Thread: hey guys please help (wiring diagram)

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed

Unhappy hey guys please help (wiring diagram)

hey guys I changed the 2 coolant tubes under the intake manifold on a 99 528i.
    pipes 8 and 5 here http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...38&hg=11&fg=35

not a bad job at all took me a couple hours. but i completely forgot to mark all the electric connections. I know, I know stupid of me. now I have no idea where they go. please help.

i know there is wiring diagrams out there like this one: http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e39/

but I have no idea how to even read them. I was wondering if some one had a car with an air filter box taken apart that could take a look and help me out

here is the pictures

I just need help with the wires coming out of the side I think its 6 wires

My Cars
    With wheels
    There should not be wires hanging, but only plugs. Were those wires already exposed or did you cut them off yourself?
    BMW OSS Master - BMW Coding, flashing, and NBT/CIC retrofits for breakfast.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWPlanetDude View Post
    There should not be wires hanging, but only plugs. Were those wires already exposed or did you cut them off yourself?

Actually, to me it doesn't look like anything was cut. It just looks like the wire loom that covers the blue and green wires was pulled out of the junction box. The loom can probably be pushed back into the opening.

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Random77 View Post
    Actually, to me it doesn't look like anything was cut. It just looks like the wire loom that covers the blue and green wires was pulled out of the junction box. The loom can probably be pushed back into the opening.
    Yea it just pushes back on

Any one have any idea

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    What plug or plugs are the problem? Is it the other end of that green/blue wire set? And this is a M52, correct?

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    What plug or plugs are the problem? Is it the other end of that green/blue wire set? And this is a M52, correct?

its that entire bunch toghether with the blue and green wires. I have no idea where any of them go.

and yes m52 vanos

My Cars
    98 m3, 97 528i
    In that location, maybe intake air temp sensor, more likely fuel evap valve or oil filter housing plug. The color codes are bs. Whats not plugged in already? Most have different plugs meaning male or female or 3 wire or 2 wire. They also leave the loom close to where they go. I unplugged every single one while doing the head gasket and figured it out months later by just looking at it for a minute. Your 99 may be different then my 97 tho.

I had the same duct tape job on the ccv line, dont know why bmw used such brittle/thin plastic for that piece.

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    In that location, maybe intake air temp sensor, more likely fuel evap valve or oil filter housing plug. The color codes are bs. Whats not plugged in already? Most have different plugs meaning male or female or 3 wire or 2 wire. They also leave the loom close to where they go. I unplugged every single one while doing the head gasket and figured it out months later by just looking at it for a minute. Your 99 may be different then my 97 tho.

I had the same duct tape job on the ccv line, dont know why bmw used such brittle/thin plastic for that piece.
    yea 97-98 are not the same looked at a 98 528 and wires looked nothing alike

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Oh, I see now the car is a 99. That's a M52tu. Very different. You're just going to have to lay it all out and start best-guessing.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA
    I'm not very familiar with the I6 since the 2 BMWs I've owned both had V8s. However, in my experience, most of the connectors are different enough that you can not plug them into the wrong socket. Also, on vehicles of this age, the wires have usually taken a set. They will usually "remember" where they used to go. I used this to my advantage when I did the valley pan gasket on my M62tu. I found that if I had to bend the wire against its natural set, it was likely not routed correctly.

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Random77 View Post
    I'm not very familiar with the I6 since the 2 BMWs I've owned both had V8s. However, in my experience, most of the connectors are different enough that you can not plug them into the wrong socket. Also, on vehicles of this age, the wires have usually taken a set. They will usually "remember" where they used to go. I used this to my advantage when I did the valley pan gasket on my M62tu. I found that if I had to bend the wire against its natural set, it was likely not routed correctly.

on this car most of those connectors will plug in any where.

I know wires that old mostly form a shape, but all the sensors where the wires go are very close to each other so its really hard.

My Cars
    1998 540i 6 speed
    anyone out there

My Cars
    01' 540/6
    .Try penskeparts.com, the diagrams are a little better than realoem. Also search craigslist in your area for parts cars.

You should search e39 and try BMW 528 in the search box, or even go look at similar cars for sale and pretend your giving the engine bay a good look over before you buy.