Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 Can bus project.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Hello,

After dragging the cluster and breadboards to the car, thought it would be best to fasten it all to a board. Being in temporary housing I don't have a drill or a board or much of any tools. Decided a couple layers of thick cardboard glued together might be the trick. "Kids: Where'd the glue stick go? Me: You must of used it all."

IMG_0943.jpg
    A very budget concious mounting. Yes that IS a real shoe string. But no it doesn't use any bailing wire. It's picture hanging wire (found in the house) and twist ties.

IMG_0942.jpg
    Here is my daughter demonstrating it's portable by turning it upside down. I should have done this in November. Would have lost less project time. This current set up uses a OBDII socket like the car would have to connect the devices to the IKE. Small things make me happy I guess.

Thaniel
    Last edited by Thaniel; 04-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    HAHAHA! Whatever works!
    Chris

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Subscribed!

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    I wanted to report back on our progress running stand alone (MegaSquirt MS3) in 1999 E46 323i with M54 3.0L. Tachometer and coolant temp gauge are working via CAN bus from the MS3 (Broadcast messages).

ABS still works. And unfortunately it can still go into "Ice Mode". I was sort of hoping we could have broken that part...

This car was not a drive by wire car. MDK throttle body was tossed for M50 intake and throttle. So no stability control or traction currently works.
    Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    BMW 120d
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Hadn't planned on working with the instrument cluster until we got the right connectors. But Garrett said "surely we could put power to it and see the lights come on". So I scavanged a few connectors and wire around the house (and duct tape) and we did just that. Then well it's only 2 more pins to connect up the Can Bus. One thing leads to another and...

Like the E36 the temperature guage is not happy unless there is some RPM on the tach. We messed with it a bit and feel we have pretty good values to move the Tach and Temp guage. Oh also learned the instrument cluster sends OUT ARBID 0x615. We "listened" to the bus and with the cluster just by it self we got 0x615 0:0:0:A8:0:0:0:0
    Hi Thaniel,

Hope you are well. So I managed to get an Instrument Cluster of my own, and would like to hook it up and get the dials working.

Could you show us how you connected up your Instrument Cluster in order to get it to work? I found a few sources on the internet about the connections but am struggling to get it working.

Your help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    BME e46
    Hi Thaniel,

Nice thread!

I needed the vehicle speed for a project and found the ID and signal information using the Venamics VMS-CAN logger (www.venamics.nl). Maybe you can add it to the list if you want. It's found on a E46 LCi 320d:

ID 339 / 0x153
    Signal startbit: 12
    Bit length: 12
    Counting method: INTEL lsb
    Gain: 1/8

Speed is validated with a GPS speed signal, logged simultaniously.

Speed is valid above 0.5 km/h

Regards,

Willem-Jan Lamers
    Venamics

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by wlamers View Post
    Hi Thaniel,

Nice thread!

I needed the vehicle speed for a project and found the ID and signal information using the Venamics VMS-CAN logger (www.venamics.nl). Maybe you can add it to the list if you want. It's found on a E46 LCi 320d:

ID 339 / 0x153

Regards,

Willem-Jan Lamers
    Venamics
    Gain = 1/8 means 0x0008 = 1 km/hr?
    Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    BME e46
    Quote Originally Posted by pftuning View Post
    Gain = 1/8 means 0x0008 = 1 km/hr?
    Thanks

That's correct.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Sorry for the slow responses. Had a week of meetings in Germany. Long days and late evenings with little free time. Did manage to score a German licence plate from a co worker. Most people think I'm nuts mentioning I'd like one. He simply brought one in the next day and gave it to me. Proudly pointing out the marks left from the Bavarian stickers. (recently moved to Stuttgart area).

Did do some reading on the train and testing trying to sort out the problem we are having transmitting over the K-bus. We have managed to get the Arduino to listen to the Kbus. Took a bit as the Library files are set up to only do 8N1 protocol and the K-bus is 8E1 (there I go again dumping out libraries into the program). Another thing to mention is the Kbus is +12v at idle where most bus protocols apparently are 0 V at idle. (The Arduino library does allow for that). The circuit I was using seems to ground out the Tx line when not in use. Used this circuit simulator to test some examples http://www.falstad.com/circuit/index.html Just need to try it in real life. Sorting out the K-bus has been done by others. I am just duplicating work done by others. With the K-bus in play we can capture the speed control buttons from the wheel to control a cruise module or whatever.

On the plane read some about hooking an Ipod to the Arduino. I am planning to make a IPOD to K-bus adapter like the ones available comercially. I have one but there are some functions I'd like to change. And looks like I can make one for a fraction of the prices of the premade one (I have several BMW's so it's worth it). Not really engine swap related so I'll keep details in this thread at a minimum.

This morning we did try out "bare chips" can interface. Our new Mcp2551 chips came in while I was gone. Sure enough it works perfect. So I can interface with the cluster without using the sparkfun shield. Or can run both on two different can buses (like a gateway). Simlar to what I did with the ELM327 and the can sheild. Noticed that on power up the bare chips tend to like to be reset prior to transmitting properly. No biggie but something to note.

Oh and remember how I made the cluster all on one board nice and tidy. Well now I've added an Ipod dock connector and DB9 serial connector dangling off it. It just keeps growing.

I wanted to report back on our progress running stand alone (MegaSquirt MS3) in 1999 E46 323i with M54 3.0L. Tachometer and coolant temp gauge are working via CAN bus from the MS3 (Broadcast messages).

ABS still works. And unfortunately it can still go into "Ice Mode". I was sort of hoping we could have broken that part...

This car was not a drive by wire car. MDK throttle body was tossed for M50 intake and throttle. So no stability control or traction currently works.
    Great to hear. Not sure I know what "Ice Mode" is. You could try sending the Throttle position signal (0x329 bit 5) and seeing what effect that has on the stability control. If you could even tell (perhaps it sets an error code?)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nurburgracer View Post
    Hi Thaniel,

Hope you are well. So I managed to get an Instrument Cluster of my own, and would like to hook it up and get the dials working.

Could you show us how you connected up your Instrument Cluster in order to get it to work? I found a few sources on the internet about the connections but am struggling to get it working.

Your help would be appreciated.
    No problem. Good for me to document what I have hooked up at the moment. The ones highlighted blue are not needed to drive the can bus connected guages. But I included all the pins if you want to hook up more wires to turn off some of the lights. Or in other words hook up pin 1, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10. The rest is optional. Table below for reference and following that a table showing my connections for my cluster. I also have some of the x11176 connectors hooked up but they are really just for fun (outside temp and switching the OBC screen)

If you want my complete .xls file PM me your e-mail. It's 4mb comressed and doesn't seem to be able to attach. It has lots of screen shots and diagrams and information I found useful from various places.

Pin out
    Pin Function on X11175 Black 26-pin Wire Size/Color
    1 Ground 0.5 BR/SW
    2 Signal Battery Charge Indicator 0.35 BL
    3 Engine Start Signal Feedback 0.35 SW/GN
    4 Fuse F43 (5 Amp) 0.5 RT/GE/WS
    5 Fuse F34 (5 Amp) 0.5 GN/BL
    6 Fuse F10 (5 Amp) 0.5 VI/GE
    7 Signal Locator Lighting
    8 Speedometer Signal Output 0.35 SW/WS
    9 CAN Bus High 0.5 GE/RT
    10 CAN Bus Low 0.5 GE/BR
    11 Fuel Tank Sensor, Right (B6-1) 0.5 SW/RT/WS
    12 Fuel Tank Sensor, Right GND (B6-2) 0.5 BR/SW/WS
    13 Signal Oil Pressure (A6000-11) 0.35 BR/GN
    14 K-Bus Signal 0.35 WS/RT/GE
    15 Signal, Fuel Tank Sensor Left (M2-6) 0.5 SW/RT/GE
    16 Signal, Fuel Tank Sensor Left, GND (M2-4) 0.5 BR/SW/GE
    17 Signal, Oil Level Sensor (A6000-21) 0.5 WS/GN
    18 Signal, Service Interval Indicator Reset 0.5 SW/RT
    19 Signal, Wheel Speed, Rear Left 0.35 GE/GN
    20 Signal, Brake Fluid Level 0.35 BR/GN/GE
    21 Signal, Airbag Warning LED (A12-7) 0.35 BR/VI
    22 Signal Warning Lamp (A65-44) 0.5 GR/SW/GE
    23 Signal, Parking Brake 0.5 BL/BR/GE
    24 Signal, Brake Wear Sensor 0.35 GE
    25 Diag Signal TXD 0.35 WS/VI
    26 Coolant level too low (S63-2) 0.35 BR/WS

My connections. Highlighted do not need connected for basic operation
    X11175 connector on test cluster Connected to
    (highlighted not needed for basic operation)
    1 Ground
    2 no connection
    3 no connection
    4 +12 V Bat
    5 +12 V Switched (IGN)
    6 +12 V Switched (IGN)
    7 +12 V Switched (IGN)
    8 no connection
    9 MCP2551 Pin 7 (120 ohm resister between pin 9 and 10)
    10 MCP2551 Pin 6
    11 Pin 15
    12 to Pin 16 and 220 Ohm resistor to pin15
    13 no connection
    14 OBDII socket. K-bus devices
    15 see pin 12
    16 Pin 12
    17 no connection
    18 no connection
    19 Speed signal (pulsed)
    20 Ground
    21 no connection
    22 no connection
    23 no connection
    24 Ground
    25 OBDII Socket. D-Bus
    26 Ground

No Pins on X11176 Need populated for basic operation.

- - - Updated
    othing on X11176 is needed for basic operation - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wlamers View Post
    Maybe you can add it to the list if you want. It's found on a E46 LCi 320d:

ID 339 / 0x153

Great Thanks. Yes I'll add to the list. I'd suspected that those bits were speed but hadn't verified. I have a number of other thoughts on what some bytes might be but haven't posted here to ensure I don't confuse people. Like 0x1f0 B0-B7 appear to have indivdual wheel speeds. If you want to dig more feel free to drop me an e-mail and I'll send you the current notes on the ID's.

By the way what does "ID 339" mean?
    Last edited by Thaniel; 01-15-2018 at 03:39 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    Doesn't 339 = 0x0153?

Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    VW Lupo
    Hello there! I've been stalking this topic for a while now as I've extremely new to CAN and anything automotive, but it is a field I would like to pursue in my spare time while studying ECE in University

I took delivery of the CAN Arduino shield today and was looking for some guidance for the CANduino library as there isn't much documentation around. The first thing I want to do to get it up and running is to just sniff the bus of my VW Lupo via the OBD port and output them to the serial monitor.

Look forward to reading more!

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Doesn't 339 = 0x0153?
    Ah yes. Been looking at this stuff in Hex so long it never occured to me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by smnanthny View Post
    Hello there! I've been stalking this topic for a while now as I've extremely new to CAN and anything automotive, but it is a field I would like to pursue in my spare time while studying ECE in University

I took delivery of the CAN Arduino shield today and was looking for some guidance for the CANduino library as there isn't much documentation around. The first thing I want to do to get it up and running is to just sniff the bus of my VW Lupo via the OBD port and output them to the serial monitor.

Look forward to reading more!
    Yes it's great fun. I downloaded probably a dozen different can libraries and example programs. Honestly most were not suited for Automotive can sniffing. So I combined some into my own program and moved most can library functions into subroutines. I believe there is a version posted in this thread (called bus_monitor or somethign). If not pm or e-mail me your e-mail and I can send a copy over. It's kind of ugly coding but was a means to an end.

Thaniel

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    Blame MoTeC for my ability to work in both hex and decimal CAN addresses. The M800 ecu uses decimal, while the CDL3 dash logger and PDM30 use hex.

:

Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    e38 740i e39 540 wagon

This morning we did try out "bare chips" can interface. Our new Mcp2551 chips came in while I was gone. Sure enough it works perfect. So I can interface with the cluster without using the sparkfun shield. Or can run both on two different can buses (like a gateway). Simlar to what I did with the ELM327 and the can sheild. Noticed that on power up the bare chips tend to like to be reset prior to transmitting properly. No biggie but something to note.

ferite capcitors on the voltage regulator legs help with that, the bead style ones. little tiny guys. Also optically isolate the mpc chips from the can bus, they can float ground voltage levels cuasing all kind of nonsense.

My Cars
    VW Lupo
    Yes it's great fun. I downloaded probably a dozen different can libraries and example programs. Honestly most were not suited for Automotive can sniffing. So I combined some into my own program and moved most can library functions into subroutines. I believe there is a version posted in this thread (called bus_monitor or somethign). If not pm or e-mail me your e-mail and I can send a copy over. It's kind of ugly coding but was a means to an end.

Thaniel
    Cheers mate Found the program so I'll give it a bash once I get a few more bits that I've ordered. How are you talking to the CAN Controller now? Are you using your own/3rd party libraries? Seems I have lots to learn ^_^

My Cars
    BMW 120d
    Thanks Thaniel, that helps so much! Now all I need to do is get the neccesary connectors and will be in business!

Cheers

My Cars
    BMW 318i
    Hello and thanks for so interesting thread!
    I have question. This is possible to read doors status from CAN bus?

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by tzar View Post
    The first post a question .. First response to said question .. Google it, then search the WDS its the wiring diagram for BMW. Search that
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    The first post a question .. First response to said question .. Google it, then search the WDS its the wiring diagram for BMW. Search that
    Well, you're being very helpful...And how does it matter if it is his first post or not? It is your 441 post and there is no value from it... If you don't know the answer you don't need to send him searching. If you do, then just post it. It's not like he is asking something obvious as "how much oil my car uses". These type of responses derail and clutter threads. \off subject
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    WDS? Ok. Please point me WDS page where I can find information about which arbitration id related to doors status.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    How's it in Kzakhstan?

In the E46 I don't believe door status to be on the Can bus. It is on the K-bus (have the message ID's for the doors even) but I don't believe the IKE repeats the message over onto the can bus. Newer cars more is on the can bus and is probably on there.

Thaniel

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smnanthny View Post
    How are you talking to the CAN Controller now? Are you using your own/3rd party libraries? Seems I have lots to learn ^_^
    We (my son and I) are using the MCP2515 library but we pulled it into the main program as a tab for ease of reference and editing. If I remember right we had to edit the SS pin designation that was hard codedin the library. It's a huge pain to edit the libraries. They aren't designed to be modified frequently.

Also are using some can bus subroutines borrowed and modified from a couple other can libraries. We pulled it all into the main sketch as many of the subroutines in the can libraries were renaming variables and then calling an MCP2515 subroutine. Was confusing and seemed waste so we eliminated the double calls and the main program calls straight to the MCP2515.

If you hav emore questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Thaniel; 04-23-2013 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Thaniel, Is IKE a body control module or is it something else?
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Thaniel, Is IKE a body control module or is it something else?
    Ahh... Finally found the acronyms:
    EKM = Electronic body Module
    ZKE = Central Body Electronics
    IKE = Instrument Cluster Electronics
    Last edited by bimerok; 04-24-2013 at 09:39 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 318i
    How's it in Kzakhstan?
    Differently... Depends on time of year and the situation in the world :-)

In the E46 I don't believe door status to be on the Can bus. It is on the K-bus (have the message ID's for the doors even) but I don't believe the IKE repeats the message over onto the can bus. Newer cars more is on the can bus and is probably on there.
    Ok. Thanks for answer.

May be offtopic but then I have another question :-). Doors have hall effect switches so I can read their status with arduino (at least theoretically). I'm programmer and not so good with electronic components. Of course I can read schematics etc. But if necessary to add or remove something from schema then this is a problem :-). May be you know... Can I connect arduino directly to contacts 23-26 of X253 (hall switches contacts) or necessary to add something between? I do not know that... may be any resistor or diode...

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    May be offtopic but then I have another question :-). Doors have hall effect switches so I can read their status with arduino (at least theoretically). I'm programmer and not so good with electronic components. Of course I can read schematics etc. But if necessary to add or remove something from schema then this is a problem :-). May be you know... Can I connect arduino directly to contacts 23-26 of X253 (hall switches contacts) or necessary to add something between? I do not know that... may be any resistor or diode...
    sorry I don't know the answer to that. I would recommend connecting to the Kbus and getting the door status and much more. Should be only a few resisters and a transistor or so to connect up. Then it is all in the programming. I currently have my Arduino reading the k bus. Drop me an email I can send some files to save some searching if you like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Ahh... Finally found the acronyms:
    EKM = Electronic body Module
    ZKE = Central Body Electronics
    IKE = Instrument Cluster Electronics
    yah. I've tried to stay away from the acronyms as they are confusing but guess I'm getting in too immersed.

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast