BAVToys

Thread: Picture gallery of the euro OEM ZKW vs OEM Bosch lights

My Cars
    Black one

Picture gallery of the euro OEM ZKW vs OEM Bosch lights

I've been searching for a while for a set of real OEM euro lights. In the search, I found it very hard to get actual pictures of E36 headlamps that arent either depos, or modified with HIDs/AE/etc. I really wanted to understand the difference between the different brands, aside from the modifications you can make to them.

I've now had the opportunity to get a set of very clear photos from an ebay seller based in Germany and will attempt to illustrate the differences here

Let's start with the front end.

These are the Bosch headlights

These are the ZKW

Differences in the front
    • ZKW's have a striped glass pattern on the bottom half of the projector. I'm not sure what you call this pattern
    • ZKW's have nipples on the top glass
    • Bosch have a more pronounced pattern on the inner headlamps
    • Bosch have three tabs on the top, ZKW have two

There are several differences on the back.
    Bosch

ZKW

Differences
    • ZKW dust caps are squared
    • ZKW dust cap clasps appear heavier duty
    • ZKW have larger clamps holding on the front glass

Bonus: OEM tabs can break too, be careful people

There are many more pictures if you want to examine the full gallery here. Note, the Bosch headlamps are the first in the gallery

http://imgur.com/a/60LMY

Anything else anyone wants to add? For example, light output, beam pattern, cutoff, etc. I havent had time to install these ones yet

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    The "striped" glass is called fluted. It actually is bad for a projector as it robs output and it scatters the light.

My Cars
    02 330xi i || 01 X5
    I might be stupid for asking this, but what's the deal with the nipples on the top of the glass? They seem to be a positive selling point for aftermarket lenses on ebay. What is their purpose?
    Yoy.

My Cars
    Black one
    Quote Originally Posted by e36fiend View Post
    I might be stupid for asking this, but what's the deal with the nipples on the top of the glass? They seem to be a positive selling point for aftermarket lenses on ebay. What is their purpose?
    My research indicates it's a personal preference... looks
    Last edited by Langertown; 09-10-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by Langertown View Post
    My research indicates it's a personal preference... looks
    Actually I think it is for wind disbursement.

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    Actually I think it is for wind disbursement.
    ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Where is a good place to buy the OEM Bosch lights?

My Cars
    Black one
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Where is a good place to buy the OEM Bosch lights?
    This was just on ebay, but I see he's sold them since I downloaded the pics. Here are his active listings http://www.ebay.com/sch/tainik/m.htm...&_trksid=p3686

My Cars
    E30 S52, E36 328i
    -Bosch have three tabs on the top, ZKW have two

my Bosch headlights only have two mounting tabs on the top

My Cars
    e36m
    My Bosch has three tabs on the top

My Cars
    1998 328i
    As mentioned, some versions of the Bosch have two tabs while others have three. Some of the Bosch headlamps also have velocity nipples.

From what I've found, the older version typically has 3 tabs and no nipples.

My Cars
    '07 530i
    So is Bosch preffered ove the ZKW's? Can HIDs be installed in either set? What's the light output like in both?

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Just FYI, I only deal with Bosch because nothing comes close to them in terms of quality, design, engineering, functionality and performance.
    The earlier version Bosch headlights have 3 mounting tabs on top and no raised dots (nipples) on the front glass, later version Bosch have 2 mounting tabs on top and front glass raised dots that serve for aerodynamic reasons (better airflow at high speeds).
    They can be modified (as other brands can too) to HID but I think they are the best just how Bosch made them.
    See the later version Bosch E36 headlights with raised dots.

My Cars
    Black one
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasir View Post
    So is Bosch preffered ove the ZKW's? Can HIDs be installed in either set? What's the light output like in both?
    you can put HIDS in anything with projectors. ZKWs, Bosch, Depos, etc. You can even do it to the US headlights. Once you go HID, you should change the projector as well, so the question of light output doesnt make sense. You can changing the bulb to HID and the projector, so the light output is much more dependent on the quality of those components, than the plastic housing that remains.

My Cars
    M5, E61

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by e36fiend View Post
    i was wondering the same LOL

My Cars
    M5, E61
    theoretically break up the wind as it comes at the lenses to prevent whistling.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Langertown View Post
    Bonus: OEM tabs can break too, be careful people

If someone has repaired the tabs and guides for the turn signal housings, please post pics and DIY instructions
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E36 coupe 316i
    hello, i have repaired one tab which was broken, inserted a white hard plastic (found by luck one piece that was perfect for the job) into the tab gap and glue it with thermal silicone then i cut the piece to make it shorter as shown in the picture with the black square, the picture with the black line shows where the turn signal locks to the tab.
    It holds very good and it was perfect but i change the lights with new ones(depo) later anyway (i heat the plastic tabs before install with a hot gun first).

Attachment 655131Attachment 655132Attachment 655133Attachment 655134
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E32 1988 BMW 750iL
    The nipples are mounts for headlight adjusters. Used by repair shops to aim USA market headlights.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    On the E36 chassis the headlight adjusters are operated via an Allen wrench (or Allen bit in a ratchet) from above or by a 10mm socket from the rear. The adjuster at the top of the headlight assembly, between the high and low beam lights is for up/down and the adjuster that is at the outside of the headlight assembly (near the fender) is for right/left adjustment. https://blog.bavauto.com/wp-content/...sters-0071.jpg
    the nipples on the headlight covers are for mounting the headlight alignment tools used by professional shops.
    Last edited by shogun; 07-18-2019 at 06:09 AM.

My Cars
    '95 525i , '91 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    If someone has repaired the tabs and guides for the turn signal housings, please post pics and DIY instructions
    Yes please, my replacement only lasted me the day and sometime this evening I went to start it up and notice the dash indicator, and almost thought nothing of it lol cuz it's been like that for some while now. Then I remembered I just fixed it today !! 🙃 Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    4 months ago I have repaired one tab, cut a plastic board into a fitting piece and drilled 2 small 2mm holes thru the plastic and into the rest of the original tab, tightened it with 2 screws and it works fine, no problem. The upper and lower guide rails are still o.k.