Thread: Ford 4.6 modular engine swap info

My Cars
    Diesels and a 04 M3

Ford 4.6 modular engine swap info

So lets say I have access to a 4.6 DOHC supercharged motor from an 03-04 Cobra and I want to stuff it in an E36.

I did some research and most say they "think" it would be too wide.
    But click the 2 links below of the 4.6 DOHC vs. LS1 size....

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...2/viewall.html
    (at bottom of page)

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8786144
    (post #3)

What do you all say? The Ford engine seems to be much shorter so you could really keep the weight back.

Thanks for your input
    James
    Last edited by KarlSpackler; 08-15-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    I'm a ROLEX wear'N
    Diamond ring wear'N
    KISS steal'n
    WHEELIN DEAL'N
    Limousine RIDE'N
    JET PLANE FLY'N , SON OF A GUN!
    And I'm havin a hard time holdin these alligators down!!!!!!
    WHOOOOOO!!!!!!

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    As much as I like to see it done for the WOW factor it would bring, seems like the endeavor would mostly that, WOW factor at shows and meets vs a viable bang for the buck conversion. I have a suspicion it will take quite a bit of creative carving/hacking to get between the strut towers, not encroaching on the brake M/C or the in-the-way steering shaft, and under a modified hood. There was mention in that article of the mod being wider than big block BOSS 429, having built/machined one some years back I recall it was a behemoth in width and height, but a VERY cool power plant. Dims comparing the mod to SBF 302 and 351 in this link offer a little perspective;
    http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech...questions.html
    The weight of the mods mentioned in that article as on par with the big blocks.. ouch.
    Fitment Issues
    Likely the greatest challenge facing any of you considering a Mod' motor swap is size. The 4.6 SOHC and DOHC engines are larger than the rotund, hemi-head Boss 429 big-block. This presents serious challenges for anyone considering this engine swap. Because the 4.6 and 5.4 engines are considerably larger than the small- and even big-blocks we are used to, changes have to be made to some vintage Fords before these engines will fit.
    Another issue is weight. The 4.6 and 5.4 Modular V-8s weigh more than our small-blocks, but are on a par with vintage big-blocks weight wise. This will effect handling and weight distribution.
    Read more: http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...#ixzz23b0dM672
    If it can be done, it should just for the sake of doing it, but know going into it that comparable performance conversion in the E36 can be had for less weight, complexity, and most likely less fitment issues.

My .$02

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

My Cars
    E46 M3 ZCP
    Out of all the BMW swaps out there why? Why? Why? M54, S50, S52, S54? Why?
    06 M3 ZCP: RPI Scoops, AFe Stage 2 Intake, Power Flex Urethane Bushings, Shark Injector, VAC Ultra Light UDP's, Turner Solid Diff Bushing, UUC Evo 3, and BAV Auto CDV mod

E46 M3 links:

E46 M3 wheel/tire fitment guide

SSV1 vs SSV2 header dyno

Race Tires!!!

Want to join BMWCCA?

Evolve Tune+Alpha N+Euro Header Dyno, +46 rwhp

My Cars
    z3
    Definitely not something there will ever be a kit of but size wise it will fit.

But size is never the problem doing an engine conversion, things can always be cut or moved to make room. The problem is simply that there isnt a lot of information out there on mating a ford engine to a BMW system. You could do standalone and that is the easiest way to do this.

They are great little engines, would be a hoot in an E36!

My Cars
    2E36,E34,E38,Dak,780,V
    If it fits in an M-Coupe . . . it should fit in E36. There was a drifter overseas that built one . . .

However, being RHD, I believe the booster is setup closer fender than on our LHD cars.
    -=PJ
    Strike Zero's Garage
    ==================================================
    2006 SCR-SCCA Street Mod Champion
    1982 Toyota Corolla
    1988 Volvo 780
    1993 BMW 318is: Gas Sipper
    1993 BMW 325is => 350is: Track Rat
    1994 BMW 530i + 5spd
    1997 BMW 740i: Hwy Killah!!
    1998 Honda VFR800FI: Gear Driven Cam Goodness
    2000 Dodge Dakota: V8 + 5spd = Smokey Fun
    2000 Lincoln LS V6 5spd
    2004 Pontiac GTO - RIP
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V
    ==================================================
    "If not under warranty, live with it, or bend over and grab ankles."

My Cars
    05 RSX-S
    the difference is the LS1 is a push rod engine while the 4.6L Ford Engine is overhead cam

I really don't know how a 5.7L LS1 can fit places the 4.6L can't besides the heads being different and of course the displacement.

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkersracing View Post
    the difference is the LS1 is a push rod engine while the 4.6L Ford Engine is overhead cam

I really don't know how a 5.7L LS1 can fit places the 4.6L can't besides the heads being different and of course the displacement.
    You hit the nail on the head, the added cams up top is the cause of the fitment issues. To put cams in the head requires widening the head CONSIDERABLY, that also means the exhaust ports are pushed further out pushing out the manifolds making that region substantially wider. The cams being up in the head make the head taller and being a 90 degree V angle that means any gain in height is also a gain in width at that point by the same amount, i.e, engine gets wider. With all that added mass of aluminum head casting comes even more weight, then adding 3 more cams, twice the valves, springs, rockers, etc, which are all on top of the engine raising the CG, all bad points for a performance application especially when comparable power can be had in a physically smaller yet larger displacement, lighter, and readily available package such as SBF, SBC, LSx, etc.

If/when GM decides to go OHC with their V8, that will be a dark day for future swappers.

These pics below, pushrod V8 next to the Mod, note the size difference due to the added camshafts. LSx is just a skosch wider than the 302's pictured.
    Courtesy of Vorshlag;

courtesy of Gandolf007;

The smaller and lighter engine pictured next to the Mod in bottom pic is also larger displacement.
    Last edited by BRAAP; 08-19-2012 at 08:30 PM.

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

My Cars
    z3
    That modular engine makes the LS look like a 1/2 scale replica.... geez!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    Do it. If it doesnt fit make it.

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    james, strange you make this thread as i was thinking about this swap myself today. go for it

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyM View Post
    Out of all the BMW swaps out there why? Why? Why? M54, S50, S52, S54? Why?
    because torque. regardless of how much $$$$ you put into an m5x or s5x, it will still be gutless from a dig, comparably speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAAP View Post
    courtesy of Gandolf007;

The smaller and lighter engine pictured next to the Mod in bottom pic is also larger displacement.
    that thing is huge!
    Last edited by ckpitt55; 08-20-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46 M3 ZCP
    Quote Originally Posted by ckpitt55 View Post
    james, strange you make this thread as i was thinking about this swap myself today. go for it

because torque. regardless of how much $$$$ you put into an m5x or s5x, it will still be gutless from a dig, comparably speaking.

that thing is huge!
    Touche.
    06 M3 ZCP: RPI Scoops, AFe Stage 2 Intake, Power Flex Urethane Bushings, Shark Injector, VAC Ultra Light UDP's, Turner Solid Diff Bushing, UUC Evo 3, and BAV Auto CDV mod

E46 M3 links:

E46 M3 wheel/tire fitment guide

SSV1 vs SSV2 header dyno

Race Tires!!!

Want to join BMWCCA?

Evolve Tune+Alpha N+Euro Header Dyno, +46 rwhp

My Cars
    88 TT Mustang
    Anything can be made to fit. You're probably going to want a hydroboost setup or a remote booster though as that will help some of the clearances. Also you're going to more than likely have to do a 3 joint steering shaft.

As far as weight, yeah the 03/04 Cobra engines are heavy with their Iron blocks and all that Eaton on top. If you want a light weight package you could try this,
    http://www.modularheadshop.com/Artic...2V%20combo.htm aluminum Mark 8 block and 2V heads should make it nice and light, yet not as wide as a 4 valve.

Otherwise you could go 3V, or if you got the cash go with the new 4 valve 5.0's. I can't wait till those start coming down in price, same width as a 2V, loads more power, and all aluminum.

My Cars
    1997 528i. 2k tacoma 4x4
    It will fit. I'm in process of doing this swap. Measurement wise the straight six with all the accessories attached is an inch wider than the 4.6 modular motor and is significantly shorter aswell. Motor/tranny comparison length between the 2 is within an inch or two I believe.. I would have to double check but tear pretty close.

Hi guys, I don't know if you remember the MG ZT or rover 75 range of cars but they were an joint venture between MG River and BMW which used BMW Diesel engines and Rover K series engines BUT they also made a special V8 rear wheel drive platform, BMW systems and used a Ford 4.6 V8 with 260 bhp. They didn't use the quad cam engine as it was too big.

Where this might help you is the joining together of the Ford engine management to the rest of the BMW body systems, I know people in the UK have loads of issues with incompatibility issues?

My Cars
    2001 Stang GT
    The other issue with the newer Ford modular motors is they are on a 90 degree plane... aka from one cylinder bank to the other is 90 degrees, meaning it is also wider. The cams at the top of the head not only make it taller but with the greater angle of the block they stick out even further.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAAP View Post
    These pics below, pushrod V8 next to the Mod, note the size difference due to the added camshafts. LSx is just a skosch wider than the 302's pictured.
    Courtesy of Vorshlag;
    I realize this was several years ago, but it seems kind of shady to cut off someone else's watermark and add your own.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
    I realize this was several years ago, but it seems kind of shady to cut off someone else's watermark and add your own.

Well... normally I'd agree. But that's not the whole story.

You see, I worked at Houston Performance in 1999. It was me, Mike Sen-Roy, and Erik Koenig who decided to take that picture. We shot it with Erik's digital camera (at the time that was "new tech" not everyone had), while Mike and I wheeled these two motors next to each other. I took the digital file (I think it was on a floppy disc, from this old Kodak digital camera) cropped the image, added the "copyright" and "houston performance" bits on my PC using some crude graphics software from back then. I was an early adopter of digital files, watermarking, etc. And I also hosted that image on my own web page, which at the time was called "Terry's Performance Page". In 2002 my personal car web page, which had weights and images I had measured while at HP and elsewhere, became vorshlag.com. Since I had lost the original digital file I just cropped out the hp bits and added Vorshlag. Steve, the owner at Houston Performance, gives zero f*cks about this. Feel free to call him, and mention my name - we're still friendly.

So, while you were sharp to catch the "cropped" watermark, it was a situation where it was really ... kinda sorta my image, regardless.

Cheers,
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    What a story! That's pretty cool, and that picture has certainly made the rounds on the internet, used to set straight anyone wanting to swap a 4.6 into...well...anything.

My Cars
    which one?

I did it 15 years ago just sayin