Thread: Easiest way to install the steering wheel column snap ring

My Cars
    95' 328i 2dr / 00' 728iL

Easiest way to install the steering wheel column snap ring

Hello everyone

i was just changing my steering wheel bearing and after 1 hour of trying to get it back with failure i discovered the easiest way to get it back on

Simply put everything in place except the final ring ( No. 5 in this diagram )

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Put this ring in the wrong way so the groove made for the snap ring is facing towards you

simply put the steering wheel on and tighten the steering wheel all the way and then... VOILA

The snap ring is in place

I hope that this could help anyone trying to change his steering wheel bearing

Edit : of course you should remove the steering wheel again and put the ring back into the correct position
    Last edited by fahdyehia628; 08-31-2012 at 07:47 PM.

95 E36 316i coupe
    M52B28 swap, Electric heated leather sport seats, Mtech steering wheel, Mtech bumpers, PDC, Illuminated gearknob, Chromeline interior, 4300K Bixenon ( Hella evox-r ), Koni Str.t/Eibach prokit, Eibach swaybars, Z3 steering rack, 17" BBS RC304, Michelin pilot sport tires

My Cars
    328iS
    Awesome! That thing caused me endless frustration when I replaced my steering lock mechanism. I hope anyone messing with their steering column finds this!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You can also just insert one end of the ring (#4) into its groove then use a screw driver and work your way around the ring. The end of the shaft is tapered so the ring expands as you push it into that slot that it sits in.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 08-31-2012 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    95' 328i 2dr / 00' 728iL
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    You can also just insert one end of the ring (#4) into its groove then use a screw driver and work your way around the ring. The end of the shaft is tapered so the ring expands as you push it into that slot that it sits in.
    that was the method i was trying and i didn't work

i spent about 30 minutes trying this

when i got the end it the snapring into the groove and was working around the snapring would just fly

i was taking it very very easily and it just didn't work

Maybe i was doing something wrong

I don't know why
    Last edited by fahdyehia628; 08-31-2012 at 07:46 PM.

95 E36 316i coupe
    M52B28 swap, Electric heated leather sport seats, Mtech steering wheel, Mtech bumpers, PDC, Illuminated gearknob, Chromeline interior, 4300K Bixenon ( Hella evox-r ), Koni Str.t/Eibach prokit, Eibach swaybars, Z3 steering rack, 17" BBS RC304, Michelin pilot sport tires

My Cars
    1997 318i
    Genius. This was the ONLY method that would work for me, and it's fast and easy. My problem was that the column would settle a few millimeters down towards the rack. That was enough to make the ring groove inaccessible. This method is great because it pulls the column up while simultaneously pushing the ring down. Done!

My Cars
    E36 M3 3.2 EVO

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323ic
    Brilliant.