Thread: X3 E83 Fuel Filter Replacement

My Cars
    BMW 528i

X3 E83 Fuel Filter Replacement

Hi there guys,

I just thought I would do a real quick write up for those interested in changing their fuel filter on the X3. Dealers here in Oz charge crazy prices so those of you wishing to change it should try it yourself!

Their are a couple of other threads out there, so I thought I would just highlight a few things that might help others, particularly as their is not considerable info on this for the DIY'er. I think this job is entirely manageable for anyone with a bit of experience.

-Remove black covers for child seat harness points
    -Remove bench seat by pulling up on both ends (it just clips in)
    -Fold over rubber protective matting so it is not in the way
    -Pop out rubber cover (where the elec harness is going through)
    -Remove 4x 10mm nuts
    -Disconnect harness from top of tank unit
    -De pressurize fuel system by removing both fuses for the fuel pump (as listed on card, some are different, if you dont remove both high pressure line will not completely de pressurize!)
    -Disconnect both low/high pressure lines from top plate

Special tool is suggested (161020) this is NOT required for removal or installation! It is possible to EASILY remove/re install without it.

Simply use a flat head screw driver and hammer, note paying particular attention to loosen where the screw driver remains the most horizontal for even horizontal force. Simply hit the screw driver on one of the dimples on the securing ring (it may be tough but it will slowly move) to loosen.
    Once this has loosened a bit the driving process will be easy. Just keep hitting it until loose enough to turn by hand. Note it is not a full 360 degrees in my experience.
    -Disconnect harness from top plate (quite tough, use a small flat blade to pry through the tiny square and wriggle like crazy)
    -Remove both lines from top plate (be careful with the larger line, if its cold ambient plastics crack easier, especially with thin round lock rings)
    -Disconnect lines from fuel filter
    -With your fingers pry both sides of the half moon holder pushing diagonally upwards towards the front of the car. It will pop out eventually
    -Disconnect both ground wires

Installation is reverse of the removal, take note of where the lines connect, however it is not probable to connect them incorrectly. Remember to connect ground wires!

Ensure new retaining clip is fitted to the inner nipple on the fuel filter. The old line from the rear of the filter remains with it.

When re installing top plate the same procedure is required to refit the securing ring. Use a flat blade screw driver on one of the dimples and work it around until it no longer turns without reasonable force. A new o-ring IS required for the top plate and should come with the new filter if purchased from the dealer.

I would highly recommend having low or no fuel remaining unless you don't mind solvent burns and cuts! Running the fuel down to about 20-30KM on OBC is perfect for this job. If your worried, use an electric kerosene pump to remove excess fuel. Remember to re install fuses and reset fault codes if you have had a lean mixture bank error.

To dispel myths, it is entirely possible for a fuel filter to cause drastic lean conditions and fuel pump noise. It only takes one really dirty batch of fuel, plus an old contaminated fuel filter to cause this issue. Clogged filters will throw up lean codes usually.. If their is fuel pump whine/groan, sluggish performance, feels like theirs hesitations and CEL on try this first.. You should change fuel filter with the pump if it is this bad anyway.

Fill up with 98ron fuel, check for leaks and away you go! Remember to reset codes if check engine light is on!

My Cars
    2004 BMW x3

changing fuel pressure regulator

Im trying to replace my fuel pressure regulator, I even have a tool to loosen the seal. I can get the seal to turn counterclockwise just fine, but it just keeps turning without loosening. I noticed a white tab attached to the service cap underneath the seal which is moving with the seal. I suspect that the service cap is not supposed to move while the seal is being loosened, but I'm just not sure because I've never done this job before. Do you have any suggestions?

M_3_X is offline Breaking Stereotypes BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodter89 View Post
    Hi there guys,

I just thought I would do a real quick write up for those interested in changing their fuel filter on the X3.
    Thanks for posting this! I'll be using it this weekend! No pics of the process?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.
    1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black leather, Black top, three pedals.

M_3_X is offline Breaking Stereotypes BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by mosi17 View Post
    Im trying to replace my fuel pressure regulator, I even have a tool to loosen the seal. I can get the seal to turn counterclockwise just fine, but it just keeps turning without loosening. I noticed a white tab attached to the service cap underneath the seal which is moving with the seal. I suspect that the service cap is not supposed to move while the seal is being loosened, but I'm just not sure because I've never done this job before. Do you have any suggestions?
    I just replaced the fuel filter on my 2005 X3, following this instructions and now I think I can answer your question.
    The white cap, (underneath the metal retaining nut, where the hoses connect to) is not suppose to rotate with the nut, if it is, try using something like a screwdriver to keep it from moving. I sprayed a little PB blaster in each dimple around the retaining nut, it worked wonders to help turning it. It just rotates aprox 360 degrees and is out. Hopefully you solve your situation.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.
    1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black leather, Black top, three pedals.

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Nice writeup, pictures would be nice though.
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2005 330CiC | Sparkling Graphite | Black | 6MT | ZHP
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    2011 X5 35d | Black Sapphire | Nevada Brown Cinnamon | Sports Package |
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    | Interlagos Blue | Pallidum Silver | DINAN | MPerformance | DCT | SOLD
    2002///M3 | Steel Gray Metallic | Imola Red | 6MT | Convertible| SOLD
    2006 X5 4.8iS | LeMans Blue Metallic | Creme Beige | SOLD
    2006 ///M3 | Silver Gray | Black | Competition Package (ZCP) | 6MT | SOLD
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD
    2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Saphhire Metallic | Black Sport | SOLD
    2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Gray | Terracotta | SOLD

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i

X3 fuel filter replace

Replace the fuel filter for X3 2007
    I post this in the bimmerfest

- I use the Laminate installation tool to make the tool to turn the screw cap
    - wait until 1/8 tank of gas because of the filter at the bottom of the tank
    - move the car outside for adequate ventilation; have fire extinguisher around
    - pull up the bench seat at up1 up2 up3
    (note the way the seat belt through the bench, the electric wire lay underneath the bench. this helps when putting the bench back)
    - remove 4 screws, lift the right cover up a little
    - slide back to unlock, then pull up the connector1
    - clean the locking plug, screw cap, and the area around
    - check if your tool can turn the screw cap (use the wrench on nut1)
    - open the glove box, turn the 2 white tab 90degree toward you
    - take out the white card; it says fuse #54 for fuel
    - look for the 54 printed on the fuse box, remove fuse #54 with the included tool
    - start the engine; it won't start, but release the pressure
    - mark the screw cap tooth so you know where to close it back
    - remove line1, line2; some fuel drop out from line2; that plier helps
    - remove the screw cap (turn 360degree then it's out)
    - pull up the locking plug
    - remove line3, line4, connector2 (squeeze, shake and pull hard)
    - put on the new glove, remove line5, line6
    - or push the old filter out of the holder, bring it to the top to remove line6
    (I didn't use the new glove. The fuel in tank cleans all the dirt on my glove.
    The Costco gloves work fine. look at the bavauto pdf, and feel around the holder help
    you know how to push out the old filter, and install the new one)
    - disconnect the ground wire, take out the old filter
    - connect the ground to the new filter
    - put the new rubber on line6, connect line6 to the new filter
    (the old rubber stays with the old filter)
    - install the new filter into the holder
    - re-connect line5 to the new filter
    - re-connect the connector2, line4, line3
    - replace the seal, close the scew cap back to the marked place
    - re-connect line1, line2, connector1; 4 screws back; fuse #54 back
    - drive to the gas station to fill up the tank 15gal
    - drive home, check if any leak around the screw cap
    - put the bench back
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i
    Thank you for the detailed instructions. I replaced my fuel filter but I have on question, on the pressure regulator there is a nipple, what should be connected to the nipple? See photo, i have a red arrow pointing to the location.

.216418_x600.jpg

My Cars
    2007 bmw x3
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeday View Post
    Thank you for the detailed instructions. I replaced my fuel filter but I have on question, on the pressure regulator there is a nipple, what should be connected to the nipple? See photo, i have a red arrow pointing to the location.

.216418_x600.jpg
    connect it to the harness, black tinny wire.

My Cars
    BMW X3 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjianlin View Post
    connect it to the harness, black tinny wire.
    no - that nipple does not have anything connected to it. the skinny black wire attaches in two places:

1. to the other skinny metal post
    2. to a clip that is pushed into the side with a metal flag that should make contact with the inner metal part.

see photo:

blackwire.jpg

My Cars
    E83 X3 and parking friendly Yaris
    Hi, I’m looking to change out my fuel pump but I’m overly cautious. Is this all I need to buy for my 2004 2.5L X3: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...hi-16117159604

Also, is the fuel filter separate from the fuel pump? Or is it all part of the assembly in the link above?

Thanks in advance for the help!

My Cars
    08 X3
    Can someone tell me, is the fuel pressure regulator located on the same side of the tank as the fuel pump? Ie. Does the fuel pump have to come out to get to the fuel filter or is it accessed from the other side of the tank. Because I thought there was an access cap on either side of the tank below the seat.. This is for an 08 X3.

Both sets of instruction don't even state that you need to remove the top plate which is part of the fuel pump, no?
    Last edited by freebo86; 07-13-2019 at 05:57 PM.

My Cars
    456 X3s
    I attempted this job last week with some success by way of replacing the pump.
    However, the problem I ran into was closing the tank securely. between the rubber seal ring and the white plastic tab ring I am not getting full closure! Resulting in gas fumes invading the cockpit heavily. No way of having the wife drive the 04 X3 2.5 now. I did the job on almost a full tank (what the hell was I thinking!) anyways I am at the point now of driving down the gas (the lower the amount of gas...the less the gas fumes) I've opened the tank up twice and every time I seem to get it sealed tighter. I've ordered a new rubber seal. But I should be able to use the original. I followed the tis instructions. the flat white tab should stay in the indentation of the tank top...coming in on the last turn I get to, the tab moves out of the indentation! Leaving room for the plastic top not to fit totally therefore leaving room for fumes to escape into the cockpit.
    I think I have to grow a third arm with hand to keep the tab in place and then hammer the ring clockwise to secure the sealed fit.
    This was to be easy! I think I'll try the lubricant blaster as mention above...any more suggestions i welcome greatly. Other than the seal everything is functioning fine.
    In case anyone wants to know...i was experiencing small hesitations while pulling away from a stop. Once the thing stalled out on the wife three weeks so I then had to act with urgency. I concluded the fuel pump needed replacement on this 15 year old car.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by X3456; 07-14-2019 at 04:00 AM.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by X3456 View Post
    I attempted this job last week with some success by way of replacing the pump.
    However, the problem I ran into was closing the tank securely. between the rubber seal ring and the white plastic tab ring I am not getting full closure!
    When I did this on an E39, I had the same problem (I assume the seal, the plastic lid and the collar are the same or very similar). One thing that may help is to use a new seal instead of re-using the old one. The seal swells when in contact with fuel and becomes harder to get in place right, so having the tank as empty as possible certainly helps. I think the key for me was also to lubricate the seal. I forgot what I used but it might have just been engine oil or something else readily available. Regardless, I remember it took about 10 tries to get it right. Good luck!

My Cars
    456 X3s
    vinyldude: encouraging news! makes perfectly good sense...just got in the mail today the new seal. Thanks for your valuable perspective. Thanks man...

Last edited by X3456; 07-19-2019 at 07:16 PM.

My Cars
    456 X3s
    installed the new seal ring...man what a Bi*@:ch! Just a pain!
    well the wife's off driving and has been gone for 3 hours...when she returns I'll get the final assessment