Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An interesting discovery about the E38 auxiliary fan

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by srq View Post
    How do you activate the fan w/INPA?
    Go into the DME and goto activate its somewhere in there...

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    I got the last E39 Aux Fan from the above Ebay link....

Purplecty - Did you install yours in the E38? Since the difference in the shape of the shroud, can we replace the fan motor from the E39 onto the e38 shroud? OR just use the e39 Aux Fan system in its entirety?

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I got the last E39 Aux Fan from the above Ebay link....

Purplecty - Did you install yours in the E38? Since the difference in the shape of the shroud, can we replace the fan motor from the E39 onto the e38 shroud? OR just use the e39 Aux Fan system in its entirety?
    I never bought one but I'd just pop it in as is if and when i buy one in the springtime...

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    I bought one have not used yet....but either way should work. Depends if you want it to look original or not.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    I bought one have not used yet....but either way should work. Depends if you want it to look original or not.
    What brand is the one they ended up sending you Roger?

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    wow, This is an awesome discovery...Kudos..
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Got the e39 fan from ebay yesterday --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/281801111170

This is a nice writeup to replace E38 Aux Fan --> http://www.laczik.org/BMW/repair/E38...8_aux_fan.html

Thanks to the above writeup, it took me ~ 15 minutes to remove bumper, remove old fan and put new e39 fan. (I thought this was going to be a whole day project...). I have not put the bumper back on yet.

Couple of observations/questions:
    The AC condenser which is in front of the radiator was very very dirty. I wouldn't be surprised if any air was able to flow through it. Cleaned it with low pressure garden hose (I would not use pressure washer).
    Any one having engine heating issues should 1st clean the AC condenser...

The new fan has couple of metal clips on one of the blades. I am guessing it is for balancing purposes. The old fan did not have any clips on the fan blade. Leave the clips on or remove?

The new fan has a top & bottom grills to protect the fan. The old fan only had a grill on the top portion of the fan. Leave the bottom grill on or take it off from the new fan?

Performance Tests:

I removed the Belt driven clutch fan for the purpose of this test.

Test 1 -
    With the new fan, started the car at idle w/AC ON. The car settled at ~ 96 DegC. (I am using 88 deg thermostat). When you put AC on, the Aux fan stays on at a low speed. That low speed was enough to keep the engine at ~96 deg. (before, my car would have reached 105+- degC.)

Test 2 - With the AC OFF, ran the car at idle. The temp of the engine rose higher and settled at ~ 100 DegC. Without AC, the Aux fan stayed Off until the temp reached ~100 and then the fan came on and kept it @ 99-100 DegC

Conclusion:
    I am going to use my car w/out clutch fan for a while to see if I really need it.

Since I am using a 88 Deg thermostat, I would like the Aux fan to come on at a lower temperature instead of the current ~ 100 Deg. I would like the Aux fan to start come on at 90 Deg to match the performance of the colder thermostat. Any ideas how to make the DME start the fan at 90 Deg? Maybe put some resistor in the temp sensor line to make the DEM that the engine is hotter than it actually is?

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Got the e39 fan from ebay yesterday --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/281801111170

This is a nice writeup to replace E38 Aux Fan --> http://www.laczik.org/BMW/repair/E38...8_aux_fan.html

Thanks to the above writeup, it took me ~ 15 minutes to remove bumper, remove old fan and put new e39 fan. (I thought this was going to be a whole day project...). I have not put the bumper back on yet.

Couple of observations/questions:
    The AC condenser which is in front of the radiator was very very dirty. I wouldn't be surprised if any air was able to flow through it. Cleaned it with low pressure garden hose (I would not use pressure washer).
    Any one having engine heating issues should 1st clean the AC condenser...

The new fan has couple of metal clips on one of the blades. I am guessing it is for balancing purposes. The old fan did not have any clips on the fan blade. Leave the clips on or remove?

The new fan has a top & bottom grills to protect the fan. The old fan only had a grill on the top portion of the fan. Leave the bottom grill on or take it off from the new fan?

Performance Tests:

I removed the Belt driven clutch fan for the purpose of this test.

Test 1 - With the new fan, started the car at idle w/AC ON. The car settled at ~ 96 DegC. (I am using 88 deg thermostat). When you put AC on, the Aux fan stays on at a low speed. That low speed was enough to keep the engine at ~96 deg. (before, my car would have reached 105+- degC.)

Test 2 - With the AC OFF, ran the car at idle. The temp of the engine rose higher and settled at ~ 100 DegC. Without AC, the Aux fan stayed Off until the temp reached ~100 and then the fan came on and kept it @ 99-100 DegC

Conclusion:
    I am going to use my car w/out clutch fan for a while to see if I really need it.

Since I am using a 88 Deg thermostat, I would like the Aux fan to come on at a lower temperature instead of the current ~ 100 Deg. I would like the Aux fan to start come on at 90 Deg to match the performance of the colder thermostat. Any ideas how to make the DME start the fan at 90 Deg? Maybe put some resistor in the temp sensor line to make the DEM that the engine is hotter than it actually is?
    What brand was listed on this fan?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Purplecty - I do not now the brand but this is the manufacturer part number -> TOPT1207005

Also, make sure that you get the correct type of fan. Older model e38s have a two speed fan. Newer e38s have a DME controlled PWM (Pulse modulated) fans.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Purplecty - I do not now the brand but this is the manufacturer part number -> TOPT1207005

Also, make sure that you get the correct type of fan. Older model e38s have a two speed fan. Newer e38s have a DME controlled PWM (Pulse modulated) fans.
    I am aware of this thanks!
    The original fan i listed is no longer available since it is out of stock... The link you just sent me via PM appears by the pics in the ad to be the older fan for pre facelift models with the resistor pack attached to it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Condense...ZYGEPf&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by purplecty; 01-19-2017 at 12:18 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Ayal, I finally remembered to look at my fan - it is a TOPAZ, manufactured in Germany. And it is the e39 shroud configuration. It is also the three wire configuration - Brown, blue and smaller black
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Ayal, I finally remembered to look at my fan - it is a TOPAZ, manufactured in Germany. And it is the e39 shroud configuration. It is also the three wire configuration - Brown, blue and smaller black
    Roger! I sent you an email... Can you send some pics of how the fan looks? Does it look like this one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152362829334

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Ayal, mine looks just like that one. Can't make out the wiring but mine has three - Brown, Blue and smaller black

My Cars
    2000 740i sport

Roger! I sent you an email... Can you send some pics of how the fan looks? Does it look like this one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152362829334
    I ordered this 1 since it was the cheapest one available that looks the part...

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Purchased a brand new aftermarket e39 aux fan from ebay for $99 and it works great. Nice and quiet too!

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Purchased a brand new aftermarket e39 aux fan from ebay for $99 and it works great. Nice and quiet too!
    ..........and I hope it works for a long time to come!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport

..........and I hope it works for a long time to come!
    I dont see why not... Any luck with yours?

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    I dont see why not... Any luck with yours?
    Not messed with it lately...to busy building exhaust systems but that is coming to an end soon.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport

Not messed with it lately...to busy building exhaust systems but that is coming to an end soon.
    I am hoping so!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Here is an update to my eBay aux fan I purchased. It has started to only spin very slowly even when activated with INPA so I am assuming the fan has crapped out. It Lasted almost 2 years... Just received a TOPAZ one i found for $110 on eBay. I think this is the same one Roger purchased which has the same wiring colors as well...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F281985795303

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Would an E39 fan work for a pre face lift E38? I assume so but want to verify.
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Prefacelift uses an entirely different fan and part number. Do some research on the resistor fix which usually solves those fan issues cheap...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Prefacelift uses an entirely different fan and part number. Do some research on the resistor fix which usually solves those fan issues cheap...
    cool. I was thinking the resistor could fix it but thought about just replacing the entire unit. Thanks.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero32 View Post
    cool. I was thinking the resistor could fix it but thought about just replacing the entire unit. Thanks.
    I think the prefacelift fans aren't that expensive. I sold my pre facelift years ago and never had to replace my aux fan on it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    I think the prefacelift fans aren't that expensive. I sold my pre facelift years ago and never had to replace my aux fan on it.
    Its $215 on FCP Euro. I might just replace the entire unit since its from 1997 anyway. The soldering in aftermarket resistor option does sound kind of fun but maybe not worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast