Thread: DIY: How to get rid of the nasty moldy A/C smell

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328i

DIY: How to get rid of the nasty moldy A/C smell

Ok well i've decided to make a well pictured DIY for this because i know many people suffer this problem, unfortunatly. This is my second DIY, i guess first since my other got deleted by mods!!!! so if i missed some info just let me know.

"The job" is basically spraying ALOT of pine-sol where the FSU is located.

You will need the following:

-Pine-Sol *Plenty of it* (get a smell you like, because your gonna be smelling it for a while)

-A sprayer. it was only like 10$ Below is the one i got.

-Towel

Tools:

-Screwdriver
    -T15

And here you go.

Step 1: Remove Glovebox.

Step 2: Remove this small tray simply by pulling on it.

Step 3: Remove this plastic duct again just some pressure and by pulling on it

Step 4: Removing this module:

Its got 2 screws holding it in place, as well as some cable which i didnt know how to remove. Although once you removed the 2 screws you can push it out of the way.

You need your t15 here. Screw locations:

One on top

One on the bottom

Step 5: Now that you can push that module aside you have access to your fsu. Just unplug and there are 2 more screws

And voila'

Step 6: Time to start spraying your stuff inside the hole. Put a towel under so you dont make a mess!

The sprayer itself (this may not apply to you depending on what sprayer you have) may have a tip too small which will cause bubbles which will cause this:

Bubbles:

I forgot a towel, and because the sprayer was shooting bubbles basically, it got all over my carpet. Anyways by removing the tip on the sprayer you get this:

I used that to my advantage for a while. Double sided cleaning

Then finally i just made the tip of the sprayer wider, by using a nail.

Keep in mind that all the pine-sol should be coming out of the drain under the car, and it will almost instantly. Make sure it is, otherwise STOP because you my friend have a clogged drain, and the pine-sol will go all over your floors.

Anyways bubbles kept coming eventually, but at a much slower rate. so to let them settle. i started shooting some pine-sol under the hood behind the cabin filter located here:

Remove top by turning the plastic screws holding it in place by 90 degrees

Remove the cabin filter and there you go

Start shooting.

Step 7: Finally once your down with everything and finished all the pine-sol, time to put fsu into place, as well as the module and plastic vent. Then make sure your a/c is working. you might have missed a cable if you did not.

Step 8: Run the a/c in the mode in which you get the smell, on max power. (for example i get the smell when i run the cold a/c so i ran it on that) for a good 5-10 minutes.

Step 9: Run the a/c as hot as possible, on max. for another 5-10 minutes.

It's got a nice smell to it p.s check out my new piano black trim, i'll get some pics on my build thread soon.

Step 10: Put whatever else you have back on. And pat yourself on the back. Your done. Smell should be gone, at least for a while.
    Last edited by HolaSenor; 08-23-2012 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325i Silbergrau 5sp
    That's awesome! Didn't know you could get in there through the FSU (FST?) housing.

"you vill haf goose pimples" Meyle HD CABS, sock mod, and new hoses, pulleys, belts and water pump.
    Weisslicht LED AEs from JleviSW that came in a Khoalty-looking box.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    One way to prevent this is to turn AC off for at least a minute, prior to turning car off....in addition to scheduled filter maintenance. Great info OP.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2001 bmw 330ci
    turn the a/c off a couple of minutes prior to shutting off car. got it.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    I do commercial HVAC, and I'm no expert on automotive A/C systems. I would think using an actual self rinsing evap coil cleaner would work much better. That would kill the biological growth on the coil which is causing the smell. I plan on looking at mine tomorrow now that I know how to access it easily. I would also recommend changing your cabin filter with a new active carbon filter. This has already made a noticeable difference for mine.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Looks like you took it a few steps further than I did. I did the fast method of spraying lysol through the hvac fan behind the cabin air filter housing. In theory it will also pull the lysol antibacterial mist through the ac evaporator vs. spraying directly through it.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4vgMyzpVw

My Cars
    several
    Just got a 323Ci and it is stinky. Not sure if it is the air conditioning or if the inside of the car got wet without being properly dried. I know the air conditioning is not blowing cold and needs to be serviced before the summer. Thank you for this thread either way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jeremy
    2000 323Ci Titansilber Metallic cabriolet