Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 540i Intake Manifold Velocity Stacks

My Cars
    E34 540i, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by nonturbodan View Post
    Got some pics for you homie. There are five different M60 V8 manifolds. Two small runner manifolds and three large runner manifolds. If you don't understand the significance of bellmouths in fluid dynamics I suggest you educate yourself on the subject.

I don't have anything to say about the V12 other than that it wouldn't look good to have a guy in a 740il walking away from a 750.
    beeeeeeeeeef

My Cars
    2003 328i
    I get a message about being a new member and some other garbage. Can't post images from photobucket, links or anything. Its a shame because I would love to share my findings.

There are two B40 manifolds. One with bellmouths and one without. I've got a bellmouth manifold on the way. I'll be sure to post about the results. I've had the late B40 manifold and the non-VANOS B44 manifold on the car so far. The B44 manifold was an improvement but not a huge one. I expect a noticeable improvement from the early manifold. I suspect the early/late manifold is the difference between the B40's that dyno 230ish and the ones that dyno 250ish.

I'm running a B44 throttle body as well. Better than the B40 throttle with the stupid wedges on the throttle plate.

My Cars
    Scrap
    Ive got news for you homie, learn to read and understand entire posts before you reply. If you don't know how to, i suggest you educate your self on the subject.

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Get your post count up and post up whatever information you have. I am interested in hearing what you have found.

The M62B44 manifold was an impovement in what way?

The larger runners in the M60B40 intake manifold are a known, dyno-proven improvement for peak HP over the M62 manifolds, and as such were stamped and sold by Dinan as an upgrade for M62s.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    E32 740i
    Got some pics for you homie. There are five different M60 V8 manifolds. Two small runner manifolds and three large runner manifolds. If you don't understand the significance of bellmouths in fluid dynamics I suggest you educate yourself on the subject.

I don't have anything to say about the V12 other than that it wouldn't look good to have a guy in a 740il walking away from a 750.
    As an owner of 740 can say that M60 even with M62 manifold runs away from any M70 after 5000rpm.

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    I suspect the early/late manifold is the difference between the B40's that dyno 230ish and the ones that dyno 250ish.
    I also have both a B40 mani with the velocity stacks, and one without. While I do agree that they're a very good thing, I haven't done any dnyo testing yet to verify the difference - I'm hoping to soon though. We'll see. That said, I think one of two things is the major reason that some M40's dyno higher - either the v-stack mani's or old tired cats bringing the number down. Unless the cats have been replaced/hollowed, Id wager that most of the lower numbers are due to them being old and tired (meaning partially clogged - this really hurts the top end most). With known open cats, the v-stacks should make a decent difference, especially up top. But I also have not seen any differences in the B40 intakes other than the v-stacks - though as said above, the B30 intake is a whole different animal. So I'm curious to the pics you have of the differences also. You should have enough posts to get pics up now - I believe it was 10 posts required...

With all that said, I will admit right now that I have stock un-hollowed cats on my car, and it has over 252k miles, so I'm quite sure that they're gimping my top end. Even so, back to back dyno runs with the only change being the intake should still be a viable way to show the effect of the internal stacks (I hope - I'd rather not waste money if I can help it). I'd love to open up the cats somehow, but I need functional cats for emissions here, and I can't replace the cats till spring at least (I have to do the welding, and I won't be able to till then). Since I'm going to still have both mani's, I could do another set of back to back runs then, if I felt like it. This is of course pending that I even get it done before then anyway, but there it is. When possible, I'll post some data. It's just that question of when.

Fox
    Last edited by K Fox; 09-09-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling & clarity

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    So. Much. Stupid.
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinBimmer View Post
    You run WOT day n nite cuz. No-lift shift all day errday. Throttle bodies are for ricers.
    Hilarious!

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    Also in for pics... Just to clarify, the earlier B40 manifolds and the v-stacks? And earlier as in pre '94? So, we're all trying to see if these pre-94 manifolds will pull more top-end on the dyno than all of us '95 guys?

Quote Originally Posted by KyleCleveland View Post
    Hilarious!
    Haven't seen you in a while... better show up on October 14th!

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Also in for pics... Just to clarify, the earlier B40 manifolds and the v-stacks? And earlier as in pre '94? So, we're all trying to see if these pre-94 manifolds will pull more top-end on the dyno than all of us '95 guys?
    Here's the kick - neither of my 540's had those v-stacks stock. The manifold I got that has them came of an E32 I happened across in the junkyard. I do believe it was an 'early' engine, I want to say it was a 93, but I don't remember exactly. But of the two E32's that magically appeared in my local yard, only the one had the stacks, and I nabbed that mani as soon as I could. So as far as I know, 540's didn't come with them - or more fairly, neither of my 540's did, and the production dates of them are 10/93 and 9/94. I wonder if anyone with a production date in 95 has checked??

Fox (adding confusion, as always)

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by K Fox View Post
    I wonder if anyone with a production date in 95 has checked??

Did you get lost in the trolling? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Baupfhor View Post
    Interesting, mine doesn't have those. 9/95 build date.
    Quote Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
    Mine didn't have them either. I think my build date was 2/95 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I believe they discontinued the use of the horns in or around the '95 model year.
    I guess, by putting these stories and your stories together Fox, that you are right about e34's not getting them. Guess it's time for all of us to raid junkyards hoping for some e32 740's? Such a shame... I think it was a 740 that I yanked my 3.15 LSD from IIRC last year.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    Fwiw, my donor motor from the 1993 740 has those trumpets
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Did you get lost in the trolling? lol
    Oops...'parently I did...I completely missed those. Oh well, that answers that question, at least. I still have to do the rest of what I said though...

Fox

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I just pulled a b40 manifold out of an E32 yesterday. I can confirm that it does have the large velocity stacks.
    Now there seems to be lots of misinformation going on in here.
    Those that don't know, there are 2 different M62 engines in the states. M62B44 (1996=1998) and M62B44TU Vanos which is a after 1998.
    The non-vanos M62 uses the same manifold as the later M60. The Vanos M62tu uses a small intake manifold, just like the m60b30 in the 530i. This is the m62 that everyone wants the intake manifold swap to see major gains. I'm actually going to do this to my 01 740iL Sport sometime next week.

Now that I know that the E32 are definitely big stacks, since I got one yesterday. I do have 2 540i's at home as well. One is my turbo build late 95 540i/6 one and another is a 93 production 540iA. I'm thinking of sticking my phone inside the throttle body to take a a few pics of the insides to see if and which has the large velocity stacks.

Will, your chip came it today. I'll get a new one out if I'm off work tomorrow or get home early. PM me your details again with your production date and transmission type.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 12-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    Scrap
    So based on what we know, should a swap to the Trumpet manifold be a positive improvement?

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve547i View Post
    So based on what we know, should a swap to the Trumpet manifold be a positive improvement?
    A rusty trumpet.

Thansk

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    I'm thinking of sticking my phone inside the throttle body to take a a few pics of the insides to see if and which has the large velocity stacks.
    Just pop off the ICV from the intake and use a flashlight to look in thru the hole - it will be obvious whether or not the trumpets are there.

Yes, it will be an improvement, but no one here has dyno'd before and after to know how much. Maybe a couple HP, maybe 20HP... I will do before and after dyno's when I can, but I really should replace my old and likely tired cats first - they're going to hold back the top end of my engine, and that's where these trumpets will help most. From what I know, they should be a decent and worthwhile gain, especially since these are JY parts if you find the right donor car.

Fox

My Cars
    Scrap
    I'll go pull one today.

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    A rusty trumpet?

Thansk

My Cars
    '94 540i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by K Fox View Post
    Here's the kick - neither of my 540's had those v-stacks stock. The manifold I got that has them came of an E32 I happened across in the junkyard. I do believe it was an 'early' engine, I want to say it was a 93, but I don't remember exactly. But of the two E32's that magically appeared in my local yard, only the one had the stacks, and I nabbed that mani as soon as I could. So as far as I know, 540's didn't come with them - or more fairly, neither of my 540's did, and the production dates of them are 10/93 and 9/94. I wonder if anyone with a production date in 95 has checked??

I didn't think it relevant at the time, but the engine that came with the intake manifold stacks was out of a '93 E32 740i. So maybe they were a 7 series only part?

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Such a shame... I think it was a 740 that I yanked my 3.15 LSD from IIRC last year.
    Unpossible. 740 only has a 2.93 open diff.

Yarggh! I sold my 740i manifold without thinking of the possibility that my 540i doesn't have the horns. It's an HE53 engine but it doesn't have EWS, so maybe its early enough to have them. Guess I'll find out when I get around to doing my manifold gaskets.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve547i
    I would assume. The difference of small stacks (m62) vs large stacks (m60) was felt when my brother swapped the manifold on his 740i m62b44 car. More top end with b40 manifold with large stacks. It lost some low end torque though, so it will be a little trade off. So I'm sure that large stacks will improve the top end vs no stacks at all.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    too many, see sig
    Besides all the trolling in here, some good info. I'll confirm that my 93 740 (late 92 build date) has them.

Now I'm interested in hearing more about this M62 TB swap...

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Unpossible. 740 only has a 2.93 open diff.
    Apologies, it was a 750 then. Vlksdrgn helped me pick out an e32 to steal from in the junkyard.

I'll go pull one today.
    *Jealousy*

Need to get time off work and rush back to the junkyard... Wonder how much they'll charge? My LSD was $90 so these can't be too much... Might need some steam cleaning or something though.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I paid $50 for mine.
    I just took pictures of the 3 m60 manifolds in my possession. My 93 540iA has them, so does the one I pulled from the junk yard. My 7/95 540i/6 does not have them. I'll post pics when I get home.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast