Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: My e39 LSx swap

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Been a while since I made any updates. Been real busy with work. Haven't done a whole lot to the car in the last month. I did go to a local BMW dyno day a couple weeks ago. I threw in a couple gals of 110 to mix in with the 93 in the tank and cranked the boost up a little bit. Each person was allowed 3 pulls, 2 of mine were no good due to spinning on the dyno. They hosed down the tires with some traction aid and we made one more pull. Here was the outcome:

860lb/ft was made at 24.5psi. Sadly I didnt get an accurate HP number due to my ignorance. I turned up the boost controller but failed to raise up the "overboost protection", so when it went over 24.5psi the controller dropped it back to 18psi. Oops.

Last weekend I was looking over the car and noticed the intake pipe/turbo inlet was loose. The 90* elbow that went on the turbo inlet had come loose(ripped off) and actually got sucked into the turbo, which chewed it up some. No damage was done to the turbo, but the charge pipes and I/C was full of pieces of rubber. What a fun time I had cleaning that out.

I used a much nicer, thick silicone elbow this time.

The last part of my update is a cosmetic thing I did. I hated the way the front M5 bumper looked without the foglights installed, but with my 4" I/C piping there was no way to fit the lights in there. Saturday I decided to take the fogs I had and cut the backs off of them. I left only the lens and the mounting tabs. Then I spray painted the inside of the lens black. I think it turned out pretty good! I also made a "air duct" in one of them to try to feed the filter cool/fresh air.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Looks good. close call on that turbo chewing up parts!

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    The modified fog lights look good. I've been contemplating the same thing. It's crazy how fast you run out of room behind the bumper! Now, let's see some track times at 24psi!!

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    859.99 Wheel Torques.....NICE! I like the way the fog lights are in as it helps complete the front cosmetics.

Now you have to update the wheel torque thread again why not go for 900
    Last edited by 1NAWTY5; 09-15-2015 at 12:40 PM.

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE

My Cars
    Z28 SS,Tahoe Z71
    Ok i know it was a long time ago but what was done to get the M5 rear in a 528?

My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanaue View Post
    Ok i know it was a long time ago but what was done to get the M5 rear in a 528?
    The diff is a direct bolt in. You will need m5 axles and and a m5/540 driveshaft to modify

My Cars
    E39
    I may have mentioned before that my transmissions been giving me some issues the last couple months. The biggest part of the problem is it sounds like someone dumped a box of rocks in it. Secondary issues were difficulty getting it in 2nd and 3rd gears under heavy load. Pulled the trans out and found an issue with the shifter that was keeping it from going all the way in 2nd gear. One problem down! Popped the case open and started examining.
    image.jpg
    Pulled the input shaft away from the main shaft and found the noise culprit. A cone bearing on the input shaft had started eating itself up and was allowing the main and input shaft to touch, which makes a bunch of noise when they are turning different speeds.
    Tough to see in the pic, but the bearing is missing some material on one side and it's actually turning purple from heat.
    image.jpg
    Ive been reading that this is a common issue due to lack of lubrication on the bearing. During hard acceleration, all the oil goes to the rear of the case, away from this bearing and the front gears. Which leads to the 3rd gear issue. Lack of lube and jamming 3rd gear at 6800rpm doesn't go together well. The engagement teeth and synchronizer on 3rd gear were rough. They are getting replaced.
    Heres a random pic of everything apart on my bench.
    image.jpg
    I pulled everything completely down and sent out all the shafts and gears to be polished and cryro treated. I'll be replacing the 1-2 and 3-4 synchronizers, all bearings, all blockers, all seals and upgrading the shift fork pads.

Lastly I'm going to add two spray nozzles inside the trans case to shoot fluid directly on the input shaft bearings and on the 2nd and 3rd gears. The nozzles will be fed by an external electric pump that will be powered when my methanol injection system comes on.

As parts roll in, I'll add pics.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Excellent work, Clay. Very interested to see your sprayer setup!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Were you not thinking of upgrading to something better at one point? Remind me but what transmission is this?

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Looks good. Not too late to buy mine, it already has the sprayer installed
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Were you not thinking of upgrading to something better at one point? Remind me but what transmission is this?
    It was a bone stock T56. I was considering sending it off for a full build by Tick Performance but decided against it. I'm gonna do a few little things to it and stick it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    Looks good. Not too late to buy mine, it already has the sprayer installed
    Yea, I just saw that post yesterday. I wish I had seen it before ordering parts and sending stuff out to the cryo place.

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    These ouput numbers are really impressive
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    E39
    Here's a little look at some really pretty parts that I hope to not see again for a while.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I say sell it to an art museum as some decorative art.

My Cars
    2007 550i
    Awesome numbers and the car looks fantastic to boot, hats off to you sir!

I have a very similar build almost complete and I am worried about keeping the engine cool as well as melting parts close to the collectors. Has the drivers side collector caused any issues being that close to the Heater Valve controller? I was contemplating having the collectors ceramic coated or at least wrapped. Looking at your set-up, and obviously how good it runs gives me hope, is that just a high temp paint you have sprayed them with? I don't want to cover up all the pretty stainless if I can avoid it, but in the same breath I don't want to have a car I' am always worrying about overheating or melting things either.

My Cars
    E39
    It's been a while but I'm finally getting around to puting my transmission back together

More pics to come this weekend when I can get some more done

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Excellent!

My Cars
    E39
    Messed with the trans some today.

Untouched trans housing

Hole drilled and 1/4" npt to -6 AN fitting installed

-6 AN 90* hose end

Here you can see fitting placement in the case. I'm going to trim it down some and make some kind of nozzle on the end to point fluid.

To feed the pump the drain plug is replaced with a 1/2" npt to -8 AN fitting

Waiting on the fluid pump and some fittings to come in on Tuesday. Hopefully some more updates soon after.

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Has anyone done something like this before? Do you plan on running it through a small HX'er? Looks pretty slick.

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    E39
    There are a few guys here and there that have done it. I've been considering putting a cooler on it but I've gotten advice to see what the operating temps are before I do that. It's something that I can easily add any time.

My Cars
    E39
    Got some parts in today. I'll make a complete parts list with item numbers when I have it all done.

Here is the Tilton fluid pump

Tilton recommended this Earls pre filter. It's more of a screen than a filter

For the nozzle I decided to just modify the npt fitting. I cut it down the center, crushed the end in the vice and cut it again to get everything straight. It's not real pretty but it works well

Here is a quick video of the nozzle and pump test. Should lubricate everything well

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    I dig it.

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I approve.

My Cars
    Canada
    skills.

My Cars
    2004 Volvo S60 (SOLD)
    Having done both swaps, E36 and E39, which did you found to be harder?

I want to build an LS (5.3 truck engine) powered BMW, but there are many ways to do it.

Since I'm on a budget, I will most likely buy a car that broke down, or one that works but is not exactly mint. I've read many threads and apparently 540i is a harder swap due to steering and subframe. But then again, a 540i will come standard with more features and luxury than a six cylinder. Or just get a mint 6 cylinder?

Now, the E36 is another story. While it seems easier to do because it's older and swap kits are cheaper, it may be harder due to engine bay space?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I'd like to know your opinion.

EDIT: By the way, I'm staying NA. Don't think I have the skills yet but probably can also get the mounts made by my uncle's shop (he builds membrane structures).
    Last edited by sanpt7777; 05-26-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast