Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The M5 cluster retrofit

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530

Some further Info

- Coolant temperature: Not reporting correctly. Goes up to 3/4. The reason why is that the M5 uses a double sensor to monitor the coolant temperature.

Since you have the ZCS code in the IKE now, simply recode the IKE (Autologic or BMW software) and the gauges will be set for the m62 engine. Coolant will be back in the middle. Or use NCS to go and change the require entries to the necessary values. Bit more of a PITA.
    Nice write up.

Craig

My Cars
    740iL Dinan & M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cdh View Post

[I]Since you have the ZCS code in the IKE now, simply recode the IKE (Autologic or BMW software) and the gauges will be set for the m62 engine. Coolant will be back in the middle. Or use NCS to go and change the require entries to the necessary values. Bit more of a PITA.
    Nice write up.

Craig
    Yep. My coolant temp was off too (not as much as yours, it was at about 1 o'clock) but righted itself after coding the IKE. Coding also adjusted the IKE to my larger fuel tank and so the tank indicator became more accurate. CDH knows what he is saying.
    ...on the gas
    Shled
    Charter Member, BMW e38 Real Beef Club

2001 Dinan 740i (stage 3) Supercharger, High Flow Throttle Body, HF Mass Air Meter, Free Flow Intake Manifold, Stage 3 Suspension (matched set performance tuned springs, camber plates, front struts and rear shocks), Stage 2 Front & Rear Big Brake Conversion, Stage 5 Supercharger Engine & Trans Software, Quaife LSD (from M5), HF Cold Air intake, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, e60 M5 bi-xenon HIDs; BMW e46 ///M3 flappy paddle 3-spoke sport wheel: aspheric, electrochromic, power fold mirrors: factory hydraulic trunk: BM53 Radio: BMW TCU: iPhone integration audio, video to AUX w/USB charging: M5 large body diff w/QUAIFE internals: (sig limit reache...

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    I'm really curious about the things I highlighted with the green squares. Do these have any control over how the engine sends the oil temp signals?? What do they control?

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    With wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
    I'm really curious about the things I highlighted with the green squares. Do these have any control over how the engine sends the oil temp signals?? What do they control?

I have no idea, I did some research before but could not find anything about it.
    I did not want to take my chances and try them on.

I disabled the oil pressure option but did not make a difference.

One error I have made is to untick the "consumption via CAN", it actually disable OBC reading and shows a value of 99.9MPG. I will update the DIY.
    So yes, this option needs to stay ticked.

Now time for NCS coding anyway, BMW Scanner is cool and handy, but has some minor bugs and shows its limitations pretty quickly.

Ok so i found some IKE values for the oil temperature in NCS.

OELTEMPERATUR_SKALA (Oil temperature scale)
    ANZEIGE_KVA/OEL oel_temp (Oil temperature)

Not sure which one would be correct. Anyone?
    Last edited by BMWPlanetDude; 09-16-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530
    IRC, Engine factor>analog or CAN signal as related to tach. Term 61 is alt voltage/charge indicator and Term 50 is starter control. None of them have anything to do with the tach lights or oil temp gauge as that is controlled by the DME. M62TU engines require custom DME sw/calibration to provide the signal for this.

If you want to know the values of the various 'terminal' numbers, do a search for DIN 72552. That is the standard for automotive electric terminal numbers.

About 5 years ago on one of the coding forums there was an effort to get the oil temp information working on the M5 cluster in a non M car. Using NCS to change any of the fsw_psw parameters for the IKE had no effect.

Craig

My Cars
    With wheels
    IRC, Engine factor>analog or CAN signal as related to tach. Term 61 is alt voltage/charge indicator and Term 50 is starter control. None of them have anything to do with the tach lights or oil temp gauge as that is controlled by the DME. M62TU engines require custom DME sw/calibration to provide the signal for this.

If you want to know the values of the various 'terminal' numbers, do a search for DIN 72552. That is the standard for automotive electric terminal numbers.

About 5 years ago on one of the coding forums there was an effort to get the oil temp information working on the M5 cluster in a non M car. Using NCS to change any of the fsw_psw parameters for the IKE had no effect.

Craig
    Ok so what did buddy? Obviously you know the answer to that whole thing, it has been on forums for years, but nobody cared to disclose the changes necessary. This is your chance to shine. Help us if you have the answers. What is the point otherwise.

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWPlanetDude View Post
    Ok so what did?
    As already stated here and else where
    -M62TU engines require custom DME sw/calibration to provide the signal for this. Allegedly this can be done to DME 7.2 via WinOLS. Tuner that did this custom calibration is NickG of techniquetuning. Revived the thread back in April of this year with his findings. Your fellow board member e39bmw has show this modification or was it Sylv. Search on one of those should find it for you.
    -WinOLS is sold by EVC Electronic http://www.evc.de/en/

Craig

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    -M62TU engines require custom DME sw/calibration to provide the signal for this. Allegedly this can be done to DME 7.2 via WinOLS. Tuner that did this custom calibration is NickG of techniquetuning. Revived the thread back in April of this year with his findings. Your fellow board member e39bmw has show this modification or was it Sylv. Search on one of those should find it for you.

Craig
    I think this is the thread you are speaking of
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1803851

I am expecting my X5 4.6 cluster to arrive by Wednesday (according to UPS). Craig, I will email you then for the help.. thanks

My Cars
    With wheels

Craig
    Yeah well I think we established the dme needs to be altered to enable oil temp over can. This feature does exist on any e39 from 09/1997, which means dme 5 and 7. Probably the same story on e38.
    Now this is becoming less and less of a diy and obviously people wi have to pay hundreds to get this done. I will do some more digging and place a few calls and keep you updated guys. The oil temp is really the last thing to fix at this stage. I will publish the rest shortly.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Yeah well I think we established the dme needs to be altered to enable oil temp over can. This feature does exist on any e39 from 09/1997, which means dme 5 and 7. Probably the same story on e38.
    Now this is becoming less and less of a diy and obviously people wi have to pay hundreds to get this done. I will do some more digging and place a few calls and keep you updated guys. The oil temp is really the last thing to fix at this stage. I will publish the rest shortly.
    and what about the Coolant Temp Gauge? did you solve your 3/4 issue?

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    A video of mine fully working it is doable.

My oil temp reading is high as it starts at 210 and goes to just shy of 300 where it should start at 120 and go just shy of 210. I will play with it a little more to get this right but it can be done for sure.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJMh4EdGsRw[/ame]
    2001 540i6 Sport
    Engine Mods: Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan MAF, M60 Intake Manifold, Dinan SC Bracketing, Dinan Crank Pulley, Vortech V2 SQ SC, water/air intercooled @ 9.5 psi, 2 heat exchangers, Intercooler piping by Wicked CAS, Vortech BOV, 42lb injectors, high flow fuel pump, Custom Tuned by ACE performance, Evosport power pullies Exhaust Mods: A1 Headers, Random Technology 100 Cell cats, Dynomax Race Bullet, Eisennman Quad Race, 3" Stainless Piping, AEM wideband Suspension Mods: Eibach springs/sway bars, Koni Sports, Powerflex, BMP strut reinforcements, Dinan Strut Bars Brake Mods: M5 Brakes, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Axxis Ultimates, Bav Auto Drilled/Slotted Rotors Transmission Mods: 3.15 with Quaife LSD , Z4M shifter, UUC Transmission Mounts, Clutchmasters FX300 Aesthetics: M5 bumpers, M5 Mirrors, M5 Trunk Lip, M5 Instrument Cluster, M-tech door sills, M-tech side molding, Style 65s with Michelin PS2s, 35% tint all around

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricas45 View Post

My oil temp reading is high as it starts at 210 and goes to just shy of 300 where it should start at 120 and go just shy of 210. I will play with it a little more to get this right but it can be done for sure.
    So Bricas, who did your M5 cluster swap?

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    With wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJMh4EdGsRw
    Thanks but I dont mean to be a d1ck but we do not need this kind of post in this thread. If you have technical contributions to make or questions to ask, you are welcome, but telling us it can be done or others saying yes it can be done with a bmw software....yes thanks we know it already, it is like telling yes my car can run, with gas in the tank. I know, we all know that already. No offense meant, but hey, lets be serious for a minute ok?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg

So Bricas, who did your M5 cluster swap?
    I did
    2001 540i6 Sport
    Engine Mods: Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan MAF, M60 Intake Manifold, Dinan SC Bracketing, Dinan Crank Pulley, Vortech V2 SQ SC, water/air intercooled @ 9.5 psi, 2 heat exchangers, Intercooler piping by Wicked CAS, Vortech BOV, 42lb injectors, high flow fuel pump, Custom Tuned by ACE performance, Evosport power pullies Exhaust Mods: A1 Headers, Random Technology 100 Cell cats, Dynomax Race Bullet, Eisennman Quad Race, 3" Stainless Piping, AEM wideband Suspension Mods: Eibach springs/sway bars, Koni Sports, Powerflex, BMP strut reinforcements, Dinan Strut Bars Brake Mods: M5 Brakes, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Axxis Ultimates, Bav Auto Drilled/Slotted Rotors Transmission Mods: 3.15 with Quaife LSD , Z4M shifter, UUC Transmission Mounts, Clutchmasters FX300 Aesthetics: M5 bumpers, M5 Mirrors, M5 Trunk Lip, M5 Instrument Cluster, M-tech door sills, M-tech side molding, Style 65s with Michelin PS2s, 35% tint all around

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    I did
    how, or it's a top secret?

Thanks but I dont mean to be a d1ck but we do not need this kind of post in this thread. If you have technical contributions to make or questions to ask, you are welcome, but telling us it can be done or others saying yes it can be done with a bmw software....yes thanks we know it already, it is like telling yes my car can run, with gas in the tank. I know, we all know that already. No offense meant, but hey, lets be serious for a minute ok?
    this +1
    Last edited by jdjg; 09-18-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    Nothing secret about I don't do this for a living and have nothing to hide or protect.

All done about 2 years ago minus the oil temp.

Used PASoft 1.36 (I think) to code the vin in... And used NCSexpert to copy/paste coding from ZCS to IKE. This had everything working but the milage and the oil temp.

Milage I took the cluster out and opened it up soldered down the EEPROM programmer to the points on the circuit card (programmer comes with locations to solder to). Ran the EEPROM software to put the correct milage on the chip. Edit: you need an external 12v supply too. I used my HP lab power supply.

The oil temp remained inactive for a long time. And while I was at the shop during the tuning of my supercharger we borrowed an Autologics setup as we had to remove the Dinan tune and replace with the stock tune. That had to be done due to the way we were tuning the DME that is a different topic. Anyway, while we had the Autologics hooked up it was a 10 second job to have the DME send the oil temp. There were a few buttons we clicked from what I remember. I am more than happy to pull my coding data for you guys if that helps. My PASoft looks very different from yours but will pull screen shots for you guys this week so you can compare.

And I was only showing where mine is at currently. It is 99% there I just need to play with the coding. The m5 and 540i share the same level/temp sensor 12617508003. So it is not a sensor issue like I first thought. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jdjg

and what about the Coolant Temp Gauge? did you solve your 3/4 issue?
    This will go away when you code the IKE with with 3 coding parameters from the ZCS. I forget what they all are but have 2 letter abbreviations one is "SI" I believe. Anyways you need to copy/paste these from the ZCS (or any module) to the IKE.
    Last edited by Bricas45; 09-18-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    2001 540i6 Sport

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Nothing secret about I don't do this for a living and have nothing to hide or protect.

All done about 2 years ago minus the oil temp.

Used PASoft 1.36 (I think) to code the vin in... And used NCSexpert to copy/paste coding from ZCS to IKE. This had everything working but the milage and the oil temp.

Milage I took the cluster out and opened it up soldered down the EEPROM programmer to the points on the circuit card (programmer comes with locations to solder to). Ran the EEPROM software to put the correct milage on the chip. Edit: you need an external 12v supply too. I used my HP lab power supply.

The oil temp remained inactive for a long time. And while I was at the shop during the tuning of my supercharger we borrowed an Autologics setup as we had to remove the Dinan tune and replace with the stock tune. That had to be done due to the way we were tuning the DME that is a different topic. Anyway, while we had the Autologics hooked up it was a 10 second job to have the DME send the oil temp. There were a few buttons we clicked from what I remember. I am more than happy to pull my coding data for you guys if that helps. My PASoft looks very different from yours but will pull screen shots for you guys this week so you can compare.

And I was only showing where mine is at currently. It is 99% there I just need to play with the coding. The m5 and 540i share the same level/temp sensor 12617508003. So it is not a sensor issue like I first thought. Cheers.

This will go away when you code the IKE with with 3 coding parameters from the ZCS. I forget what they all are but have 2 letter abbreviations one is "SI" I believe. Anyways you need to copy/paste these from the ZCS (or any module) to the IKE.
    Oh boy... I have Dinan software on my DME right now... which coincidentally I've needed to get upgraded to use the Dinan manifold.

Will I have to wipe it out to do the enabling of the oil temp?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G.

Oh boy... I have Dinan software on my DME right now... which coincidentally I've needed to get upgraded to use the Dinan manifold.

Will I have to wipe it out to do the enabling of the oil temp?
    No you will not it work fine. This was for a completely separate issue from the cluster. This was for our custom tuning for the supercharged set up I have.
    2001 540i6 Sport

My Cars
    With wheels
    I spoke to Nick Glantzis from Technique Tuning today. He is saying the oil temp over CAN is only available on the DME 7.2 and not 5.x
    Which in essence means it only works on 09/1998 (M62TU VANOS) engines and not on non VANOS engine.
    I believe the man, he knows a great deal more than me about that.

But I am not happy and ready to give up on the oil temp :-)

I just did a new copy of the ZCS info from the EWS to the IKE, I did not get the chance to test the coolant gauge yet. But earlier on today before my change, the DSC light was gone for good. I had not recoded it yet. I pressed the button, it did light up, pressed again, went away, drove a few miles, stopped, gone again, it never came back up. It looks like this light trigger is linked to some self learning brain. I may have driven about 100 miles since I installed I think.

Oh and I got a case opened yesterday with Autologic in the UK, they came back saying today they do not support any of my queries lol, but to try whatever I want on their unit. I will tomorrow indeed. Wanted to hear from them first, but they don't seem to be too bothered. I will post an update tomorrow on the findings about the coolant temp and the oil temp (If at all possible, as it does not seem to be the case).
    Last edited by BMWPlanetDude; 09-18-2012 at 05:35 PM.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    I spoke to Nick Glantzis from Technique Tuning today. He is saying the oil temp over CAN is only available on the DME 7.2 and not 5.x
    Which in essence means it only works on 09/1998 (M62TU VANOS) engines and not on non VANOS engine.
    I believe the man, he knows a great deal more than me about that.
    Lucky for me, I have an '03.. pretty sure im on the 7.2 DME. So, do you have a screenshot of what the settings on an 7.2 DME would look like?

I'm looking at this project as making more sense to just retrofit the whole M5 or 4.6is engine into the car

My Cars
    With wheels
    Last edited by BMWPlanetDude; 09-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    So looking at the nettodata file with ncsdummy there are 2 commands oil temp lower limit and oil temp upper limit. They seem funny currently with there having data unit of 33 and the upper having data of 14! Doesn't seem to make sense the lower being larger than the upper limit. I will play with recoding these values when i get the car back. I can also make the needle move with the "EC inst" in INPA activatation of the IKE.
    2001 540i6 Sport

My Cars
    With wheels
    So looking at the nettodata file with ncsdummy there are 2 commands oil temp lower limit and oil temp upper limit. They seem funny currently with there having data unit of 33 and the upper having data of 14! Doesn't seem to make sense the lower being larger than the upper limit. I will play with recoding these values when i get the car back. I can also make the needle move with the "EC inst" in INPA activatation of the IKE.
    Thanks

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    If the M62 4.4l and 4.6l engines use the same DME, Bosch ME7.2, and the 4.6L uses basically the same cluster as the M5.... Then I'm convinced it can be done.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using BF.com

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWPlanetDude
    How do you do with the coolant temp fauge?? I saw in the middle now....

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast