Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idler and Pitman arm alingment and heights?

My Cars
    '91 M5, '13 E92, '89 E32
    Shogun, my dad is a retired professional photographer, but his passion and hobby is machining. I sent him the diagram and photographs you posted and he sunk his teeth into it - and created this piece of industrial jewelry:
    DSC_0164.JPGDSC_0165.JPGDSC_0167.JPG

I'd say he went above and beyond the call of duty here! He had to figure out a few things himself, but between the diagram and photos it wasn't too difficult. For anyone considering building one of these, the brass insert in the main body of the tool has a threaded hole that the long thumbscrew threads into; so you don't have to thread the entire depth of the hole. I'm going to put it to use within the next couple of weeks as I replace the front suspension on my E32 750iL.

And before anyone asks, No, it's not for sale, or loan, or rent
    Last edited by biasvoltage; 03-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    1989 750iL schwarz/schwarz
    1991 M5 schwarz/silbergrau
    2013 328i coupe diamondschwarz/caramel
    2003 525iT orient blue/tan
    1990 535i/5 schwarz/schwarz

My Cars
    '91 M5, '13 E92, '89 E32
    I got around to using this today, after replacing my center link and idler arm. Needed to raise the Pitman arm about 2mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1989 750iL schwarz/schwarz
    1991 M5 schwarz/silbergrau
    2013 328i coupe diamondschwarz/caramel
    2003 525iT orient blue/tan
    1990 535i/5 schwarz/schwarz

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Idler arm replacement
    I remember on the German E32 forum they had some problems with that , use google translate, read from post 47, see pics from post 70 https://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=146504
    the bush was the problem

Wie schwer ist das Lager drehbar im Lenkführungshebel (rechts)? Vor etwa 2 Jahren habe ich die komplette Lenkung revidiert. Alles Originalteile. Jetzt hatte ich beim Lenken ein Knarzen. Gefahren seit der Revision etwa 1000km. Die Befestigungsschraube des Lenkführungshebels war nicht mehr fest (aber auch nicht komplett lose). Ich hatte alles mit Drehmoment angezogen, Schrauben und Muttern waren auch original neu. Kann man das Lager im Lenkführungshebel normalerweise mit der Hand drehen? Bei mir geht das nicht. Wie ist das Lager ausgebaut? Mehrere Kugellager oder Rollenlager?
    google translate
    How hard is the bearing rotatable in the steering idler arm lever (right)? About 2 years ago I revised the entire steering. All original parts. Now I had a creak when I steered. I drove about 1000km since the change. The fastening screw of the steering guide idle lever was no longer tight (but also not completely loose). I had tightened everything with correct torque, screws and nuts were also originally new. Can you normally turn the bearing in the steering control idler lever arm by hand? That does not work for me. How is the bearing removed? Multiple ball bearings or roller bearings?
    ----------
    Klemmende Lenkhebel sind leider Standard. = stuck steering idler levers are unfortunately "standard" = can be found often.
    Apparently some aftermarket bushes are too short for the idler arm and when tightened they get stuck , a washer on both sides might help, that the bush of the idler arm moves free, here drawings of idler arm and pitman arm http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...ering_link.htm

BMW E34 steering idler arm bushing in a vise: New properly working steering idler arm bushing (made by Lemförder) squeezed in a vise. A washer in each end is used to protect the bushing. It is possible to rotate the bushing by hand although it is tight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HqXcZvrD94
    Last edited by shogun; 04-21-2020 at 12:33 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by biasvoltage View Post
    Shogun, my dad is a retired professional photographer, but his passion and hobby is machining. I sent him the diagram and photographs you posted and he sunk his teeth into it - and created this piece of industrial jewelry:
    DSC_0164.JPGDSC_0165.JPGDSC_0167.JPG

I'd say he went above and beyond the call of duty here! He had to figure out a few things himself, but between the diagram and photos it wasn't too difficult. For anyone considering building one of these, the brass insert in the main body of the tool has a threaded hole that the long thumbscrew threads into; so you don't have to thread the entire depth of the hole. I'm going to put it to use within the next couple of weeks as I replace the front suspension on my E32 750iL.

And before anyone asks, No, it's not for sale, or loan, or rent
    I came across this thread while refreshing my knowledge on front end suspension and steering tips and tricks as I prepare to do another R&R on those components for one of my E32s. Even though this won't be the first time refreshing the front end on an e32 / e34 I always forget the little details. I was looking into the BMW tool for setting the pitman arm (and center link) to level when I saw your post, and I have to say your dad has some skill, that thing is a goddamn work of art! The custom storage box with the tool part number plaque and the BMW logo is just so awesome
    Last edited by m60power; 06-17-2023 at 10:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12