Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 Can bus project.

My Cars
    2001 E46 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dgorman1 View Post
    Wow, okay. So knowing that fuel usage is on the diagnostic bus, how would we go about figuring out communications with it and reading values?

This is fantastic work!! Thank you both! Knowing that I'm not wasting time trying to chase and OBD PId saves a bunch of time. If there is some way I can help contribute, let me know
    Thaniel,
    Just curious if there is a way I can grab the ARBID/data from the diagnostic bus to get this. I noticed in your other posts that you were able to dump it - which means that however you dumped it - it was using the correct protocol/comms - correct? Any pointers on how I can keep moving on that?

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Update:
    Well I knew it was likely to happen someday and it finally did. I damaged my arduino. It's been a good little controller and tolerated many errors. But I must have crossed a line. It actually still works but the USB connection for loading the programs is fried. Guess it is time to buy another one.

Before I fried the arduino I did get some testing done with my ls1. The rpm and temp using the obdii pids worked but the timing in the program to send to the Ike caused the temp gage to drop. Same issue I had with the Laguna. With a little tweaking that could be made to work. I have a video but haven taken time to upload.

I also tested capturing the rpm and temp signals direct (analog). (This is where i fried the arduino. i had missed connecting one of the grounds on my bread board. oops.) The rpm worked great. But oddly when I connected the temp signal the rpm was jumpy. Wasn't able to diagnose due to the broken arduino. It could be partly due to how the arduino senses analog voltages. It tends to take many CPU cycles. Have to look into this more.

Have a video of the rpm working with the Ike under the hood of my ls1 e36. As well.

Not much will happen this week as I'll be on Long Island all week for work. And immediately following that will be driving to Michigan for a wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by dgorman1 View Post
    Just curious if there is a way I can grab the ARBID/data from the diagnostic bus to get this. I noticed in your other posts that you were able to dump it - which means that however you dumped it - it was using the correct protocol/comms - correct? Any pointers on how I can keep moving on that?
    the only fuel consumption data I have found is on the can bus. On e46 cars the can bus is not wired to the diagnostic ports. Well thinking about it, the mpg might be repeated over the I bus for the nav unit. But I don't know off the top of my head. There are people elsewhere on the forum with more knowledge of the Ibus. I bet they would know.

thaniel

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325IS, 1987 BMW 325IS
    I really wish I better understood what you are doing but I don't keep up the good work!

My Cars
    e38 740i e39 540 wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Update.

My container from Sweden arrived friday. So now the house is full of boxes. But I do have all my stuff again. Guess I could have shipped my isntrument cluster in the container instead of my suitcase.

I've made it through most of the car and motorcycle repairs on my "to do" list. So doing some proof of concept with my LS1 and E46 cluster is starting to become appealing. Yesterday did some work on the "analog" connection circuit using the Eagle schematic software. Took me a bit to figure out the software out but can work it ok now.

Thaniel

Congrats on the smooth move, I saw a post where you siad you were comming to michigan ? which part and when, I got a e39 cluster you can take home with ya to work on !!!

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanCollins View Post
    Congrats on the smooth move, I saw a post where you siad you were comming to michigan ? which part and when, I got a e39 cluster you can take home with ya to work on !!!
    Yes I'm in Michigan right now. Midland area. I'd like to take the cluster. Not sure how I could arrange to meet up.

I bought a new uno today. And while stuck at the airport last week I found how to speed up the temperature (voltage) sensing on the arduino. And I ordered another obdii reader to see if it might be easier to modify than the one I have. The one I have works for me but looking out for you guys :-). I've also read that an UNO can read the class2serial without using a interface. So that might be a future project (winter).

For those keeping track, the 330 auto trans I was going to pick up is here. I know what I'll be doing Saturday.

does anyone know what the part number for the obdii pins is? It lists two. I've been meaning to try and figure it out but been busy. I wand to connect the canbus to my e46,s. obdii socket so I can do some testing on the car.

thaniel

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Thaniel,

I'm starting to lay out my wiring harness in prep for my swap. In doing so, I got to thinking about hooking up the cruise control. I had expected it to be a simple wire up process, but yet again BMW never makes anything simple. Instead of each function on the cruse control being a separate analog wire, it looks like everything is fed through a single wire utilizing pulses (I guess?). Have you thought about how we make cruise control work (convert from the digital pulses to regular analog outputs)?

Chris
    Chris

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Z4 View Post
    it looks like everything is fed through a single wire utilizing pulses (I guess?). Have you thought about how we make cruise control work (convert from the digital pulses to regular analog outputs)?
    Yes I've done some reading on the subject. I think the data stream can be captured without too much trouble. I'm thinking (hoping) that it will probably be similar to the Ibus format. Just need some time to test it out.

A dedicated arduino listening to the cruise buttons could easily send out some analog signals for another unit to use.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Yes I've done some reading on the subject. I think the data stream can be captured without too much trouble. I'm thinking (hoping) that it will probably be similar to the Ibus format. Just need some time to test it out.

A dedicated arduino listening to the cruise buttons could easily send out some analog signals for another unit to use.
    Glad to hear you have a possible solution. I had expected the cruise buttons to be analog (like GM stuff) and never thought about it being any different.
    Chris

My Cars
    e38 740i e39 540 wagon
    Yes I'm in Michigan right now. Midland area. I'd like to take the cluster. Not sure how I could arrange to meet up.

I bought a new uno today. And while stuck at the airport last week I found how to speed up the temperature (voltage) sensing on the arduino. And I ordered another obdii reader to see if it might be easier to modify than the one I have. The one I have works for me but looking out for you guys :-). I've also read that an UNO can read the class2serial without using a interface. So that might be a future project (winter).

For those keeping track, the 330 auto trans I was going to pick up is here. I know what I'll be doing Saturday.

does anyone know what the part number for the obdii pins is? It lists two. I've been meaning to try and figure it out but been busy. I wand to connect the canbus to my e46,s. obdii socket so I can do some testing on the car.

thaniel
    wh

when do you leave midland is like 1.5hr north of me. pop me a pm you better be staying for the woodward dream cruis this saturday, totally worth it !!!!!!!

as to the obd2 pins, are you talking about the odb2 connector terminals the males or females ? I have both

In the Darkness, where fear and knowing are one
    My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    wh

as to the obd2 pins, are you talking about the odb2 connector terminals the males or females ? I have both
    Do you have the part numbers?

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideofWill View Post
    Do you have the part numbers?
    No. Using real oem I can't tell what the part number will be. Looking for the metal bit that wire from the car side attaches to.

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    I was asking SeanCollins if he had the part numbers...

I've done my share of harness work with GM cars; just not much with BMW yet.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    when do you leave midland is like 1.5hr north of me. pop me a pm you better be staying for the woodward dream cruis this saturday, totally worth it !!!!!!!
    Sorry we weren't able to hook up. Was only a quick trip. Was actually needed at 3 places at the same time. So didn't dare stay too long.
    Trans in trunk small.jpg

For those that have ever wondered, yes a E46 auto trans fits nicely in the trunk. Here's my brothers 330i trans in the back. Also brought back 2 driveshafts (330i auto and M3 Manual), flex plate and auto shifter assembly. Oh and of course our luggage and 2 kids (now adult sized). The weight balance was definately off. My family said "I guess that's why they don't mount the transmission in the trunk". What does this all have to do with E46 can bus? not a lot other than fixing the Red BMW has been taking up my time and it is now driving in forward and reverse. My daughter has taken over this car so it' won't be swapped anytime this soon. Recent Pic of my garage. I don't only drive BMW's. There's a non BMW vehicle between the green and black BMW.
    Garage BMW.jpg

But not all things were stopped. While my arms were aching from pulling the trans and drilling out broken exhaust bolts I did disassemble the other OBDII module we had bought. It has a nice set of pins that look like they would be easy access to serial connect to the chip. I soldered on a header and tried to test it out but the LED's aren't labled and I ran out of time trying to figure out what was going on. But the board is very compact and I'm thinking could be turned into an ELM327 sheild.

I also looked at the program to run the gage cluster off the OBDII PID's. The ipod project has taught me a lot. Looking at the OBDII PID program it has many places for the program to bog down. This is what causes the temp needle to drop. I'd learned how to write the read routines to not let the program bog down as if it did the radio would quite listening the ipod (CD changer in it's world). So I've started re writing the OBDII pid program with the serial reading structure of the ipod program. Have the main routines rewritten already. I need to redo the main program to send the can bus and inquire on the OBDII at specific intervals based on time stamps instead of delays. This should keep from over polling and keep things sending at regular intervals.

I'm on Long Island for work this week and not traveling in a big group this time. Should be able to get some more programing done. Getting started is often the hardest part.

Thaniel

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Progress is progress.
    Chris

My Cars
    e38 740i e39 540 wagon
    I was asking SeanCollins if he had the part numbers...

I've done my share of harness work with GM cars; just not much with BMW yet.

should be the same

- - - Updated - - -

Come up for the dream cruise next year. Helluva a good time

Sorry we weren't able to hook up. Was only a quick trip. Was actually needed at 3 places at the same time. So didn't dare stay too long.
    Trans in trunk small.jpg

For those that have ever wondered, yes a E46 auto trans fits nicely in the trunk. Here's my brothers 330i trans in the back. Also brought back 2 driveshafts (330i auto and M3 Manual), flex plate and auto shifter assembly. Oh and of course our luggage and 2 kids (now adult sized). The weight balance was definately off. My family said "I guess that's why they don't mount the transmission in the trunk". What does this all have to do with E46 can bus? not a lot other than fixing the Red BMW has been taking up my time and it is now driving in forward and reverse. My daughter has taken over this car so it' won't be swapped anytime this soon. Recent Pic of my garage. I don't only drive BMW's. There's a non BMW vehicle between the green and black BMW.
    Garage BMW.jpg

But not all things were stopped. While my arms were aching from pulling the trans and drilling out broken exhaust bolts I did disassemble the other OBDII module we had bought. It has a nice set of pins that look like they would be easy access to serial connect to the chip. I soldered on a header and tried to test it out but the LED's aren't labled and I ran out of time trying to figure out what was going on. But the board is very compact and I'm thinking could be turned into an ELM327 sheild.

I also looked at the program to run the gage cluster off the OBDII PID's. The ipod project has taught me a lot. Looking at the OBDII PID program it has many places for the program to bog down. This is what causes the temp needle to drop. I'd learned how to write the read routines to not let the program bog down as if it did the radio would quite listening the ipod (CD changer in it's world). So I've started re writing the OBDII pid program with the serial reading structure of the ipod program. Have the main routines rewritten already. I need to redo the main program to send the can bus and inquire on the OBDII at specific intervals based on time stamps instead of delays. This should keep from over polling and keep things sending at regular intervals.

I'm on Long Island for work this week and not traveling in a big group this time. Should be able to get some more programing done. Getting started is often the hardest part.

Thaniel

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    should be the same
    Was really looking for a source for BMW harness terminal and connector body part numbers.

I doubt BMW buys their diagnostic connectors and pins from Delphi.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6

With a little debugging the new program works great. RPM and temperature working perfect on the E46 cluster. Took it for a drive and all stayed working perfect. With this new program layout, additional checks will not slow the sending of the can bus or gathering the RPM signal. Gives much more flexiblility and no more dropping of the temperature gauge

Attempted to test the check engine light but couldn't easily set if off on the LS1. But it should work. Also tryied to send a speed signal to the IKE so I can test the fuel consumption (which won't work without a speed signal). The speed signal is a not can bus signal coming into the IKE. I tried tapping the one on the E36 and either didn't get the right wire, bad connection or the signals are not compatible. So nothing to report there at the moment.

In other news one of our other forum members is putting the can bus knowlege to work. See here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post26739944

Thaniel

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    Attempted to test the check engine light but couldn't easily set if off on the LS1.
    Thaniel
    If your VE tune is in shape, just unplug the MAF.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    HPTuners has the ability to turn the MIL on/off.
    Chris

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    I tried unplugging the MAF while it was running but the light didn't come on. (I dont have hp tuners) But came up with another way to test. I managed to alter the other ELM to connect to serial and we went to test it. After proving it worked my son wanted to try it on our land rover which still had a mil on. So we tested it and the mil function works perfect.

Incidentally the rover uses an iso obdii protocol and it was very slow in communicating.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    How are you tuning your ECU (most of the LS tuning software has the option to turn things on/off).
    Chris

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    Was really looking for a source for BMW harness terminal and connector body part numbers.

I doubt BMW buys their diagnostic connectors and pins from Delphi.
    Bought an M54 cam sensor and it came in a Delphi box.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    Cool. Delphi metri-pack pins?

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Z4 View Post
    How are you tuning your ECU (most of the LS tuning software has the option to turn things on/off).
    My ECU was setup in 2007 by someone else. I haven't modified the engine since. In fact, other than changing the oil and a few cooling upgrades I haven't done anything to the engine.

I've read conditions could be forced. zr6sbc had luck with doing that via the can bus on his newer LSx engine. Looked to me like the same concept but slightly different format over the class 2. But i've not tried it yet. It just all takes time.

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    Somewhat OT, but EDN does tear-downs of various gear. This week it's Bluetooth OBDII adapter. Though some of you might get a kick out of it.
    http://www.edn.com/design/automotive...etooth-adapter
    Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast