Thread: Clutch making popping/clunking noise. Video included

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i

Clutch making popping/clunking noise. Video included

Hi guys, just the other day my clutch started making a faily loud clunk as I release it, and I also feel a click in the pedal at the same time. It can be felt while driving too. Engagement seems to be okay. Here's a video of the noise.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVt57C4y3xo[/ame]

Ignore that creaking noise - that's from my jeans against the seat. Any ideas? I'm thinking my slave cylinder might be on its way out, but I'm really taking a guess there

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Last edited by 328ci906; 09-02-2012 at 07:09 PM.

2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon | BC Racing Coils | VMR VB3's | Coby Wheel |
    (I Loan Valve Adjustment Tools! PM me...)

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the M-clunk only happens when the car is running. In any case, this issue just started yesterday, and I know I never got much of a sensation in my foot. I think something is binding. Hopefully won't cost me too much money ><

My Cars
    2000 323i & 2001 330ci
    the rear dif bushing ( the one mounted to the rear dif cover) will make a clunk when worn and usually only felt when going from a stop or reverse to 1st etc. Clunk may transfer to the foot and feel like a clutch issue- since it may only occur when the intial load is applied to worn bushing when you release the clutch?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by qafred View Post
    the rear dif bushing ( the one mounted to the rear dif cover) will make a clunk when worn and usually only felt when going from a stop or reverse to 1st etc. Clunk may transfer to the foot and feel like a clutch issue- since it may only occur when the intial load is applied to worn bushing when you release the clutch?
    Even with the engine off in neutral?

My Cars
    2000 323i & 2001 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Even with the engine off in neutral?
    oops, should have watched / listened to the video - only read the post. I am thinking slave cylinder after listening/watching or the pivot bushing at the top of the clutch pedal? known to squeek but not click.
    Last edited by qafred; 09-02-2012 at 09:59 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by qafred View Post
    oops, should have watched / listened to the video - only read the post. I am thinking slave cylinder after listening/watching or the pivot bushing at the top of the clutch pedal? known to squeek but not click.
    Okay - assuming it's the slave cylinder, is there anything I can do to confirm, asides for getting in there and taking it apart?

Other possibilities I'm thinking of is something with the clutch or pressure plate. Someone on e46fanatics mentioned that it sounds like something is binding in there - maybe one of the springs got messed up and isn't compressing quite right

Found this:
    http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...=160081&page=3

Their description sounds similar to mine. Sounds like it's going to be the clutch disk or pressure plate itself
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 09-03-2012 at 12:19 AM.

My Cars
    2000 323i & 2001 330ci
    good point, slave cylinder is a simple hydraulic push rod that moves the lever which pushes the throw out bearing and onto the pressure plate leafs. More likely a pressure plate leaf.
    Either case, I would get under it and have someone push the pedal and listen for the culprit. Good luck...keep us posted!

Did you read this in the post #14 you sent me?

"Mine was doing that so I gave something a shot that made it go away. With the car running or not (doesn't seem to matter), push the clutch in and release it by moving your foot to the side so that it pops up quickly. Do this a bunch of times and the stickyness should go away".

Post #30 states:
    It's one of two things:

1) Bad slave cylinder - where the pin mounts, the clip can crack or break resulting in a floppy pin. Inconsistent clutch engagement point is the result.

2) Most likely - the self-adjusting clutch pressure plate is a continuing source of problems in the standard E46, E46 M3, and E39 models (all). The SAC mechanism fails in a couple of very interesting ways, one of which has symptoms exactly as many of you are describing. This is a design flaw, and should be warranteed.
    Last edited by qafred; 09-03-2012 at 01:29 AM.

My Cars
    '06 Slvr ///M Roadster
    I realize this is an ancient thread, but what was the resolution?