Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum and with a problem I need help with - '94 740i Transmission Problem

My Cars
    `89 BMW 325i, `89 BMW 535i, `94 BMW 740i

Unhappy New to the forum and with a problem I need help with - '94 740i Transmission Problem

Hi! I was searching through the internet trying to find a solution to my problem and I found this wonderful forum of bimmer fans and I thought I have to join this one! !

I'm a proud owner of three BMWs: '89 325i, '89 535i and '94 740i :

I'm very much into mechanics and with that into cars of course. I've been fixing cars with my father who's specialized in european cars due to us living in Europe for most of our life.

I bought my 325i (Automatic Trans.) about a year ago when I moved to the U.S. for $2500 and the car was in pretty good condition with aprox. 200,000 miles. Now the car has 225,000 miles and we rebuilt the engine 6000 miles ago. The car is in good condition and it runs Excellent. Until now the car cost me $6000 which yeah it is a lot but I am very proud of the car and if I sold it today I`d put warranty on it for 80,000 miles with ease. The car is in better condition then most of the new cars you see on the streets these days!

In December last year I bought a 535i (Manual Trans.) with 223,000 miles and the car had problems with the engine so obviously it needed work.
    We changed the head gasket, a valve, fan clutch, the fan, 4 shocks, 4 discs, breaks etc.
    Again we put a lot of money and work into the car but in the end the car works perfect with Great power :

Now last but not least I got a 740i (Automatic Trans.). The car has 97,000 miles and is otherwise in very good condition but now the transmission failed on it.

A few days after I bought the car this whole thing happened. I drove up to my house and all gears were operating except Reverse and I found that out while trying to park the car. I let it sit on the parking lot and later on in a few days I tried to drive it again and when I started it a TRANS PROG sign showed on the control panel and the car did not function in none of the gears. Now the car is like that. The transmission does not function. It holds Park and you can shift the stick to any position without a problem and the control panel recognizes the shifting by showing for example E 3 and so on but the transmission does not grab. It does not shift so the car won't move.
    When you move the stick the transmission is absolutely dead and is not making any sound at all while you can hear a very slight sound in the engine while you move the stick. It sounds like it wants to work. Not like it wants to move but just a slight noise like it wants to work.

When TRANS PROG shows up on the control panel, do you think what happened is that the computer lost its track basically and needs to be fixed and infact is a computer or an electronical problem?

Like I mentioned earlier the car is a '94 BMW 740i with 97,000 miles so considering the low mileage and how sound the car looks inside and out and under the hood and coming from a first owner who took care of the car I am really surprised at this problem.

In the cars owner manual it says that if the Trans Prog sign shows up on the control panel it means that the Transmission Control Module failed but I`m wondering if it might be something else?

I never worked on an automatic transmission before due to the fact that in Europe basicaly all the cars are manual and an automatic is a rare thing.

I know that you guys here are BMW enthusiasts so I figured you could help me out. BimmerFan to BimmerFan, Mechanic to Mechanic

At the moment the car is waiting on some diagnostic test at BMW dealership but I can't sleep trying to find out what I'm going to do or what the problem could be so Please help out!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li
    :

buy a new tranny

My Cars
    That's the easiest thing to do! I bought the car i can buy that too but you know with a car like that it's a challenge finding the bug and getting rid of it

My Cars
    2000 740i 2008 335i
    " if the Trans Prog sign shows up on the control panel it means that the Transmission Control Module failed"

Probably that is what happened use a search for trans program and see what you get.
    good luck
    Kirt Koeller resident tranny expert click here.
    Last edited by ibew595; 03-15-2004 at 01:54 AM.
    Woot,woot, woot!
    2008 Maserati Quattroporte Euro delivery 2000 Yugo GTV with 4.4L twin turbo twin intercooled turbine engine. 2005 Huffy picked up in Hawaii. Boeing 777 custom for visiting Lord Wong. Boeing 767 custom for visiting Yugo factory for parts. 1976 BMW 3.0 CSL driven by Hans Stuck. I own the Golden gate bridge district, therefore I own the bridge.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Cool

We probably shouldn't ask, but did you do any pre-purchase detective work?

For example, did you source any previous owner books/records? Do you still have access to the previous owner? Unless really abused, the tranny should be good for more than 97K miles.

As ibew595 mentioned, try to get in touch with Kirt K. - he is the tranny guru around here.

Also, you DO know about the Nikasil issue with these cars, right...?
    Last edited by Reed Hunt; 03-16-2004 at 12:58 PM.

My Cars
    E32 1993 740i
    what they said...i think they covered all the bases i would have mentioned

but i also just wanted to add that you have have quite the impressive garage there :

My Cars
    Multiple vintage BMW's...
    Talking with Kirt is probably the best advice you have received above. He is the premier ZF expert. Give him a call or send him an email and he will be able to diagnose your problem. If you need to buy or recondition any parts, be sure to give him this business. ...although he loves to help out, he also does this for a living...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il, 2000 Jeep TJ, 2002 Jeep WJ HO
    We had this exact problem. I believe the culprit was called the thrust ball or bearing? Either way... it's a known issue with this tranny. There was a "kit" that you could buy for around $150 to do the fix. Our mechanic purchased this "kit" and had it done in a couple of hours...tranny ran good as new.

Sorry, I don't know where this kit was purchased from. I am 100% positive this is your problem. I think this Kurt fellow fixes many of these trannies for the same exact reason.

HTH, Good luck.

My Cars
    If it's the same tranny as a 95 (5HP30), then the "known issue" referred to by Chaw is probably the valve body. There is a ball inside the valve body that gets worn down. Simple fix and you get to change your tranny fluid & filter at the same time

My Cars
    Originally posted by FlyingHigh
    There is a ball inside the valve body that gets worn down.
    Check Ball! I believe that's what it's called :

Make sure you also put the correct tranny fluid back in as well. My old '93 740 required special fluid only available at the dealership (at least, that's what I wast told). It was quite expensive too Liquid gold - really.

HTH, Good luck.

My Cars
    Hmmm - there was a post here or on BB about somebody who owns a shop and their experience using a much less expensive tranny fluid. Seems to me it was from Audi - but it was the same stuff? Anyway, the expense of the OEM fluid is worth a search and a potential cheaper alternative.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Cool

Originally posted by FlyingHigh
    Hmmm - there was a post here or on BB about somebody who owns a shop and their experience using a much less expensive tranny fluid. Seems to me it was from Audi - but it was the same stuff? Anyway, the expense of the OEM fluid is worth a search and a potential cheaper alternative.
    Well now, here we go. (I finally started printing some of the stuff I thought I might use...).

Less expensive fluid to use includes ESSO ATF LT 71141 (Audi part no. G 052161A1).

Even less expensive fluid includes Volkswagen fluid (part no. G 052162A2).

My hard copy save includes a reply from Kirt K. confirming that these are in fact the same fluid types and that they are compatible in the E38 tranny.

So, the question is - "is the E32 tranny the same 5HP30 tranny as that used in the 1995 E38"?

If so, go with the VW fluid for about $15 per liter.

My Cars
    2007 750Li Sport/ 2008 Audi Q7 S-line
    I had a '93 740i prior to my E38 and had experienced the trans program message. In my case, the message would pop up while driving and the transmission would lock into 3rd gear. A restart would fix it temporarily. In my case, it turned out to be a Mass Airflow Sensor, known as MAF. I bought it myself and installed it myself. Took about 10 minutes.

You situation sounds more serious, I am just trying to point out that a Trans Program is not always directly related to the transmission.

Good luck.
    2007 750Li Barbera Red on Creme|Sport Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Premium Sound|Ipod Adapter|SAT/HD|Cold Weather Package|Luxury Seats

My Cars
    hey guys, thanks for all your replies!

But in the meanwhile, I had taken the car to the local BMW dealer and they found some iron pieces inside the tranny, broken off something. They suggested a whole new tranny installed, and they are quite expensive. Does anybody know a good place to call and inquire about a used tranny?
    Either way, I would like to find out what was the piece that broke, anybody has an idea what could it be? Chaw is mentioning Check Ball, anyone that could ellaborate more on the issue? I'm not that familiar with English expressions for some parts, and at home I only have a 5 - series book with which I couldn't help myself out this time.
    I emailed Kirt, but haven't recieved any reply - is his e-mail europetransman@hotmail.com ? I found a phone number at the link ibew595 provided me with - (800)624-3876 #3, would anybody know if that's the number I could reach Kirt at and would it be a smart thing to do considering he doesn't even know me??

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it

My Cars
    '98 740iL, '98 Ford Explorer, '87 535i
    Originally posted by Joe-BMW
    I had a '93 740i prior to my E38 and had experienced the trans program message. In my case, the message would pop up while driving and the transmission would lock into 3rd gear. A restart would fix it temporarily. In my case, it turned out to be a Mass Airflow Sensor, known as MAF.
    Unbelievable!

Joe-BMW, how was that diagnosed?

My Cars
    BimmerGrl:

I believe his website is: autosportsunlimited You should give him a call and see what he can do. His number is probably on the website. I believe he sells remanufactured trannies as well...but not sure on that.

Funny thing is that he is only about half an hour away from me, but I didn't know about this board and didn't know about him back when I had all these problems with my BMW.

I don't know about where you live, but the dealerships around here will not touch the tranny. There answer for me was also to replace with a rebuilt unit...3K for tranny and 2K for install and misc. I found a local independent mechanic who researched and found this "kit" and did it for $300...and a box of cheap cigars He said it was easy. BMW dealership never mentioned anything about this "kit" I referred to.

I can't recall exactly since it was awhile ago, but my mechanic described it to me at the time. Something about the check being a little too small or worn out? It basically blew out of the valve body. The "kit" had slightly larger balls if I recall. He showed the ball to me and also the kit. There wasn't much to it.

HTH, Good luck.

My Cars
    Originally posted by Joe-BMW
    I had a '93 740i prior to my E38 and had experienced the trans program message. In my case, the message would pop up while driving and the transmission would lock into 3rd gear.

Good luck.
    Sounds like the tranny going into limp mode?

I also had the trans program light on mine too. My problem ended up being a bad crank case ventilation valve (like a PCV valve?). It's on the firewall end of the manifold. There was a vacuum leak. I stuck my hand back there and could feel it. If that wasn't it, I was going to try the MAF sensor next..since I already replaced the O2 sensors.

My Cars
    03 525i, 02 530is BMW's 12,13
    You might try these people as well.
    http://www.bavengine.com/
    They handle trannies rebuilt and used, I believe.

My Cars
    Chaw, it seems to me that you were right about the check balls and that is what I need to do with my tranny also - i did some research on these checkballs but couldn't come up with any kit that would be the one I'd need. Could you call your mechanic and ask what's the kit named?

My Cars
    2007 750Li Sport/ 2008 Audi Q7 S-line
    Originally posted by Lloyd Dobler
    Unbelievable!

Joe-BMW, how was that diagnosed?
    Self-diagnosed with the help of some experts over at the E32 Roadfly forums. I got the part from BMW Parts Bin for around $250, never had a trans program again. I should also note that the check engine light would also come on with the trans program, indicating something failing in the engine.

Limp mode though is quite different than BimmerGrl's problems.

BimmerGrl - I replied to your email this morning. I hope I was helpful in describing the part and location.
    2007 750Li Barbera Red on Creme|Sport Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Premium Sound|Ipod Adapter|SAT/HD|Cold Weather Package|Luxury Seats

My Cars
    BimmerGrl:

I'll get a hold of my mechanic and let you know.

My Cars
    Anything new guys?

My Cars
    '98 740iL, '98 Ford Explorer, '87 535i
    I've been out of this thread for awhile, BimmerGRL, but you should ask the local BMW dealer what it was that broke off in the tranny, not us. They're the ones that looked at it and said something broke. With regard to a used tranny, I'm not an expert, but how do you know what you're buying when you buy a used tranny? I think if you're going to buy a used tranny, you need to do your own research on a case by case basis, and find one on which you have a known history. If you're dead set on buying a used one, I'd look on eBay first, and if you don't find one there that's acceptable, create a list of all the major BMW dealers in the US and start calling them one by one. At some point, you're going to find one. You may have to drive across the country and back to get it, or have it shipped at a great cost, but you'll find one. It's all a matter of how much you want to spend. As far as diagnosing the problem with the one you have now, you need to start with the dealer that opened it up.

PS - My avatar is actually a photograph of me as I'm posting on this board.
    Last edited by Lloyd Dobler; 03-23-2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: I left out some additional information

My Cars
    As far as the tranny goes - I asked the mechanics at the Dealer what was that broke, but they couldn't tell me.

Actually I just posted because I'd like to know what's that kit called that Chaw was talking about and was wondering if he forgot since the topic sunk to 2nd page

Thanks!

My Cars
    Bimmergrl,
    I am really sorry..you're right, I completely forgot about this post. I've been out of town this week for work, but I'll find out for you this weekend if I can. I just called my old mechanic now, but he's out today.

Anyway, I'll try to get the info for you this weekend.

A thousand apologies again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast