odometer and VIN) as the old cluster was. Why my DSC light doesn't want to shut down?
    You have to code your LEW (Steering angle sensor). There should be an option to resync it or allow it to copy coding from another module like the LCM.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, just went through the test menus while the car was still cold, here are the temp readings:

outside air temp: 85f
    Oil Temp Gauge: slightly above 210f

hidden menus #7 and 16:
    KTMP (coolant temp): 29c
    ATEMP (ambient temp): 30c
    OELTEMP (oil temp): 105c

I have no idea why it would read my oil temp as being 105c while cold... unless it was actually 105f and even then, the engine hasnt been turned over in over 48 hours. I believe my RPM lights and oil temp gauge work fine but it reads that oil temp accurately.

My Cars
    bmw 530iA my2002
    You have to code your LEW (Steering angle sensor). There should be an option to resync it or allow it to copy coding from another module like the LCM.
    I've done two things with the LEW: cleared adaptations and recoded the LEW to the cluster's VIN. I don't know which one was the cause to the ASC light, but at the moment the problem is fixed, thank you!!
    But at this point I don't understand one thing.
    Why the IKE VIN should match the EWS VIN, if everything (except the wrong odometer) is working fine?

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    I've done two things with the LEW: cleared adaptations and recoded the LEW to the cluster's VIN. I don't know which one was the cause to the ASC light, but at the moment the problem is fixed, thank you!!
    But at this point I don't understand one thing.
    Why the IKE VIN should match the EWS VIN, if everything (except the wrong odometer) is working fine?
    You're welcome... glad you were able to get it fixed.

The mileage on the IKE is off and continues to count from the original it had... also the manipulation dot is lit which is annoying

My Cars
    bmw 530iA my2002
    The mileage on the IKE is off and continues to count from the original it had...
    According to this post http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post23680923 after 200km (160mi) there will be nothing but an error stored in the...ike. Is that a relevant problem?

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    According to this post http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post23680923 after 200km (160mi) there will be nothing but an error stored in the...ike. Is that a relevant problem?
    I read a different article a long time ago that said after 100km (60mi) it would store it and continue every 100km there after. It's not necessarily a relevant problem, but the day I choose to sell the car, I would like to avoid mileage doubt from a potential buyer.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    This is mainly for those that have M5 clusters in their cars and hopefully have them working successfully. I have a 2003 540i M-Sport that I got with an M5 cluster already installed in the car. It seems to be functional and the mileage checks out and of course there is no tamper dot.

At start up, not all the Rev Counter lights come on and the remaining two stay on while driving. Is this normal or is more coding required? The coolant temperature gauge comes up and stays at 12 O'Clock or vertical with no fluctuations. Can I assume this is functioning well as well?

The Gear Selector indicator on this cluster works either in normal drive mode or in Sport (Steptronic) mode. The only things that baffle me at the moment on this cluster are the Rev Counter lights and the Oil Temp Gauge. It starts up with the car on first start up and then settles right around the 200 degree mark. It never moves up or down - I am not sure it is getting the appropriate signal. Is there any way to confirm?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Here's a quick clip. The SES light is an on-going issue I am working on.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    @ aquila. Anyone with a 2002-2003 540 has the maps setup to get oil temp working. The problem is that the map is just a "dummy" map and does not send the correct values. The x5 4.6 and 540 2002+ have same .0pa files yet different .0da. The map locations are all the same so its just a matter of tweaking the map and reflashing.

Us guys with 740s and older 540s have our work cutout for us for several reasons. One the leak diagnostic pump is different and will present a ses light if not shut off in dme. Second the maps/functionality dont exist in the stock flashes so you have to flash a newer 540 or x5 flash and work backwards to the older 740 tunes.

Work in progress when time permits...
    Last edited by age109; 07-09-2013 at 01:15 PM.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    @ aquila. Anyone with a 2002-2003 540 has the maps setup to get oil temp working. The problem is that the map is just a "dummy" map and does not send the correct values. The x5 4.6 and 540 2002+ have same .0pa files yet different .0da. The map locations are all the same so its just a matter of tweaking the map and reflashing.

Us guys with 740s and older 540s have our work cutout for us for several reasons. One the leak diagnostic pump is different and will present a ses light if not shut off in dme. Second the maps/functionality dont exist in the stock flashes so you have to flash a newer 540 or x5 flash and work backwards to the older 740 tunes.

Work in progress when time permits...
    Thanks for the response. Sounds like the only thing outstanding to do on this cluster then would be to get correct mapping done? Can you direct me on how to do this? Maybe a write up or something?

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post

Thanks for the response. Sounds like the only thing outstanding to do on this cluster then would be to get correct mapping done? Can you direct me on how to do this? Maybe a write up or something?
    You have to use either winols or tunerpro, or straight hex editor to change the map then the harder part is correcting checksums. You can use galetto or mpps to dump the 64k bin and I think mpps has a checksum corrector built in.

I'm actually planning to make files that I can just use winfkp to flash. Revtor made a very nice addon to ncs dummy that will help do this.

I did a ton of research to get this far I just have had no time to actually do it. When I do, I will do a writeup. Finally settled in my house so hopefully I can get back into this.

Short answer is that you need more software then what comes with the bmw software laptops. Once you get that you need to be comfortable with the tuning tools as you are essentially tuning your dme.

PM me if you need more help.

Alpine 7even is offline The King Of E38 Custom BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e38 iL, F-e38 iL, e23 L7
    So can I correctly assume thatt if I use auto logic to recode my cluster, everything will be taken care of? Tamper dot, mileage, certain check lights, shifter menu, oil temp lights etc. Itll be gong into my 2000 740il. Thanks in advance!

-2000 iL Individual. VF Supercharged at 12psi, Dinan MAF and TB, 6spd 420g swap, Euro under body guards, strong strut, N62 engine cover, Hydro trunk, Full suspension mods, Brembo F+R big brakes, custom headliner/interior, Bi-Xenon headlights, wide screen nav/mk4, Custom splash screen (I make them), coded video module with custom made harness, reverse camera, Intravee II, factory rear screen entertainment console, rear comms armrest, rear blower, seat back tables and writing tablet, all euro options coded on etc.
    -1997 iL. Pioneer 8500nex double din/Avic navigation, swc and dsp still functional. Reverse camera, full suspension upgrades, leather dash, console and door cards, rear blower, Re-upholstered seats, facelift sport contour seats, heated steering wheel, 750 front brakes, custom cup holder replacing the front ash tray, all euro options coded, headliner in black, rear headliner MID console.

My Cars
    540i-6

G Man,

I am in the same predicament as you are. However, I have some additional info that may be useful.

Car> 97 540iA (converted to 6speed manual)

I performed an M5 cluster swap on my car about 4 years ago using a 2002 M5 gray-face cluster (algorithm: M35080-1). I was able to write VIN no prob using PA-Soft 1.36 then coded ZCS using DIS V43 no problem, but mileage was still incorrect (lower mileage on M5 cluster than on chassis). Like you, this was no biggie but I want it right for yearly inspection purposes and for when I am ready to sell car). I sent that cluster out to get mileage corrected from a douchebag in FLA and he ripped me off (pulled the guts outta my good cluster and replaced with garbage).

Fast forward to 2013. I purchased a beautiful 20xx M5 black-face cluster (algorithm: 93S66-SW13) that already had the LCD repair professionally done & the mileage correction done. I was set and ready to perform the swap. Easy right? Wrong. For some reason these black-face clusters with this algorithm do not allow the VIN to be coded as you and other member have already discovered. I posted to get help on this topic in other forums and was advised to get the more robust PA-Soft 1.4. While I waited for 1.4 to arrive I experimented to get rid of the tamper dot by writing the VIN from the black-face M5 cluster to the LCM (since it wouldn't allow me to simply write the chassis VIN to the IKE) to prove that these are the only two modules where the VIN must match to get rid of the annoying tamper dot. Well guess what, it worked. Note that the car never moved an inch while this was going on. I went back and put the original VIN back in the LCM. It took, but it also f*#@$d up the ISN sync between my EWS3.2 and DME which means car now doesn't start. I even put my original 97 cluster back in and still no start. I am posting this so others DO NOT TRY THIS!!! EWS is much more of a pain than these M5 cluster retrofit issues.
    I ended up learning more about EWS then I ever wanted to and was steered in all different types of directions by the dealer, members, and even by RPM Motorsports.

I fixed the EWS problem by purchasing a new EWS4.3 which I had to code and re-align with DME despite the dealer stating it "should" come coded. Great, now car starts again. Back to original cluster problem. With my original 97 cluster installed PA Soft 1.4 showed everything including the mileage between the IKE and the EWS perfect! No red highlighted fields! I have never seen this. This was due to the new EWS4.3 being in a virgin state as far as mileage. Now I try the dreaded black-face cluster again. Still will not allow me to write VIN. ZCS was already coded from previous attempt. I remove it and install a "different" M5 gray-face cluster and it allows me to write VIN & ZCS. Go figure. Too bad the pixels are shot on this cluster so I install my original 97 cluster and now the mileage on the brand new EWS jumped 256 km (which it obtained from the dreaded black-face M5 cluster). The LCM mileage didn't budge so WHY does the EWS assume mileage (only higher mileage) immediately?

I just need to be able to write the VIN to this black-face M5 cluster and I'll be fine with the oil temp gauge inop issue for now. With the EWS there are tools out there that can reset such modules. The cheaper ones require you to disassemble and solder and such. The high dollar ones can do it thru OBDII. What tool can we use to "reset" the IKE? I'm assuming that if I can zero out the mileage on this IKE then PA-Soft will allow me to write the VIN (even though I already paid a lot of money to get the correct mileage put in this cluster).

Again I'm sharing this so others can learn from my mistakes because even used these M5 clusters aren't cheap.

Constructive responses only please.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Speaking of black faced m5 clusters. This just popped up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-BMW-M5-...-/290952958470

Can anyone confirm if this has the m35080 eeprom? Or do these all have the 93S66 eeprom.
    Last edited by age109; 07-29-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast