Thread: Curb Rash on 2011 Loaner

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5

Curb Rash on 2011 Loaner

I got a little curb rash on one of the rims on a 2011 loaner from the dealership. Do they charge for this or do they expect that kind of thing on loaners?

My Cars
    95 M3
    They will charge. call the loaner guys and tell them

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    Would I better off trying to get it repaired myself by a bodyshop before I turn the car in?

My Cars
    F10 M5
    It depends on your relationship with your service advisor. I would think that most would not charge. If they do charge, don't pay any more than $100. I've gotten wheels fixed for as little as $60.

My Cars
    1994 530i
    I would just return it and not say anything. At my Infiniti dealership, they don't do a return inspection or anything like that.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport 5spd
    They won't notice i bet. It's a loaner, these things happen. When it comes time to sell it they will fix everything.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    My dealer does a return inspection all the time... I routinely get hit with over mileage fees on each loaner I take out.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by knickfan5745 View Post
    Would I better off trying to get it repaired myself by a bodyshop before I turn the car in?
    dont do this. just tell them. i've had customers try this before... ended up banned from loaner cars. as for people saying dont tell them are assholes. just call them.

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    I guess I'll just have to man up and point it out to them when I turn the car in. What's the point of calling though?

Pic for anyone interested.
    Last edited by knickfan5745; 10-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    That doesn't wipe off?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    e36 m3 + e36 328
    i think some of that will wipe off
    m50 mani/s52 cams/TRM tune with 3.5 intake and MAF/asc delete/3.15lsd/ECIS intake/tse exhaust/bilsteins with H&R springs

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    That doesn't wipe off?
    Uploaded the wrong pic.

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    They really look at that kind of stuff when returning loaners and hit you with fees??? :eek

I can understand scratches/dents etc. on the body and messed up interior, but a 2" curb rash on the wheel??? Wow... Good that I stay clear of those places.
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    2005 MC C230K Sport
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71
    2010 Chevy Tahoe LT2

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    it's business decision and damage is damage. the dealership expects to be able to sell the vehicle as a very clean used car when it's pulled out of the loaner fleet. the dealership wants maximum return on their car and the potential buyer doesn't want curbed wheels.

look at it this way: if they curbed one of your wheels while test driving your car after it was serviced...would it be cool if they didn't tell you and if you knew about it, wouldn't you want them to have it repaired? heck some people out there would demand that they get a new wheel rather then a repair.

good luck with what ever route you choose.

-Ron

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    99 M3 Convertible
    Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

As themadhatter pointed out, if they curbed your wheel while they were test driving your car, wouldn't you want them to tell you about it?

I'd let them know about it. They'll probably be pleased enough with your honesty about it that they won't charge you for it. Even if they do, worst case scenario you pay to have a wheel repaired.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Previous post says it the way I see it as well. You would want the courtesy of someone admitting they curbed your wheel. The dealerships near me, CO's and Gebhardt, I think would appreciate the honesty and would not charge me for it.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325I soft top
    Tell them that you curbed it...most dealerships have a contact for a wheel repair guy that can come out and repair it on site...it usually runs about 75 bucks...if you're up front with them, they may not charge you for it...lots of dealerships know that the cars are not going to be 100% when they get resold, that's one reason why you can buy a "new" service loaner for less money...but try to run it past your favorite service advisor...if you "just turn it in and not say anything" not only is it dishonest, but there is always that chance that you could get caught...chances are slim, but last thing you want is for the dealership to label you as a weasel, because that stuff does follow you around. good luck and i think you'll be fine...p.s. i wouldn't fix it, cause if the guy who does the repairs, screws up, it's your behind since you had the car.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    • Most car rental companies do not care about curb rash.
    • BMW lease return policy allows curb rash within reason.
    • Curb rash happens all the time and thus typically fixed on all cars before resale.

Point is, let your advisor know, and chances are they will tell you not to sweat it. If they do hassle you about it, mention the points above .
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)