Thread: WTB and what fits my 635csi

My Cars
    1986 635csi

WTB and what fits my 635csi

Hey folks... I have a 1986 635csi that I am converting to air, I want to save all my original springs, struts and cartridges in case I want to switch it back or sell it to someone that doesn't want a e24 layed out. So what other models and years of Struts, hubs, knuckles, ect. will interchange on my car? Also if anyone is in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle North area that has suspension parts to sell hit me up. Looking and needing other parts as well so if we are neighbors say hello. Thanks, Bill

My Cars
    1988 e24, 2000 e38
    You have an e28 based sixer so all suspension components from later mdels will fit. Think the change from e12 to e28 suspension was in late 82' I believe?? Someone here will give you an exact date.

My Cars
    '87 635Csi & 3 MG's
    I didn't know that there were air suspension Kits for the e24/e28? Let us know what you find?

Go to the goodies page and click on the BMWFans parts catalog. Look up the part for your car and then click on the part number and it will tell you what other model BMW's that part number was used on, right down to the year/month. Handy for salvage yard hunting.
    __

Welcome Wagon O' Information:
    Here is a "Goodies Page" of links to Online (or PDF Downloads) of the:
    Factory Workshop Manuals,
    Wiring Diagrams
    (ETM's),
    Parts Manuals,
    Online Suppliers,
    etc.:
    http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10410

My Cars
    2002 325i
    All the air kits I have seen so far require custom fab work. Rear is the easiest only needing the bottom eye mount welded on. The front is a little more complex.

Better yet here is a link with pics and more info. It is based on a e23 but is in essence the same process.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22708

My Cars
    99 528iT, '78 R100RS
    Quote Originally Posted by CW6er View Post
    I didn't know that there were air suspension Kits for the e24/e28? Let us know what you find?
    If you can bag an Impala, you can bag an E24 ...

C.R. Krieger #53302

My Cars
    99 528iT, '78 R100RS

C.R. Krieger #53302

My Cars
    99 528iT, '78 R100RS

C.R. Krieger #53302

My Cars
    99 528iT, '78 R100RS

C.R. Krieger #53302

My Cars
    99 528iT, '78 R100RS

C.R. Krieger #53302

My Cars
    1986 635csi
    Thanks for the input so far. The Stance Works build is what we are modeling after, I am looking at Air Lift universal modded for the front and the eye change in the rear. My understanding is the quality of the ride with air is based on the inserts, I am looking at Koni but would welcome suggestions on this. Just need to find someone with a Pacific NW parts car now so I don't have to pay yard prices.

My Cars
    a dead E28
    look on cl for some used front sus.

528e
    533i
    535i/s
    1983/1988

search away
    tryn to get back in the game

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman7798 View Post
    Thanks for the input so far. The Stance Works build is what we are modeling after, I am looking at Air Lift universal modded for the front and the eye change in the rear. My understanding is the quality of the ride with air is based on the inserts, I am looking at Koni but would welcome suggestions on this. Just need to find someone with a Pacific NW parts car now so I don't have to pay yard prices.
    The setup in the link i posted doesnt require struts they are "strut and spring" in one. unless you go with bag over strut for the front then you will need struts the bags are cheaper but good new struts can offset that.

yard prices arent ussually bad. infact if they are pull your own parts it really doesnt get cheaper.

air suspension isnt cheap. your looking upwards of 1500, closer to 2500 if you diy, and 3000 installed. That is for manual setups if you go electronic with accuair for example add another 1500 or more.

My Cars
    99 528iT, '78 R100RS
    Thanks for the input so far. The Stance Works build is what we are modeling after,
    Given that they don't actually care if the car is functional or safe, just cut the stock springs until it's low enough for your taste. Lay in a stock of oil pans, too.

My understanding is the quality of the ride with air is based on the inserts,
    "Quality of the ride" and "Stance Works" are mutually exclusive concepts.

C.R. Krieger #53302

My Cars
    1986 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Krieger View Post
    Given that they don't actually care if the car is functional or safe, just cut the stock springs until it's low enough for your taste. Lay in a stock of oil pans, too.

"Quality of the ride" and "Stance Works" are mutually exclusive concepts.
    You sound as if you have some experience with air ride. Why don't you share your wealth of knowledge with me instead of making comments that have no value. I am new to this forum and the 6 series and am trying to learn from other people. I have been building and restoring for almost 40 years, it has been my impression from the building and hot rodding community that air ride is a very practical, safe and enjoyable way to upgrade a vehicle. Not sure why cutting springs and buying oil pans would have any relevance to my inquiry.

My Cars
    99 528iT, '78 R100RS
    You sound as if you have some experience with air ride.
    No; the experience is with fans of Stance Works. My own experience goes more toward actually driving BMWs as they were meant to be driven, not trying to make an impression with them.
    Why don't you share your wealth of knowledge with me instead of making comments that have no value. I am new to this forum and the 6 series and am trying to learn from other people.
    What I'm trying to teach you is that you're headed in a direction that many BMW enthusiasts don't care to go. I'm one of them. The E24 can be a great handling car if you pay more attention to performance than to aesthetics. I'd be happy to help you track down proper springs and shocks to make your car perform as well as it can; but if your goal is simply to 'slam' it and put stretched undersized tires on oversized wheels, you've lost me.
    I have been building and restoring for almost 40 years, it has been my impression from the building and hot rodding community that air ride is a very practical, safe and enjoyable way to upgrade a vehicle. Not sure why cutting springs and buying oil pans would have any relevance to my inquiry.
    If we're comparing resumes, I'll tell you I've owned BMWs for almost 30 years and I've worked in road racing, autocrossed, and been a BMW club driving instructor for about 25 of those years. Air ride may be an "upgrade" for a car with leaf springs or with the earliest coil sprung American cars, but it isn't for a BMW - unless the only thing that concerns you is looks - in which case, cutting the springs is as easy and as cheap as anything.

So, the question is, are you in it for the looks or for the drive? If it's for posing, I'll shut up and leave you alone. If it's for the drive, I'll tell you you're doing it wrong.

C.R. Krieger #53302

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528i (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Krieger View Post
    No; the experience is with fans of Stance Works. My own experience goes more toward actually driving BMWs as they were meant to be driven, not trying to make an impression with them.

What I'm trying to teach you is that you're headed in a direction that many BMW enthusiasts don't care to go. I'm one of them. The E24 can be a great handling car if you pay more attention to performance than to aesthetics. I'd be happy to help you track down proper springs and shocks to make your car perform as well as it can; but if your goal is simply to 'slam' it and put stretched undersized tires on oversized wheels, you've lost me.

If we're comparing resumes, I'll tell you I've owned BMWs for almost 30 years and I've worked in road racing, autocrossed, and been a BMW club driving instructor for about 25 of those years. Air ride may be an "upgrade" for a car with leaf springs or with the earliest coil sprung American cars, but it isn't for a BMW - unless the only thing that concerns you is looks - in which case, cutting the springs is as easy and as cheap as anything.

So, the question is, are you in it for the looks or for the drive? If it's for posing, I'll shut up and leave you alone. If it's for the drive, I'll tell you you're doing it wrong.
    Ball Game!
    2021 BMW X5
    2019 BMW 330i
    2009 BMW 128i
    2001 BMW 740il
    1983 BMW 633CSI (Sold)
    2016 BMW 528i M-Sport
    2012 BMW 528i (Sold)
    2008 BMW 328i (Sold)
    2003 BMW 330xi (Sold)

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    The E28 is the same car mechanically speaking, find a decent 528e and grab everything you need. Be aware that the BMW struts tend to rust at the welds on the spring cup, maybe you could even get a set for free? It's also getting a little hard to find parts for these cars now-a-days...so I'd recommend expanding your search to the E32 7-series, the E34 5-series, and even the E31 8-series if you can find one. The best of the bunch for spare parts would be a '95 E34 540i since it uses the same suspension AND has bigger brakes that bolt right on to the E24. That car uses the same offset so the rotors will bolt right on. Sell whatever you don't need on this forum, you might even come out a little ahead. Grab the sport seats while you're at it and PM me, LOL.

I'm not 100% sure, but the last E32 could work for you too. Last one I saw was a '95 740iL with what looked like an identical front suspension; I actually used those brakes to upgrade my '86 635CSi, check it out here. The late 80s/early 90s cars all use the same wheel & brake caliper patterns on the knuckles. The rear trailing arms are even interchangeable. The best of the bunch is the E32 750iL rear arms, they actually had sleeve bearings instead of rubber bushings.

I'm sure you're already up on this stuff, but if you're lowering the car significantly be sure to compensate suspension geometry. BMW suspensions are not very sophisticated, since they lack most adjustments you can avoid some of the weirder handling problems (bump steering, rear camber, etc.) with front camber plates and rear camber/toe compensators like this.

I couldn't find any pics but I could swear I've seen spacers between the knuckle & strut?
    Last edited by DesktopDave; 09-01-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Save the manuals!
    '08 128i 6MT, '86 635CSi 5MT (B32, Motronic 1.3, WBO2, G265, 18# FW, 3.46 torsen)
    Past projects:
    '96 318iS, sold 4/23 '90 535iM, RIP 1/23 '90 535iA RIP 6/22 '91 318i, sold 7/19 '97 M3 sedan, sold 11/18 '85 735i, RIP 2/18 '92 325iC, sold 7/16 '91 318iS, sold 6/16 '84 745i, sold 10/14 '82 633CSi, traded 9/12 '90 325i, RIP '87 325 sold '89 525i, traded '87 325iS, RIP