Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 Can bus project.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    If inpa, ncs expert can get the .bin file, pm me with instructions on the how to and I could get it for you pretty quick
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    If inpa, ncs expert can get the .bin file, pm me with instructions on the how to and I could get it for you pretty quick
    Thank you. That'd be great. I think it can be downloaded using those but not sure how. I'll look for some instructions and if I find some I'll pm them to you.

On another note I've got my Radio to ipod controller via the I/K bus working enough that I can show it. Discussion and details posted here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...9#post26478499

We did learn a lot. Now I think it's back to the Can Bus :-)

My Cars
    bmw e46 2000
    My cluster arrived! I've been hunting for both connectors pinouts so i can start my research and I found this http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_IKE_Connections.htm

Is this accurate for the e46m cluster? Or could anybody share the pinouts for the M e46 cluster I would be grateful.

thank you

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by adolfotregosa View Post
    My cluster arrived! I've been hunting for both connectors pinouts so i can start my research and I found this http://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_IKE_Connections.htm

Is this accurate for the e46m cluster? Or could anybody share the pinouts for the M e46 cluster I would be grateful.

thank you
    Yes that's good info. Also check here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post26279400

- - - Updated - - -

Some actual Can Bus progress again :-)

Have to say the delay playing with the ibus was not wasted. Looking at how to send the LS1 ECU the AC request signal. Reading in the WDS it indicated that the AC button on the dash sends a signal via the ibus to the instrument cluster (IKE). The IKE then in turns sends it out over the can bus. As previously captured and mentioned in this thread.

If this is true then I should be able to send the ibus message to my IKE that is set up for testing and it should then update the Can Bus message. A great way to prove out that this really does happen and to test the Arduino program. With the help of a fellow BMW owner and programmer I was supplied with the IBUS message sent when the A/C switch is switched on and off. Here's where my ibus programing comes in handy. I pull up my ipod control program. Add a statment to it that when I press "button 3" on the radio it sends the AC on request and button 4 sends AC off request (for testing purposes only). Sure I could have used a bunch of other ways to initiate the AC message over the Ibus. But this was so easy.

I gave it a try and yes it indeed works.

Ibus message 5B 05 80 83 80 08 D5 Sends the AC request on. The underlined byte being the AC status bit.
    Ibus message 5B 05 80 83 00 00 5D Sends the AC request off. The status byte in each case being resent by the IKE over the canbus as byte B0 in ID 0x615.

To be exact the most significant Bit is the status request and the other bits are Load torque, for switching the compressor on, and requested auxiliary fan speed. But the byte is passed exactly. so for example if C5 is sent to the IKE as the AC status then C5 is sent in 0x615 B0.

Summary. The AC request signal is quite simply catching the right message on the can bus. Since the program is already listening to the bus it's no problem to add that code. So for those softies that need the creature features AC control can also be added without opening up the dash.

And looking at the wiring diagrams there is one other thing to mention. The BMW's AC pressure sensor readings are fed to the IHKA (HVAC control). Best I can tell these siganls will have to be there or pressing the AC will do nothing. But for those have looked the GM ECU also wants some pressure signals. If there is luck the 2 may send smilar signals. But odds are they don't. Likely having both sensors in the system would be a good idea.

Thaniel.
    Last edited by Thaniel; 06-12-2013 at 02:38 PM.

My Cars
    machbox car
    i helped too you should at least give me some credit

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by ThanielSON View Post
    i helped too you should at least give me some credit
    Garrett, You can have all the credit :-)

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    lol

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Nice job on the AC request. The GM ECU just looks for a grounded signal request to trigger the AC compressor. So I'd guess we just make the CAN interface listen for the CAMBus AC request and the switch an output to ground thus triggering the GM ECU to turn on the AC compressor.

With respect to the GM AC pressure signal, just use the GM AC pressure switch (so have both the BMW and GM sensors installed). That way everything works 'as factory'. The GM ECU has some options that are related to AC pressure (dealing with the fan speed) so keeping the GM sensor just seems the easiest/most logical option with respect to that.

Chris
    Chris

My Cars
    bmw e46 2000
    I need help. It's like dejavu for me.. Does anybody know what are fuel gauge secrets on canbus clusters? ( I have the almost the same problem with a mazda rx8 cluster, mazda cluster only updates the gauge after I repower it)

All E46 clusters takes readings from 2 variable resistors and the gauge does reacts when I change their values ( using a pot ) but as soon has I input a speed signal (it's a variable frequency ) the fuel gauge stops working. I can change my pots values and actually see on id613 the fuel value changing on the LSB but the needle stops working. Only after some time when i shut down the speed signal does the gauge start reacting again.
    Is there any canbus id that makes the fuel gauge update ??

http://youtu.be/ezVYVB7cJtE

Little video showing the fuel gauge working (and canbus stuff working) and then it stops as soon has I input some speed signal. (the M3 warming up lights / rev lights are on id 545, upper nibble, decimal values from 1 to 7)

Any ideas ?? Thank you

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Garrett, You can have all the credit :-)
    And I should add welcome my boy Garrett to the Forum. He truely does do a lot of work on these projects.

Quote Originally Posted by V8Z4 View Post
    So I'd guess we just make the CAN interface listen for the CANBus AC request and the switch an output to ground thus triggering the GM ECU to turn on the AC compressor.
    Yes it should be as simple as that.

I need help. It's like dejavu for me.. Does anybody know what are fuel gauge secrets on canbus clusters? ( I have the almost the same problem with a mazda rx8 cluster, mazda cluster only updates the gauge after I repower it)

All E46 clusters takes readings from 2 variable resistors and the gauge does reacts when I change their values ( using a pot ) but as soon has I input a speed signal (it's a variable frequency ) the fuel gauge stops working. I can change my pots values and actually see on id613 the fuel value changing on the LSB but the needle stops working. Only after some time when i shut down the speed signal does the gauge start reacting again.
    Is there any canbus id that makes the fuel gauge update ??

http://youtu.be/ezVYVB7cJtE

Little video showing the fuel gauge working (and canbus stuff working) and then it stops as soon has I input some speed signal. (the M3 warming up lights / rev lights are on id 545, upper nibble, decimal values from 1 to 7)

Any ideas ?? Thank you
    Nice work getting it up and going. And great info on the rev lights.

The IKE is often too smart for it's own good. Many of the guages have cross checks to see if the results it gets are realistic. I expect that you are trying to move the guage needle an unrealistic amount for a car in motion? Or in other words the fuel would not go up while driving and wouldn't go down drastically. If the IKE gets a value it doesn't think is realistic from the resistance measurement it will switch to estimating based off fuel consumption. Try setting the variable resistors with "engine off" then only let it drop what it would for an engine running.

I had my IKE set up with variable resistors and the fuel guage stayed in position but I never adjusted the resistors while the speedometer was running.

Thaniel

My Cars
    bmw e46 2000
    I'm gonna try to apply your 16bit counter /fuel consumption findings and see if that makes an difference because something did make the fuel gauge drop in steps at some time or maybe it was so late last night :S

If I understood correctly the faster the 16bit counter overflows, more fuel is being consumed ? Have any suggestion for a high fuel consumption fixed counter ? I just want the fuel gauge to react as fast as possible and the reason for that is that when your driving all is good but when you change car or restart the fuel gauge has to update to the new state. I have to figure out something, any help is appreciated.

I also did find some other lights like tire puncture shown by a yellow/red light and a single bip sound.

Another thing. Still waiting for my eeprom programmer, until then, does anybody know how to change the cluster from MPH to KPH ? It should be some bit at some offset on the cluster eeprom usually is. I just need to know which one.

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    I'm gonna try to apply your 16bit counter /fuel consumption findings and see if that makes an difference because something did make the fuel gauge drop in steps at some time or maybe it was so late last night :S

If I understood correctly the faster the 16bit counter overflows, more fuel is being consumed ? Have any suggestion for a high fuel consumption fixed counter ? I just want the fuel gauge to react as fast as possible and the reason for that is that when your driving all is good but when you change car or restart the fuel gauge has to update to the new state. I have to figure out something, any help is appreciated.

I also did find some other lights like tire puncture shown by a yellow/red light and a single bip sound.

Another thing. Still waiting for my eeprom programmer, until then, does anybody know how to change the cluster from MPH to KPH ? It should be some bit at some offset on the cluster eeprom usually is. I just need to know which one.
    I thought that was done with coding tool. I think my mechanic accidentally set my wife's E39 to km/hr.
    She was not happy...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    I expect that you are trying to move the guage needle an unrealistic amount for a car in motion? Or in other words the fuel would not go up while driving and wouldn't go down drastically. If the IKE gets a value it doesn't think is realistic from the resistance measurement it will switch to estimating based off fuel consumption. Try setting the variable resistors with "engine off" then only let it drop what it would for an engine running.

I had my IKE set up with variable resistors and the fuel guage stayed in position but I never adjusted the resistors while the speedometer was running.
    I'd agree with that evaluation.

The gauge is set up to ignore rapid changes in fluctuation of fuel level while the car is in motion in order to avoid fuel slosh errors.

I park on a hill (very steep hill) and if my fuel level is low it still reads full. When I start driving the fuel level remains high because the gauge ignores the change. It takes probably 5 to 10 minutes of driving before the gauge shows correctly unless I park for at least 30 seconds. If I stop (like at a stop light) for 30 seconds or more, the gauge will pop over to low (sometimes even low enough to turn the low light on).
    Chris

My Cars
    bmw e46 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Z4 View Post
    I'd agree with that evaluation.

The gauge is set up to ignore rapid changes in fluctuation of fuel level while the car is in motion in order to avoid fuel slosh errors.

I park on a hill (very steep hill) and if my fuel level is low it still reads full. When I start driving the fuel level remains high because the gauge ignores the change. It takes probably 5 to 10 minutes of driving before the gauge shows correctly unless I park for at least 30 seconds. If I stop (like at a stop light) for 30 seconds or more, the gauge will pop over to low (sometimes even low enough to turn the low light on).
    And that is basically what I'm seeing. I have to stop the speed signal for the gauge to update, like in your case, parking or stopping on a light. That's fine, i think lol I can mimic that. I just need to make it go down like on the real car when moving and I'm missing something.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you change with that tools the cluster from mph to kph and the other way around ? I needed 2 eeprom dumps with just that parameter changed so I can see the off-set !!

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Yes ncs expert can change mph to km.
    2007 ZX-10r - sold

My Cars
    bmw e46 2000
    Yes ncs expert can change mph to km.
    I know I read that you change
    WEG_EINHEIT
    mls
    to
    WEG_EINHEIT
    km

and that's the problem. I just need 2 dumps from the e46 cluster eeprom. One with mls and another with km. Can you do that ?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.autodiag.pl/image/136/ike22.jpg

something like this should be enough for me, just need it for miles to km offsets

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    And that is basically what I'm seeing. I have to stop the speed signal for the gauge to update, like in your case, parking or stopping on a light. That's fine, i think lol I can mimic that. I just need to make it go down like on the real car when moving and I'm missing something.
    If you continue to feed a speed signal, it will update the fuel level over time but at a very slow rate (ie: at a rate reasonably relative to fuel usage).
    Chris

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    I just need 2 dumps from the e46 cluster eeprom. One with mls and another with km. Can you do that ?

5 .bin dumps sent by e-mail. Please send back some .bin's of the M cluster

Thaniel

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Hello All, had been busy with my daughters graduation and my birthday haven't had a chance to write back. But now an update on the A/C request signal. I actually incorporated the code into my program several days ago. Only took about 10 min to add the code and test it. I've now moved on to drawing up a wiring diagram for how to connect the Arduino up to the car. It's nothing too complicated but it'd be good to document it.

I'd like to confirm one bit of information.
    -->Can someone confirm if the AC request line (pin 17 in the schematic below) is Low (grounded) is the A/C off or is A/C on?

This schematic from : http://tech.240sxone.com/wp-content/...aro_LS1_AC.gif tends to make it look like +12V to signal would be on but I think someone said it was the other way. I don't have a way to check easily (my car does not have AC).

2002_Camaro_LS1_AC.gif

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    If someone has instruction how to get a dump or bin file with inpa, ncs expert let me know and I can get one soon.. I never done that before
    Clint
    2007 ZX-10r - sold

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Hello All, had been busy with my daughters graduation and my birthday haven't had a chance to write back. But now an update on the A/C request signal. I actually incorporated the code into my program several days ago. Only took about 10 min to add the code and test it. I've now moved on to drawing up a wiring diagram for how to connect the Arduino up to the car. It's nothing too complicated but it'd be good to document it.

I'd like to confirm one bit of information.
    -->Can someone confirm if the AC request line (pin 17 in the schematic below) is Low (grounded) is the A/C off or is A/C on?

This schematic from : http://tech.240sxone.com/wp-content/...aro_LS1_AC.gif tends to make it look like +12V to signal would be on but I think someone said it was the other way. I don't have a way to check easily (my car does not have AC).

2002_Camaro_LS1_AC.gif
    Hey Thaniel,
    The schematic shows as +12V. I "thought" it was -12V/ground but it has been about 10 years since I played with the circuit. I'll check it this afternoon in my GM manuals (I'll look at both the Camaro and Full size truck manuals since that would confirm how they work).

Chris
    Chris

My Cars
    99 540i6
    Truck is 12v+ AC request. Ground is switched to the compressor clutch relay from the PCM.
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    e38 740i e39 540 wagon
    Yes that's good info. Also check here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post26279400

- - - Updated - - -

Some actual Can Bus progress again :-)

Have to say the delay playing with the ibus was not wasted. Looking at how to send the LS1 ECU the AC request signal. Reading in the WDS it indicated that the AC button on the dash sends a signal via the ibus to the instrument cluster (IKE). The IKE then in turns sends it out over the can bus. As previously captured and mentioned in this thread.

If this is true then I should be able to send the ibus message to my IKE that is set up for testing and it should then update the Can Bus message. A great way to prove out that this really does happen and to test the Arduino program. With the help of a fellow BMW owner and programmer I was supplied with the IBUS message sent when the A/C switch is switched on and off. Here's where my ibus programing comes in handy. I pull up my ipod control program. Add a statment to it that when I press "button 3" on the radio it sends the AC on request and button 4 sends AC off request (for testing purposes only). Sure I could have used a bunch of other ways to initiate the AC message over the Ibus. But this was so easy.

I gave it a try and yes it indeed works.

Ibus message 5B 05 80 83 80 08 D5 Sends the AC request on. The underlined byte being the AC status bit.
    Ibus message 5B 05 80 83 00 00 5D Sends the AC request off. The status byte in each case being resent by the IKE over the canbus as byte B0 in ID 0x615.

To be exact the most significant Bit is the status request and the other bits are Load torque, for switching the compressor on, and requested auxiliary fan speed. But the byte is passed exactly. so for example if C5 is sent to the IKE as the AC status then C5 is sent in 0x615 B0.

Summary. The AC request signal is quite simply catching the right message on the can bus. Since the program is already listening to the bus it's no problem to add that code. So for those softies that need the creature features AC control can also be added without opening up the dash.

And looking at the wiring diagrams there is one other thing to mention. The BMW's AC pressure sensor readings are fed to the IHKA (HVAC control). Best I can tell these siganls will have to be there or pressing the AC will do nothing. But for those have looked the GM ECU also wants some pressure signals. If there is luck the 2 may send smilar signals. But odds are they don't. Likely having both sensors in the system would be a good idea.

Thaniel.

you need a variable output resisotr and a 5v line to pull up from, I have the GM ac pressure to voltage charts and yes the GM ecu needs this to determine airflow changes to keep the idle constant.

My Cars
    bmw e46 2000
    My WIP!
    M3 cluster controlled by a game. Couldn't have done without your work on the canbus

http://youtu.be/sHjEXv_bb5k
    + Reply to Thread
    Again, thank you

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Hello All. been working on the circuit layout for the "analog" solution. Attached is a PDF showing what I'm thinking about for wiring. Please have a look and provide feedback. I've tested all but the fuel consumption, simulating what I believe the LS1 PCM does, and it looks good. (I don't have a solenoid so can't simulate the fuel injection circuit) But I am open to input on improvements. Garrett is working on the physical circuit layout. I'll try to hook this to my LS1 when I'm home and see how it works.I'm currently starting to pack and move.

Due to the move: between June 24th and around July 4th my internet access will be sporatic if at all. So if I don't reply right away don't take offence

Quote Originally Posted by SeanCollins View Post
    you need a variable output resisotr and a 5v line to pull up from, I have the GM ac pressure to voltage charts and yes the GM ecu needs this to determine airflow changes to keep the idle constant.
    If by some miracle the 2 sensors provided simlar outputs then perhaps we coulo get one sensor to send both signals. THe both operate on 5V.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Thaniel; 06-21-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast