Thread: EPS Electric Power steering Problem Help!

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4

EPS Electric Power steering Problem Help!

Hello,
    I am in desperate need of help in an EPS problem with my z4 2003 2.5
    i recently bought the car and it was working great ,
    but suddenly i came across a really devastating problem and till this day i am unable to find a solution ..
    when i turn my steering wheel to its maximum right it get locked up and and cant move it back to the left its gets stiffed up and the EPS light comes on yellow , but after i turn of the engine and turn it back on its comes back to normal , now it does not do the same when i steer it to its maximum left !
    Please help me find a solution

thanks !!

My Cars
    11 328xi, 330Cic, 10 Tig
    Avoid full lock.
    '11 328i X-Drive Space Gray/Saddle - Step, Premium, M Sport
    '06 330 Cic 6MT, ZHP Alcantara

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0SI w/sport
    Since it hasn't been said yet, I'll go ahead and say the obvious ....

THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS PROBLEM.

TAKE IT TO THE SHOP IMMEDIATELY.

I think that was pretty clear...

Ang

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4

true !

True !
    but the thing is i took to 4 shops and no one knows whats the problem or most just want to rob me..
    i live in lebanon and i could say that the mechanics are thefts here
    im just trying to find out whats the replacement so i could buy it online or something ..
    i am just wondering if anyone had or is having the same problem ..

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Sounds like whatever sensor the EPS uses to measure steering wheel torque/movement it getting jammed at full right (perhaps it's out of spec) and as a result the motor keeps trying to turn more.

Option (not a "fix"):
    You could always disable to EPS by disconnecting the power to the motor (un-plug it). I did this on my 2003 Z4 because I didn't like the feel of the EPS and have never regretted it. These cars are so light on the front end that even parallel parking is relatively effortless in "full manual".
    Last edited by V8Z4; 08-26-2012 at 02:16 AM.
    Chris

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    But if i cancel the EPS wont it be too stiff ? i mean when its gets turned off and the yellow light comes on i could hardly move the steering wheel its very tough to park ,

UPDATE: Now the yellow light is coming on more often,without even steering it to the maximum right , its almost on every 30secs

conclusion : so it's a sensor issue ? it's not a whole mechanism ? people have been telling me i have to change the whole EPS mechanism.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    I drive mine without EPS.....
    Chris

My Cars
    Many
    There is no way to know if its a sensor or a motor/worm gear issue. A good diagnostic machine run by a very competent operator MIGHT be able to tell. BMW will replace the entire EPS steering assembly if there is an issue.

IF, IF, it is just a sensor, you can do what V8Z4 does and pull the fuse and see how you like it.

IF, IF, it is a mechanical issue, then that is dangerous..

Some enterprising individuals have pulled the steering assembly to do some troubleshooting and have had some success on 'sticky steering' issue.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    I can't image in it a "mechanical issue" since powering down the system removes the issue. If it were mechanically locked up, it would remain mechanically locked up. I would say it has to be a sensor issue.
    Chris

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Z4 View Post
    Sounds like whatever sensor the EPS uses to measure steering wheel torque/movement it getting jammed at full right (perhaps it's out of spec) and as a result the motor keeps trying to turn more.

Option (not a "fix"):
    You could always disable to EPS by disconnecting the power to the motor (un-plug it). I did this on my 2003 Z4 because I didn't like the feel of the EPS and have never regretted it. These cars are so light on the front end that even parallel parking is relatively effortless in "full manual".
    Does this eliminate the sticky steering issue? If so, just what do I disconnect under the dash to do this? Thank You

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromtech View Post
    Does this eliminate the sticky steering issue? If so, just what do I disconnect under the dash to do this? Thank You
    I'd expect it to. With the motor disconnected, you will have full manual steering and nothing to jam over. At a minimum you will know once and for all if it is an electrical (sensor) issue or mechanical.

Pull the knee panel to access the lower section of the steering shaft. Get on your back and look up under the dash. You will see a big motor sticking off to the side of the steering column. There is a BIG plug with 2 BIG wires going into the motor. This is the power and ground feed for the motor. Pulling these will kill the power to the motor without disconnecting any signals.
    Chris

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0 6 speed
    Thanks for the information.
    Now that the weather has cooled in the Pacific North West the car drives like a dream again...so no point doing the test until it heats up again. I'll save your information for the next heat wave that likely won't come until next year.

When my car is switched off the steering wheel is almost impossible to turn...does it turn easier when the EPS wires are disconnected?

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromtech View Post
    Thanks for the information.
    Now that the weather has cooled in the Pacific North West the car drives like a dream again...so no point doing the test until it heats up again. I'll save your information for the next heat wave that likely won't come until next year.

When my car is switched off the steering wheel is almost impossible to turn...does it turn easier when the EPS wires are disconnected?

It's still stiff, but manageable (to me).
    Chris

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0SI w/sport
    I'm sorry .. I tried to resist responding to this as long as I could .. but ...

" .. if this continues more than 4 hours, you need to see an BMW mechanic immediately as this can cause permanent damage to the linkage"

and of course the obvious ...

" ... THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"

Ang

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by aguarino View Post

I'm sorry .. I tried to resist responding to this as long as I could .. but ...

" .. if this continues more than 4 hours, you need to see an BMW mechanic immediately as this can cause permanent damage to the linkage"

and of course the obvious ...

" ... THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"

Ang
    "I'd walk through that hospital with my robe on BACKWARDS just greeting people! I'd be like 'Hello ma'am, do you need a place to hang that jacket?"
    Chris

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4

update

hello guys ,
    i wanted to update on my situation ,

we figured out that my right side wheel axes was bent and we thought that would fix the problem so we got it straightened up..
    but weirdly enough now the EPS is always on and there is no power steering whatsoever..

its really frustrating since no one here is being able to fix this or tell me from what EXACTLY the problem is..
    most of the mechanics told me it was from the motor of the EPS .. and if i wanted to replace that i need to replace another chassis with it (something to do with codes)
    and then again i could never know if that would fix it ..or maybe it could be from something really simple like electrical shortage and i would go ahead and spend my money for nothing..

My Cars
    2003 Z4 Roadster
    Crazy...
    Chris

My Cars
    Bmw z4/ 2003. 1985 Chevy

Same problem

[QUOTE=manolebano;24953170]Hello,
    but suddenly i came across a really devastating problem and till this day i am unable to find a solution ..
    when i turn my steering wheel to its maximum right it get locked up and and cant move it back to the left its gets stiffed up and the EPS light comes on yellow , but after i turn of the engine and turn it back on its comes back to normal , now it does not do the same when i steer it to its maximum left !

thanks !!

My 2003 z has the same problem. Had a quote for £3000.00 to replace the ESP. The car is now basically scrap sat outside the house.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I drive mine without EPS.....
    This is on 1st gen Z4... does this apply to 2nd gen? or was there evolution across the 3 generations?

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    This thread is 5 years old....
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    Z4 E85
    [QUOTE=Bunchyno2;29906097]
    Quote Originally Posted by manolebano View Post
    Hello,

thanks !!

My 2003 z has the same problem. Had a quote for £3000.00 to replace the ESP. The car is now basically scrap sat outside the house.
    Sadly it is the whole EPS. There is a torque sensor build in the column that communicates with the EPS motor using a 4 wire band cable (FFC). This wire is spiraled multiple times inside so the electronic PCB placed on the motor maintains communication with the torque sensor in the middle even if you are turning. It is very similar to airbag spirals that you will see failing on Renault Megane.
    Why it happens more often turning right is because this cable is pulled and disconnects. When turning left it is pushed and connection is maintained.
    Turning left is actually what kills it because the cable bends when pushed and in long time it will snap.
    Parking without fast steering move helps but if it already started to light on it will only get worse.

You can see how it looks like here.
    https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic...0150d&start=15
    If you are lucky it is on the outside part where the connector is as in the link but most times it brakes on the inside (near the axis where the sensor is) and you cannot reach to repair.

Unfortunately the column and motor are not sold separately, most of the cost being the motor and PCB, and you have to remove the motor to change the steering column anyways. This seems a big puzzle, possibly BMW makes more money doing this.
    Last edited by abexodus; 09-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.