Thread: Just brought a 2006 750i, and ouch.

My Cars
    2006 750i

Just brought a 2006 750i, and ouch.

I just found out there are lots of leaks on this nice e65 that I got less than a month ago. The problem I have is, the BMW dealer did an safety inspection but either they didn't find anything wrong, or for whatever reason they were not communicated to me.

Yet, another safety check done at another BMW dealer, merely 3 weeks prior, listed all the leaks below. Fortunately this inspection documented all the issues.

So I dropped the car off at the dealer tonight, will see what they say in the next couple days.

What are your thoughts on the options I have? I feel there's a pretty strong case here that they should fix everything no charge, yet even with that, I'm worried down the road there are other related problems that can not be foreseen. After all, the leak could just be a symptom to something much bigger, the underlying problem is probably the biggest worry I have at the moment.

But I also love driving the car, it's only got 46000 KM on it for a 2006, and has everything(almost) that I wanted. Even if they offered to take it back, I'm not sure if I want to do that. ahhh...the agony.

Here are the issues documented from the first inspection :
    1. Oil level sensor leaking
    2. Steerting rack starting to leak from input seal
    3. Transmission Pan and Sleeve Leaking
    4. Passenger Valve Cover Gasket and Upper Timing cover leaking
    5. Temp Sensor in lower radiator hose leaking
    6. Front reinforcement plate bolt and threaded nut missing

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750Li
    I just bought an 07 750li and had both valve cover gaskets leaking as well as the transmission pan/seal and sleeve. I hate the smell of that oil burning off the engine. $2600 later (at the dealership), no more leaks....good luck!

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    good luck. all those are common leak points.

just wait til the alternator o-ring leaks. its a pita to replace a 10.00 o-ring. yes it leaks oil.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    07 B7 , 91 E30 (m102)3.5
    all common like stated above

good luck all it needs is some TLC

My Cars
    2006 E65
    I have an 06 750i as well. Those items you described are all 'standard equipment" on these cars. It's expensive work to have the stealer do it-- it's not crucial that you fix it all right away. The worst thing that happens is oil leaks onto belts or hoses (such as the oil pressure sensor which is right above some radiator hoses) and it degrades the material. Your car isn't "hurt". I fixed your 1, 3, 4, and 5 items myself. Have not had the other issues. They are not hard to do, just takes some time and patience.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    Oil leaks aren't necessarily safety issues. At least, not here in Virginia. I just bought an '06 750i that the timing chain jumped a tooth or 2 on the gear. Since it's leaking all over the place anyway, I'm going to tear the engine down, have it re-spec'd, and rebuild it then reinstall.

BTW -- If you didn't already know, the BMW maintenance schedule is crap. 15,000 miles 'tween oil changes? It's no wonder seals and gaskets leak. As the oil breaks down down with age/mileage, it causes the seals and gaskets to break down as well hence the leakage. I change the oil on everything I own between 3k and 3.5k miles.

My Cars
    Did you happen to notice that you're responding to a thread that hasn't seen the light of day since 2012?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    Yup.