Thread: 2008 528i Eccentric Shaft Sensor failure

My Cars
    2008 528i

2008 528i Eccentric Shaft Sensor failure

2008 528i
    35k miles

Car was idling rough and then one day would not start. Car wasn't completely dead but kept grinding and never turned over. I put a charger on the car since I've continually had battery issues (same old comment....don't drive it enough, etc). Car started after about 10-20 seconds of cranking. For the next few days it started ok after a long crank. BMW has had car for almost a week now and today I was told the eccentric shaft sensor needs to be replaced. I was told "these things just sometimes happen as the car ages". Given the age and low mileage (I bought new) I'm surprised this is happening. Car was just serviced and new battery installed 3 weeks prior to this incidence. Timing seems suspicious. Dealer has quoted me $1,160. I'm going forward with the repair. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745li
    I'm not surprised mine is in the shop monthly for a new issue, and the months it's' not in for repairs it's getting a service. Seems like one thing is repaired and the next thing is out and the timing is weird as they just had it. Guess it's a BMW thing.

My Cars
    2010 535i xdrive Msprt
    $1600 for a sensor seems pretty steep, but I have not looked at where it is located on your motor. Sounds like they have to tear it down a ways to get to it or it is an extremely expensive sensor!

At 35k miles and 2008 would it not be covers under warranty?

I just looked at a DIY on e90 post where a guy did it for his N52 motor and it appears that the sensor sits und the valve cover. I dont know how mechanical you are, but guessing the sensor is probably under $400 I would try to tackle this myself if faced with a $1600 estimate. Either that or I would take it to an independent shop for a second opinion.
    With all of the electronics on the engine, it makes it a PIA to remove the valve cover, but as far as the repair goes, it looks like your just removing the valve cover, unbolting the sensor, replacing it and buttoning it back up.
    Good luck
    Last edited by TheDuke; 08-28-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost