Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: E46 Can bus project.

My Cars
    '03 363iT
    Hate to bomb in and sorta side-track (Non-canbus project), but how to do you guys typically feed signals into the cluster for the oil pressure warning light and charge warning light (Since these aren't on the canbus)? (the 2 red indicators at the top?)

Is this a simple pressure switch on Black Connector / Pin 13, and a 12V signal to Black Connector Pin 2?

Thanks homies

My Cars
    BMW E46 320CI
    Most inputs that doesnt use canbus is short to ground, some are grounded when working and are disconnected from ground when there is an issue, and few are connected to +12v. Cant pinpoint whats what, but I think the oil pressure switch is short to ground when low pressure.

My Cars
    1991 325i e36 Sedan
    I have a weird question pertaining to the MK60 CAN bus stuff, I'm wanting to setup a Mk60 ABS+DSC into my E36, but I've read in this thread that for DSC to work, you require some information to be sent along from the IKE before the DSC will actually work.
    I know the Z3 3.0 were built with the MK60 system, would that mean I could swap in an IKE from a 3.0 Z3 into my E36? The wiring fits fine, and as far as I know, the IKE will take over the mileage from the other modules in the car.
    That pair with the Z3 IKE having a CAN bus and it acting as a gateway, I'd hazard a guess that I'd kill a bunch of birds with one stone by swapping IKE.

What am I missing in my thinking?

My Cars
    z3
    On the Z3 the IKE is built into the instrument cluster. You will need to swap the instrument cluster and re-wire a few things to make it work, but if your DME is compatible, it works. I know several people who have done this

Bigger question is - what DME? The IKE, DME and ABS/DSC all communicate with each other over the CANBUS network. Your profile indicates you have a 91 325i, which would be an M50, and the DME for that engine would not have any means to communicate with these other CANBUS modules. If you have retrofitted an S54, you will just also retrofit the Z3 CANBUS cluster, and MK60, wire it in and it will work. It will not be so easy to get to work on an M50 engine.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E92
    Is there MK60E5/MK60 ABS/DSC system technical specification pdf document available somewhere? Or are there decoded messages available somewhere already?

My Cars
    1991 325i e36 Sedan
    @Bimmerbreaker.
    Thanks for your input, I'll be running a custom built ECU based on an MS3Pro Module board and a custom designed motherboard that'll house hardware required for CAN spoofing of DME messages.
    Rewiring the Z3 cluster seems easy enough, from diagrams I've gone through (almost the entirety of the 91 E36 325i motor, cluster and a/c wiring and parts of the z3 cluster wiring) I feel confident I can get that to work, my biggest hurdle right now is my bullheadedness in not wanting to pay for a product that was developed from open source information found in this thread. I'll find a way to spoof the proper DME values over CAN, I'm just thinking about the IKE and steering angle sensor and other DSC parts at this stage.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 2003 325i
    Has anyone heard from user "e36 323ti" in a while? Trying to contact him about an MK60 CAN emulator!

My Cars
    2000 BMW E46 323CI
    Hey ya'll, I got a question. It's a bit off topic, but this seems to be the thread were I'm most likely to find someone who knows if it's even possible and (if possible) might have a clue as to how to do it.
    And sorry in advance if I'm explaining what I'm after in a bad/confusing way. English is not my first language (I'm from Sweden)

I'm looking into completely swapping out the gauge cluster in my stock E46 330Ci -00 to a digital display-type of cluster. Something similar to: https://customdigitalgauges.com/coll...etrofitcluster

My thought was something along the lines of; Having a Raspberry Pi (for example) receive all signals from the car (that would normally be sent to the original cluster) and to understand what the car is sending it, and then having the Pi represent those signals on screen in the form of a digital cluster.

Is something like this even possible on the E46 platform? I've spent maaaaaaaany hours on Google and such, but haven't seen someone even considering it it seems. I saw one post about doing something similar to this, but via OBDII and Bluetooth, kind of like how Torque can show live data. I've tried that, but it's super laggy. Might be a longshot but worth a try at least ^^

My Cars
    e46
    I seem to have figured out the fuel consumption, the number in the bus message should increase with a frequency of 288 Hz per 1 liter per hour. respectively 2880 Hz - 10 liters per hour

My Cars
    E46 330 ESS Touring
    Per hour?? Usually, fuel consumption message data means how many cc or mls of fuel were consumed in total (until counter overflows). So, instrument cluster knows how much fuel was consumed in total, knows distance in kms for the same period of time, divides them = fuel consumption in l/100km.
    E46 M54B30 MT Touring = ESS TwinScrew + SS Headers + S38 Flywheel&Clutch + MFactory LSD 3.07 + Koni Sport + Eibach Pro + ///M3-Look
    =============================
    imBMW.net = BMW + iBus + .NET MF + .NET PCL & UWP + Bluetooth + Arduino + STM32 + music + handsfree + DIY + DBus DS2 DME Logging + etc...

My Cars
    e85 - z4m - 2006
    Hi Guys,

due to the already done Backward Engineering here, I was able to "finish" my Arduino <-> S54 Datalogger. A big thank you for all your work. I want to present the Project, and maybe I can be of assistance for some who struggle with the arduino stuff. I'm from Germany, so the video is in German. the info translated below.

• PT-CAN Connection is present and clean
      • currently there is only listening, IMHO the PT-Can is "holy" and I will only listen
      • for a fast Programm, you need to use the MCP2515 hardware CAN Mask and Filters, to filter out the IDs you want, otherwise the arduino (especially the uno) will get to it's limit of processing power.
      • it seems that with this setup you can read the PT-Can from 1998 cars, to todays, my neighbors f10, 530d worked without changes in the program.
      • e9x m3s and e6x m5 /m6 should sent the fuel pressure over can also, which would be interesting.
      • i have added an analog Oil-pressure Sensor (M12x1.5) on the additional Port on the Oil-Filter housing
      • with this value, RPM and Oil-temp, you can check a failing Oil-pressure regulating valve, instantly.

• currently I use an 1,5" OLED 8-bit RGB display
      • i implemented 2 graph-desings t display values
        • normal status bars, which are ok for rpm or similar, but
          • not usable for cirical values (i.e. oil-pressure) because if 0, the bar will be gone.

• so I implented an "offset bar", similar to the display in INPA, the value will always start from center, and drop to the left if too low, so its good visible, and if the value is "OK" there is nearly no bar, so no distraction

• both graphs can be displayed with or without values

• you could connect up to 20 sensors... a bit much, but the following might be interesting:
      • Transmission-Temperature
      • Rear axle transmission temperature
      • Airbox temperatur?
      • Fuelpressure
        • i will TIG-weld an m12x1.5 socket to the front of the fuel line on the S54

• SD-Card datalogger (which was hard to do in realtime)
      • up to 4gb SD-Cards
      • lag-free writing (wich was realy hard, and only Works with transcend or Sandisk cards)
      • currently in 200ms steps a data-packed will be saved on the sd card, containing:
        • Time, RPM,Oiltemperature, OilPressure, accelerometer-status

To-Do:

• Build K-Line extension
      • send telegrams to IKE or NAV
      • i.e. if Oilpressure to low:
        • music off
        • activate gong
        • so the arduino is usable without display for purists, who don't want blingbling-oled-stuff.

• and you can do some funny stuff, ie. "if sport mode pressed" flip down NAV monitor (z4) and turn music off.

• build K-Can extension
      • same as above only for e60+
      • as far as I know one is able to print free text-messages on the navi screen, which would be nice.

• build LIN extension
      • the current new BMW performance steering wheel (with display), uses a LIN bus communication
      • if i can Backware engineer this, the Steering wheel would be usable in an e46 / e85 (and all other K-Line BMWs), presumed it fits mechanical.
      • the full support of the steering wheel buttons would also be present

• programm 7" touch screen
      • already arrived and very nice, from NEXTION. Has it's own build in processor for HMI, which means even less processing power of the arduino is used.
      • fits into sun-Blind or maybe even air-duct

My Cars
    2003 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyy86 View Post
    Hi Guys,

due to the already done Backward Engineering here, I was able to "finish" my Arduino <-> S54 Datalogger. A big thank you for all your work. I want to present the Project, and maybe I can be of assistance for some who struggle with the arduino stuff. I'm from Germany, so the video is in German. the info translated below.

• PT-CAN Connection is present and clean
      • currently there is only listening, IMHO the PT-Can is "holy" and I will only listen
      • for a fast Programm, you need to use the MCP2515 hardware CAN Mask and Filters, to filter out the IDs you want, otherwise the arduino (especially the uno) will get to it's limit of processing power.
      • it seems that with this setup you can read the PT-Can from 1998 cars, to todays, my neighbors f10, 530d worked without changes in the program.
      • e9x m3s and e6x m5 /m6 should sent the fuel pressure over can also, which would be interesting.
      • i have added an analog Oil-pressure Sensor (M12x1.5) on the additional Port on the Oil-Filter housing
      • with this value, RPM and Oil-temp, you can check a failing Oil-pressure regulating valve, instantly.

• currently I use an 1,5" OLED 8-bit RGB display
      • i implemented 2 graph-desings t display values
        • normal status bars, which are ok for rpm or similar, but
          • not usable for cirical values (i.e. oil-pressure) because if 0, the bar will be gone.

• so I implented an "offset bar", similar to the display in INPA, the value will always start from center, and drop to the left if too low, so its good visible, and if the value is "OK" there is nearly no bar, so no distraction

• both graphs can be displayed with or without values

• you could connect up to 20 sensors... a bit much, but the following might be interesting:
      • Transmission-Temperature
      • Rear axle transmission temperature
      • Airbox temperatur?
      • Fuelpressure
        • i will TIG-weld an m12x1.5 socket to the front of the fuel line on the S54

• SD-Card datalogger (which was hard to do in realtime)
      • up to 4gb SD-Cards
      • lag-free writing (wich was realy hard, and only Works with transcend or Sandisk cards)
      • currently in 200ms steps a data-packed will be saved on the sd card, containing:
        • Time, RPM,Oiltemperature, OilPressure, accelerometer-status

To-Do:

• Build K-Line extension
      • send telegrams to IKE or NAV
      • i.e. if Oilpressure to low:
        • music off
        • activate gong
        • so the arduino is usable without display for purists, who don't want blingbling-oled-stuff.

• and you can do some funny stuff, ie. "if sport mode pressed" flip down NAV monitor (z4) and turn music off.

• build K-Can extension
      • same as above only for e60+
      • as far as I know one is able to print free text-messages on the navi screen, which would be nice.

• build LIN extension
      • the current new BMW performance steering wheel (with display), uses a LIN bus communication
      • if i can Backware engineer this, the Steering wheel would be usable in an e46 / e85 (and all other K-Line BMWs), presumed it fits mechanical.
      • the full support of the steering wheel buttons would also be present

• programm 7" touch screen
      • already arrived and very nice, from NEXTION. Has it's own build in processor for HMI, which means even less processing power of the arduino is used.
      • fits into sun-Blind or maybe even air-duct
    Im extremely interested in your S54 logger project! Ive been trying to find something like this for a VERY long time for my E46 M3. Is there a parts list for the electronics needed?

Can it datalog other PIDS or sensors, like individual ignition angle and injection time? Im looking to build something that can replace TestO on a laptop, with something on a micro computer (arduino or rPi) that will stay in the car.

Also, can external gauges be plugged in and logged as well? I have a boost gauge and AFR gauge that Id want to capture as well.

Please let me know how I can replicate what youve been able to accomplish. This is HUGE!

85 318i- Sold

95 332is- Sold

95 Hellrot M3- Sold

1975 2002- Sold

2020 X3M Competition- Custom E85 Tune- Catless Downpipes- Custom DIY E85 Analyzer- Designed and printed Custom Air Scoops

2003 M3- Custom Rotrex Supercharger setup-AA Headers-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-BBS-CSL

My Cars
    e85 - z4m - 2006
    Hi,

thanks for the Feedback! Yes the device has an logging feature, it writes Data on an Micro-SD card (of which I fried 5pcs, until I got it right, writing on an SD in realtime without lag is not easy.)
    Currently only the following will be logged: Oilpressure, Oiltemperature, Watertempeature, RPM and Throttle. Logging is done 10x per second, in 100ms increments, I'm not sure if I can go faster, currently I'm hesitant because of my history of fried SD-Cards.
    The Oilpressure is from an additional sensor, I can plug in additional 17 sensors, so logging additional stuff is possible. For me I will add an Fuel Sensor, and maybe rear-transmission temperature. The goal was to be as flexible as possible. So measuring additional stuff like Boost-Pressure is no problem.
    Some of the Data comes from PT-CAN (in this case, RPM, Oil-Temp, Water-temp and Throttle). The normal MSS70 from the Z4M does not sent information like ignition angle over the PT-Can ( as far as I know). This might be doable over the D-Bus (Diagnosis Bus from OBD). So everything you can visualize in INPA, can also be sniffed, with an additional interface.

I will make the following videos in English, in the meantime:

roughly translated:
    The Oil-Warning light is triggered by the Pressure-Switch, which closes at 0.7Bar. So as long as you have 0.7Bar Oilpressure, the Light will not go on, which is bad. because the S54 does have an very specific required Oil-Pressure mapping, depending on the RPM. Which often fails because of the Piston getting stuck. So BMW Spec says: 4Bar minimum @3000-8000rpm. But you would not be able to see if its to low, because the light goes on only below 0.7Bar, which kinda sucks.
    So using the logged data i created an Oiltempearute-Oilpressure-RPM mapping. So my device is able to check frequently if the Oilpressure is exactly where it should be. I will then disconnect the normal pressure switch, and my arduino will trigger the oilpressureswitch if required.
    Additionaly I want to disable injection of fuel at cold-start, until the Oilpressure is at least 0.3Bar (or a different value). Because M3s and Z4ms tend to be not used daily, Oil might flow out from the Oilfilterhousing in the Pan, and the engine might idle at cold start without oil pressure, for up to 2-3seconds, which I don't like. (you can see this on the video later, the orange line represents the Oilpressure, which only goes up 2.x seconds after ignition.

you can see the mapping here in action. watch the lower limit of the oilPressure dynamically adjust according to RPM.

Last update is:

Additional LIN-Bus receiver is plugged in to K-Line so, I can dimm the Panel according to interior lightning, and also make the Bars amber (fitting to the rest).
    I replaced the OLED panel with an IPS panel (more resolution, and readable with sunlight, no flickering on video)

It is still a work in progress, currently its Arduino Mega and some individual shields which I modified. I will continue, and eventually will create something similar to the BlueBus-Module, or make it completely open source, undecided currently.

It's quite interesting what you can do with this stuff. I'm not sure how this behaves in the US, but in Germany, the car does not set Date & Time automatically. But on the K-Bus, the GPS broadcasts the current Position AND GPS time regulary. So with this information I'm currently working with a library to calculate the local time, including daylight savings time, and write them into the Boardmonitor.

My Cars
    1991 325i e36 Sedan
    There is a trove of information to be found on the MS43 and relevant CAN bus messaging, maybe someone here can use it.
    https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title...s_MS43_CAN_Bus

My Cars
    E46 330
    Figured I'd try this thread given the amount of knowledge on the buses:
    - does anyone know what module stores the cruise set speed on E46/E60? I am looking for a way to integrate a cruise speed LED into an E46 cluster. Not sure whether it works by just taking current speed and then adjusting by 1 for each signal from the wheel buttons/stalk, or whether KOMBI gets the info from DDE over K-CAN.
    If it's the former, maybe it's possible to just get speed signal A from the E46 IKE, light the LED (hardware side I am not sure about), and then adjust based on wheel button signals on the CAN bus?

- I've seen MadToha's implementation of E65 comfort seat control in an E53 and wondered if a "simpler" version of this could be done on the existing E46 seat memory modules. Ie ignition on->move seat to position 1, also tighten bolster support (not sure if this is stored with seat memory); ignition off-> relax bolsters, move seat back (eg set this as position 3)?

- assume there is no way to get F/PT-CAN modules (ACC etc) to communicate/work in a K-CAN car, even if messages could be translated, due to wiring hardware limitations? Short of transplanting PT-CAN wiring and emulating ECUs in the chain, which seems undoable.

Apologies for the stupid questions, not something I'd be doing myself (if I can find someone willing to do it), wanted to get a feel for feasibility

My Cars
    E46 330 ESS Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by 4004 View Post
    - I've seen MadToha's implementation of E65 comfort seat control in an E53 and wondered if a "simpler" version of this could be done on the existing E46 seat memory modules. Ie ignition on->move seat to position 1, also tighten bolster support (not sure if this is stored with seat memory); ignition off-> relax bolsters, move seat back (eg set this as position 3)?
    e46 seat memory modules can't control e65 seats. at least, e65 seats have much more motors. furthermore, in e46/53/etc side support is just a pneumatic bag and can't be controlled using memory functions. e65 side support is mechanical, so its position can be measured.

ah, misread your question. now got it. yes, you can move seat using respective command that can be sniffed from inpa/tool32. but you can't control side support
    Last edited by MadToha; 10-15-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    E46 M54B30 MT Touring = ESS TwinScrew + SS Headers + S38 Flywheel&Clutch + MFactory LSD 3.07 + Koni Sport + Eibach Pro + ///M3-Look
    =============================
    imBMW.net = BMW + iBus + .NET MF + .NET PCL & UWP + Bluetooth + Arduino + STM32 + music + handsfree + DIY + DBus DS2 DME Logging + etc...

My Cars
    E46 330
    Ah right, thanks. Retrofitting mechanical side support into E46 sport seats is unlikely to be feasible, so I'll leave that idea

My Cars
    BMW Z4 E85
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    Hey,
    finally found that error. I was able to reproduce the problem at the table and found a faulty pointer in my receive funktion. This caused an overwrite of the memmory for the sendet can message, and for any case the controller deceidet to send the message with just the lenth of the received message.

That means, i made it. I am now able to simulate all known signals from the DME. All error lamps in the kombi tuned off.

Next step is that I will test my one time success more often and improve the code. Then I can start the mechanical swap of the engine.

Best regards
    Andreas
    Hi Andreas,
    I know its old thread... just quick question ,have you finished your project? Thanks

My Cars
    F11
    Great work.
    Can you please explain the speed message?
    ID: 1A6 length 8

My Cars
    E92
    Quote Originally Posted by alsamaraee View Post
    Great work.
    Can you please explain the speed message?
    ID: 1A6 length 8

I am interested in this speed message also. I think its Distance message, but note sure how to convert it to distance.

My Cars
    2008 335i E90 6MT rwd
    Time to dig up an old thread... hi all, I’m currently trying to get an arduino canbus sniffer set up for my E90. Currently I’m trying to use an uno with longan’s v1.3 MCP 2515 board. Is it confirmed that we cannot get K-can through the obd2 port? I’ve been able to pull a few PIDS from the obd2 port through this setup, coolant temp, rpm, and intake air temp. I still have yet to be able to read PT-can. Any advice is appreciated.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by E90N54 View Post
    Time to dig up an old thread... hi all, I’m currently trying to get an arduino canbus sniffer set up for my E90. Currently I’m trying to use an uno with longan’s v1.3 MCP 2515 board. Is it confirmed that we cannot get K-can through the obd2 port? I’ve been able to pull a few PIDS from the obd2 port through this setup, coolant temp, rpm, and intake air temp. I still have yet to be able to read PT-can. Any advice is appreciated.
    For E90 information you would have better luck in the E90 thread here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...(E60-E65-E87-)

And yes K-CAN isn't wired to OBDII. In older E90's like mine (2006) PT can is also not wired to the OBDII. Best to check a wiring diagram for your car or pull the connector and visually check what wires are there.

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Shoot me a PM or e-mail with your swap details (Which LS version) and I can try and point you in the right direction.
    Hey I'm new to the forums but am doing an 04 ls swap as well. I would like to talk to you about purchasing an arduino off of you. Thanks

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 Coupe
    Trying to get near real-time (more like faster than 1.1 Hz available on the OBD2 port) RPM data feed into track apps like Track Addict. Few questions on how I could get this accomplished:
    1. If I have something like an HP Tuners MPVI3 + PROLink cable hooked to the CAN bus behind the instrument cluster, would I be able to get fast readings in the app? In other words, is the behind the cluster CAN bus capable of providing the fast data feed out of the box, or would it need some translation?
    2. Would I need a different place to get the data?

My Cars
    F10 F07 F30
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyy86 View Post
    Hi,

thanks for the Feedback! Yes the device has an logging feature, it writes Data on an Micro-SD card (of which I fried 5pcs, until I got it right, writing on an SD in realtime without lag is not easy.)
    Currently only the following will be logged: Oilpressure, Oiltemperature, Watertempeature, RPM and Throttle. Logging is done 10x per second, in 100ms increments, I'm not sure if I can go faster, currently I'm hesitant because of my history of fried SD-Cards.
    The Oilpressure is from an additional sensor, I can plug in additional 17 sensors, so logging additional stuff is possible. For me I will add an Fuel Sensor, and maybe rear-transmission temperature. The goal was to be as flexible as possible. So measuring additional stuff like Boost-Pressure is no problem.
    Some of the Data comes from PT-CAN (in this case, RPM, Oil-Temp, Water-temp and Throttle). The normal MSS70 from the Z4M does not sent information like ignition angle over the PT-Can ( as far as I know). This might be doable over the D-Bus (Diagnosis Bus from OBD). So everything you can visualize in INPA, can also be sniffed, with an additional interface.

I will make the following videos in English, in the meantime:

roughly translated:
    The Oil-Warning light is triggered by the Pressure-Switch, which closes at 0.7Bar. So as long as you have 0.7Bar Oilpressure, the Light will not go on, which is bad. because the S54 does have an very specific required Oil-Pressure mapping, depending on the RPM. Which often fails because of the Piston getting stuck. So BMW Spec says: 4Bar minimum @3000-8000rpm. But you would not be able to see if its to low, because the light goes on only below 0.7Bar, which kinda sucks.
    So using the logged data i created an Oiltempearute-Oilpressure-RPM mapping. So my device is able to check frequently if the Oilpressure is exactly where it should be. I will then disconnect the normal pressure switch, and my arduino will trigger the oilpressureswitch if required.
    Additionaly I want to disable injection of fuel at cold-start, until the Oilpressure is at least 0.3Bar (or a different value). Because M3s and Z4ms tend to be not used daily, Oil might flow out from the Oilfilterhousing in the Pan, and the engine might idle at cold start without oil pressure, for up to 2-3seconds, which I don't like. (you can see this on the video later, the orange line represents the Oilpressure, which only goes up 2.x seconds after ignition.

you can see the mapping here in action. watch the lower limit of the oilPressure dynamically adjust according to RPM.

Last update is:

Additional LIN-Bus receiver is plugged in to K-Line so, I can dimm the Panel according to interior lightning, and also make the Bars amber (fitting to the rest).
    I replaced the OLED panel with an IPS panel (more resolution, and readable with sunlight, no flickering on video)

It is still a work in progress, currently its Arduino Mega and some individual shields which I modified. I will continue, and eventually will create something similar to the BlueBus-Module, or make it completely open source, undecided currently.

It's quite interesting what you can do with this stuff. I'm not sure how this behaves in the US, but in Germany, the car does not set Date & Time automatically. But on the K-Bus, the GPS broadcasts the current Position AND GPS time regulary. So with this information I'm currently working with a library to calculate the local time, including daylight savings time, and write them into the Boardmonitor.
    Any chance we could connect. i know this is an old thread but I am interested in the ARBIDs and message info you got. I am working on a bench and am able to read all the CAN frames and have programmed to iDrive controller to work but struggling on finding info about DME data. I am working with a F1x chassis. Fingers crossed this reaches you.

Does the DME only broadcast when the car is running? I had it with just ignition on and couldnt see 0A5
    Last edited by beng2k; 01-14-2023 at 01:29 PM.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940 LastLast