Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Live mapping 850CSi

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Time to get this thing back together. Cams are in and set, exhaust down pipes finished ready to go back on.

I used a tungsten carbide bit to bore the pipes out in the end.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Lets hope this does the job.
    Why did they make it like this if it restricts?

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    It's just the way the flare is added to the pipe as a cone welded on the end. I doubt they cared as long as it worked.

- - - Updated - - -

There would have been little benefit adding cams and not opening the down pipes .

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    I managed to finish fitting the exhaust system today.....my hands look like I've been rubbing them on a cheese grater...Hopefully wont be doing that job again.

I should have the manifolds back on and running by the end of tomorrow then off to the Dyno next week.

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Well it's all back together and running sweet! I spent an hour this evening driving. It really pulls hard from 4500rpm upwards to redline now, it wants to go past the rev limit whereas before power tailed off at the top, now it just keeps going. I need to increase fuelling in the high rpm range of the DME wide open throttle map, it's showing around 13.4:1 AFR , it was 12.7:1 before derestricting the Exhaust and Cam swap.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    That's great news!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    I can alter the Rev limit easily enough but I'm not sure what kind of RPM the S70 will safely run at....I would have thought 6750 would be ok in 2ND and 3RD then 6500 in 5th and 6th. Interestingly the CSi RPM limit is set at 6,250 for all gears, at least in all of the CSi files I've looked at anyway.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Come on Omega. WE WANT PICS!

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    :-) there isn't much to show, car looks the same ...I'll take some screen shots of the fuel and lambda maps.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Perfect! I don't even know what a lambda is.

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    Quote Originally Posted by 72tpik5 View Post
    Perfect! I don't even know what a lambda is.
    Lambda is the oxygen sensor..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    You can see here in red where I have made changes to the wide open throttle fuel table over the original in black.

- - - Updated - - -

And a short video of the AFR after making changes to the WOT map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxnIo5cVEM I need to set my gopro up in the car on a fixed mount.

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    I've had a bit of a setback with tuning as one of my MTX wideband gauges decided to quit. I think I've fixed it by opening it up and reflowing the solder on the power wires and interconnecting pcb pins. I have to double check the Air fuel ratios with the new air filters installed then book some dyno time.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the O2 gauge stays illuminated now but the readings are still jumping all over the place, I'll have to buy a new one as its out of warranty now. I didn't get much done today as whilst looking in the E-box using my iphone as torch (flashlight) I placed it on the side, it fell between the E-box and underneath it!! Arghhhhhhhh I couldn't believe how unlucky that was......I spent the whole morning removing the E-box to get my phone back :-) not much fun.

I did have a play with some of the variant switch settings inside the DME code. I toggled AUTO or Manual gearbox switch then checked with DIS on the DME screen. You can see just before unleaded it says EH...electronic hydraulic gearbox....then on this shot from a manual car HG - Manual gearbox. Handy if anyone with an auto wanted to drop a CSi motor in. I'm guessing it must switch the communication to the auto box on and off.. pins 63 and 64 at the DME.

Last edited by Omega man 1969; 10-08-2014 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    I took the car out for a test drive yesterday but the tuning gods weren't with me. About 5 miles into the drive I heard a belt squealing as if the alternator wasn't getting grip. As I pulled away from a roundabout the car slowed down and I saw huge clouds of smoke in my rear view mirror. I immediately pulled over and then could see smoke coming from the bonnet ....my heart sank. Luckily I was across the road from a lay by so I started the car and pulled across the road. Oddly the engine sounded normal.

I opened the bonnet and found the water pump had seized causing the belt to be torn/burnt to pieces ...what a relief ! The temperature gauge was still at midway and as the squealing happened 2 seconds before the smoke there was no chance of the car over heating. It was very lucky really as had the belt just snapped I wouldn't have noticed until it was too late. I must fit an over heat alarm now.

getting the car back home again was a complete nightmare though. I called my breakdown company and informed them the car wasn't repairable on the side of the road and that they would need to send a low loader to pick my car up ....not a tow truck and not a 2 wheel pick up truck . I waited over an hour and what turns up? A 2 wheel pickup truck. Of course there was no way my spoiler would get over the metal frame so I had to wait for another 2 hours for a flat bed truck to arrive. This was also the wrong type as it had a bed that comes down at a steep angle. Luckily the guy driving the truck was very helpful and called his colleague to bring some wood and ramps out. After a bit of messing about we got the car on the truck safely.

My cover is with the RAC, they subcontracted the work out to the first company, they sent the wrong truck and then passed the job onto another company (Postlebury) then washed their hands of responsibility. I will not be renewing my cover with the RAC...I would however call Postlebury in future.

Oh well, unlucky but extremely lucky at the same time :-)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to thank Jack and Wayne from http://www.postlebury.co.uk/ for taking great care of my car, nice work guys.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, while I was waiting for the breakdown truck to arrive another 850 went past on the back of a truck ....registration number ending in 140.

- - - Updated - - -

I called BMW today for a new pump, none in stock as expected. They have one coming in from Germany in the morning for me £193 with the exchange unit....not too bad for OEM.

so out came the old unit

The bearing feels like it has broken to pieces inside, odd it didn't leak.
    Last edited by Omega man 1969; 10-10-2014 at 02:44 PM.

My Cars
    X5M E70 and E28 525i
    Glad to see you got it back at home and already likely finished the repair! The tuning gods really arent on your side are they? :P
    How much mileage on the waterpump before it died? I hate reading stories like this as Im thinking mine might overhear and spontaneously explode in the garden!

PS: Nice pics all the same, given other circumstances and all that!

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Ha yeah I have the new pump but BMW don't included the 2 rubber seals that seal the 2 pipes that run to the back of the block, odd as its not like you would fit the pump without them. Hopefully they should be with me Tuesday.

The car stood for 6 or 7 years and I doubt that helped the pump seal. I guess the inner seal allowed water to the bearing and it took 3,000 miles to fail...58,000 miles in total.

I think the 8 is protesting over my thoughts of buying an old 911 ;-)

Thanks, Luckily for me a good friend has a very nice camera!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Omega man 1969; 10-12-2014 at 10:05 AM.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Great! With 137k on the clock, you are making me worry. ��

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    It's a fairly straightforward job to change. I'd say 3 hours max to fit a new one.

My car developed a slight squeak at idle a few days before it let go.....I just thought it was extra load on the alternator where it hadn't been run for a week or so. You will feel play in the up and down direction of the fan shaft if its on its way out.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega man 1969 View Post
    It's a fairly straightforward job to change. I'd say 3 hours max to fit a new one.

My car developed a slight squeak at idle a few days before it let go.....I just thought it was extra load on the alternator where it hadn't been run for a week or so. You will feel play in the up and down direction of the fan shaft if its on its way out.
    While changing a water pump is never fun, you're a very lucky man. If that shaft bearing went during one of your "test the rev limiter" type of runs, things could of quickly become very ugly. Fan clutch units have been known to truly reshape the lines of just about any hood (bonnet) they come into contact with. That water pump shaft snapping at 6500 rpm? Not good.

On another note; Thanks for all the great pics throughtout this thread, as they add an additional dimension to your reporting.
    My Addications - Updated 3/17 all registered and driven
    1996 740iL 120k miles of great driving, The BMW "habit" takes root(sold)
    1995 840Ci Cosmos/Silver. A 14 yr. relationship begins.
    2001 740i Sport Oriential Blue/Oyster, 150k going strong.
    2000 528i Silver/Black, wife's ride, let's me clean it.
    2003 530 Cosmos/Saddle, daughter's car, recently returned,needs detailing
    1994 850CSI #130 Individual, Hellrot/Pergament to be "pried from my cold dead hands"
    2015 X5 50i MSport, A muscle car at heart, memories of my 454" Chevelle SS.

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Yes a friend of mine had an M5 and the fan decided to shear off at high RPM and eat his radiator, I was extremely lucky .

So in with the new :

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    This has taken me a bit longer than expected....I got distracted by a 911. The Earl was kind enough to run me up to Warrington in his M3. We were making good progress until we hit a huge pothole on the motorway.

We limped to a local garage to have another tyre fitted. The super sport that was on there was only a few weeks old :-( hopefully the highways agency will cover the cost.

anyway after a lot of messing about I finally picked up my new toy.......

Last edited by Omega man 1969; 10-17-2014 at 01:07 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Amazing photos and congrats on the Porsche
    Its two different kind of worlds and it would be nice if you could describe to us the differences that you feel?

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Thanks.

The 8 in comparison is so refined, better build quality, faster, smoother, more planted on the road, better driving position......it's better in nearly every way.......But.....the 911 is a 911 :-)

to be honest, driving the Porsche back yesterday was horrible, the clutch is on it's way out, the brakes are dodgy, the electrics are dodgy. It felt bouncy and unstable compared to the CSi. None of this matters to me, I've wanted one since I was a teenager. I bought a workshop manual for it when i was 18...27 years ago as an incentive to help me save. I met a girl shortly afterwards and that was that. It was nice to actually use that book at last.

I plan on pulling it apart and making it into a street/track car like my old Datsun 240z.

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Shame you didnt try a similar thing to the e31 :P
    I have to tell you though that when reading your opinion I am glad I didnt trade the e31 for a 911. You can only just add one to your collection.

- - - Updated - - -

What wheels are those under the datsun?

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Nearly done, just need to add antifreeze/RO water and disconnect the life support :-)

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast