Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Becker Bavaria C professional RDS help

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    You can buy cassette adapters now that are remote controlled MP3 players.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-MP3-Pl...item417522ee2b
    Last edited by Omega man 1969; 11-26-2013 at 12:32 PM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    CaifanSC: The BE2455 replaced the BE2450 in March 1997. I always thought the difference was I-bus support in the later model, but members quest and Slex pointed out the BE2450 supports I-bus as well (thread link). So to be honest I have no clue about the differences.

Anyway, I really would not bother with cassette adapters. You can hookup USB and/or SD card readers to I-bus compatible head units like the BE245x and control playback from the head unit. Sadly these adapters cannot display text on the display which severely limits the flexibility (lack of CD-TEXT support of the Becker cd changer interface), but neither can the cassette adapters obviously.

BMW Professional RDS + USB part2 @ YouTube

(Russian speech, but it should be pretty self-explanatory: around 0:30 he connects an USB stick to the BE2450)

I think the most hassle free option is the BMW Business CD (Blaupunkt CD43). The display is not as large and nice as that of the BMW Professional RDS, but it looks more modern because it has a slot cd player instead of a tape deck, and it supports CD-TEXT over the cd changer interface so aftermarket mp3 solutions can display title information.

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by MXM000 View Post
    It's exactly like that. The whole frame pulls off to reveal two screws on either side.
    Thanks for confirming this - I wanted to make sure before trying to remove it and possibly breaking something, so your reply is appreciated.
    Current:
    1994 E31 850CSi Sterlingsilber/Anthracite Buffalo

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E23 M745iA Arctic Blue
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris
    1976 E3 3.0 Si Arctic Blue

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    Have you found a solution?!? I tried to integrate an Ipod in to that system. No luck and worse I damaged the CD-Interface part. I am looking to for a better sound. I do have the RDS Bavaria Professional and the CD changer in the back

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    CaifanSC: The BE2455 replaced the BE2450 in March 1997. I always thought the difference was I-bus support in the later model, but members quest and Slex pointed out the BE2450 supports I-bus as well (thread link). So to be honest I have no clue about the differences.

Anyway, I really would not bother with cassette adapters. You can hookup USB and/or SD card readers to I-bus compatible head units like the BE245x and control playback from the head unit. Sadly these adapters cannot display text on the display which severely limits the flexibility (lack of CD-TEXT support of the Becker cd changer interface), but neither can the cassette adapters obviously.

BMW Professional RDS + USB part2 @ YouTube

(Russian speech, but it should be pretty self-explanatory: around 0:30 he connects an USB stick to the BE2450)

I think the most hassle free option is the BMW Business CD (Blaupunkt CD43). The display is not as large and nice as that of the BMW Professional RDS, but it looks more modern because it has a slot cd player instead of a tape deck, and it supports CD-TEXT over the cd changer interface so aftermarket mp3 solutions can display title information.
    I think I'm liking the PRofessional RDS as a "first" attempt assuming it's plug and play. The current OEM unit on the CSi is not working (stuck on the CODE screen) and I would like to just have something to test it out. YOu can't go wrong with it, lighting is perfect, looks great, works with OEM CD changer....if only there was a way to do Aux In instead of using the cassette tape...but even with the cassette adapter, it's not that bad (For me). Revtor, do you happen to know of any mods to toe PRofessional RDS to have aux in? Most of my listening now is via streaming from Spotify so I have to have an audio jack.

If I go this route, I should have more time to decide what aftermarket Becker unit best fits my needs.
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    if only there was a way to do Aux In instead of using the cassette tape...
    I don't know if there's a solution that works out of the box, but the cd changer emulators that allow mp3 playback from SD card and USB stick could also be used for an auxiliary input (use the emulator to make the head unit think a cd changer is attached and playing, but route the cd changer audio wires to a 3.5 mm jack plug that connects to your phone).

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    I don't know if there's a solution that works out of the box, but the cd changer emulators that allow mp3 playback from SD card and USB stick could also be used for an auxiliary input (use the emulator to make the head unit think a cd changer is attached and playing, but route the cd changer audio wires to a 3.5 mm jack plug that connects to your phone).
    I checked the connectors in the back of one of the Prof. RDS units and they all appear to be compatible with the e31 too.

Thanks for all your assistance REvtor...you're a wealth of knowledge. If I'm ever in Belgium or close to it I'd like to buy you a drink

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    E28 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by LAZAR FLORIAN View Post
    Have you found a solution?!? I tried to integrate an Ipod in to that system. No luck and worse I damaged the CD-Interface part. I am looking to for a better sound. I do have the RDS Bavaria Professional and the CD changer in the back
    As far as I can tell, there are no cd-changer line-in adapters for BE1801 (bavaria c professional rds). It is very different to the newer BE2450/2455.

I tried to investigate the communication between the head unit and the radio of my BE1801, the interface is RS485, not the usual RS232. I captured a bit of the datastream, and I can't make sense of it. The protocol doesn't match anything else I found online (M-Bus, I-Bus, unilink...), I suspect it's unique to this radio and the equivalent Mercedes' Becker Mexico 2000 (10cd silverstone 980 changer). I will pay with it a bit more, but I think that I'll go with the line-in wired in place of the AM-radio route. It's fairly easy, but there will be no control of the source with the head unit, which is a shame. I wanted to have at least a pause/play button.

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    You are right. But now you can buy the stereo cassette adapter with bluetooth, like this one http://dx.com/p/bluetooth-cassette-adapter-10067 I will buy one. I do have a 160 Gb Ipod. Will buy an bluetooth transmitter for the Ipod. As for remote, I like the Scosche http://www.scosche.com/remote-for-ip...port-rf-remote . The thing with this particular remote, is that you can also charge in the same time your ipod. The remote is excellent, even has the Change between LIST button, which the Scosche hand version doesn't has it. I had it before, works like a charm on the steering wheel. What do you think about this !?!? :-?

My Cars
    E28 528i
    You are right. But now you can buy the stereo cassette adapter with bluetooth, like this one http://dx.com/p/bluetooth-cassette-adapter-10067 I will buy one. I do have a 160 Gb Ipod. Will buy an bluetooth transmitter for the Ipod. As for remote, I like the Scosche http://www.scosche.com/remote-for-ip...port-rf-remote . The thing with this particular remote, is that you can also charge in the same time your ipod. The remote is excellent, even has the Change between LIST button, which the Scosche hand version doesn't has it. I had it before, works like a charm on the steering wheel. What do you think about this !?!? :-?
    Well, I'm personally against casette adapters and FM transmitters for several reasons. Even the best cassette adapters will have limited frequency response and signal to noise ratio, and the signal will go through all the dolby/whatever processors designed to equalize audio from the tape. It also needs power, so there will be a wire from the casette to the charger, unless you route it internally inside the head unit, which is in my opinion negates the point of simple and non-intrusive installation.

As what comes to that particular bluetooth adapter you linked to, it doesn't support A2DP. You absolutely need A2DP for stereo sound!

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    Yes, but it was thew first link that came up, as an example For A2DP http://www.amazon.com/Adapsonic-Blue...ews/B008PUPBF6 You dont need cable for charging, it has an integrated rechargeable battery. and the Ipod you can hide it in the glove box. I am also against the cassette adapter, but its the best choice. Some times, 6 CD's aint enough...

My Cars
    not enough
    Yes, but it was thew first link that came up, as an example For A2DP http://www.amazon.com/Adapsonic-Blue...ews/B008PUPBF6 You dont need cable for charging, it has an integrated rechargeable battery. and the Ipod you can hide it in the glove box. I am also against the cassette adapter, but its the best choice. Some times, 6 CD's aint enough...
    Bluetooth cassette adapter! I didn't know they had these....i have to pick one up! By far my biggest complaint about the cassette adapters is the hanging wire to the phone....but even then, I quickly forgot about that as soon as the tunes started. But heck, if I can get rid of that it would be just perfect.

My other projects:

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    Well Caifan, pls do check the Scosche remote too, have you seen it?

My Cars
    not enough
    Well Caifan, pls do check the Scosche remote too, have you seen it?
    I have not, will do a quick search for it. I did a search for the Adapsonic bluetooth cassette adapter and I can find web pages about it, but nowhere did i find it for sale! Everywhere i says it's out of stock. I find that very odd!

My other projects:

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    me, too Luis. The only place I had found it, was on a aliexpress.com and at a triple price then the normal one. My retorical question is ,,why the smart ass Belkin doesn't come up with something similar?" I would pay 100$ for it. There are a lot of oldtimers out there who would really need it. Please do PM me if you find any.

My Cars
    not enough
    me, too Luis. The only place I had found it, was on a aliexpress.com and at a triple price then the normal one. My retorical question is ,,why the smart ass Belkin doesn't come up with something similar?" I would pay 100$ for it. There are a lot of oldtimers out there who would really need it. Please do PM me if you find any.
    Wow, that is pricey! I just spent a chunk of money in that OEM Becker Professional RDS unit so the bluetooth cassete adapter will have to wait a little bit, but thanks for the link! When I start looking again I'll keep you posted if I find a more affordable place.

My other projects:

My Cars
    E28 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by MXM000 View Post
    Ah, disregard that, found a radio-module after all. Working great. I'm thinking now of how to incorporate bluetooth-receiver now. I'll probably keep the casette functionality, and maybe wire a BT-receiver into AM-radio input, or something like that..
    Just a small update, I got bluetooth working in AM mode using this module: http://www.elecfreaks.com/wiki/index...e=BLK-MD-SPK-B. It was less than $10 delivered from ebay, great value and good quality as far as I can tell. Still in the testing phase, I'll show details once I get everything wired up.

My Cars
    BMW 840ci and other
    Great units the Becker Professional RDS and they suit the E31 well. I have recently put back my Blaupunkt RDS cassette after my Alpine sounded great but looked non OEM. I do have a Becker Unit so will fit that in soon once i remove that OEM amp the trunk!

My Cars
    not enough
    just circling back...works like a charm! Complete plug n play, looks great and works with the CD changer.

My other projects:

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    Wow. 1st: its awesome Luis. 2nd: you have a different model of Becker headunit. not the OEM one that the CSi came with, but it looks the same and it does integrate perfect with the rest of the buttons. I see that you have problems with the MID, it has some dead pixels, you can find the repair kit on ebay for 40$ (the ribbon + the T iron tool). I do love the would trim, mine does have that, but maybe I can get my hands on one )) Have great day there Luis

My Cars
    not enough
    Wow. 1st: its awesome Luis. 2nd: you have a different model of Becker headunit. not the OEM one that the CSi came with, but it looks the same and it does integrate perfect with the rest of the buttons. I see that you have problems with the MID, it has some dead pixels, you can find the repair kit on ebay for 40$ (the ribbon + the T iron tool). I do love the would trim, mine does have that, but maybe I can get my hands on one )) Have great day there Luis
    What differences do you see with this unit and the one you mention?

Yeah, the rest of the MID screen is pretty bad...thankfully it's just the LED and no buttons (yet). I recently sent the MID unit from the 850 to German Audiotech to get the pixel ribbon changed and to fix the 100 button....and a couple weeks ago my "SET/RESET" button broke

My other projects:

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    I have this headunit http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bavaria-C-Pro...item4acf16991c
    Also you I can buy you and MID from here or you may try on ebay.co.uk, its @ 100$ ))

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    LAZAR FLORIAN: Your head unit is the BMW Bavaria C Professional RDS (Becker BE1801) which could be ordered from July 1991 up to February 1995 (order option SA662). The head unit CaifanSC installed in his car is its successor, the BMW Professional RDS (BE2450 / BE2455) and was available for the E31 from December 1994 up to end of production in May 1999 (order option SA670).

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Is the sa670 one much better than the be2450?

My Cars
    BMW 850 CSi Individual
    Thanks Revtor, for the info. I love how the BMW Professional RDS (BE2450 / BE2455) looks, but then again, if I would had owned it I would had loved Becker BE1801 ))

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast