Thread: Coding Steering Angle Sensor on an E39

My Cars
    2000 528i, 2003 M3

Coding Steering Angle Sensor on an E39

2000 e39, recently installed a used ABS module and coded that using NCS Expert, v3.1.0. ABS and brake lights are off and ABS seems to work. INPA v5 will read the ABS module and the only error is:

97 steering angle adjustment necessary

When I try to access the steering angle sensor from INPA I get:

sys-0012: identification error

I have DIS v44 working and can read codes, etc. I can run the DSC diagnostics and see the code:

61 steering angle sensor, identification

If I run the LEW diagnostics then I get:

Unknown control module variant. Fault number: 200.102

I tried to code the LEW but that fails saying the control unit does not respond.

I bought a used steering angle sensor, same part number as the original, and get the same errors as above.

At this point I'm thinking not a steering angle sensor issue, seems unlikely to have two completely failed sensors that will not talk to the diagnostics. I found the pinout for the connector and verified constant 12v, switched 12v, and ground are being provided to the sensor.

I had the same sensor error with my previous ABS module. Am I correct in thinking the ABS module does not play a role here? From what I have read it seems the diagnostics should be talking directly to the steering angle sensor over the CAN, not through the ABS module.

My latest guess is that maybe both of the steering angle sensors are new enough that DIS v44 does not recognize them? That would seem to fit the unknown variant error message. I do not know the age of either of the sensors and I do not see any date markings on the sensors. Should I start down the SSS/Progman path thinking that the newer software may be able to code the sensors? Anyone have other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Hmm, I see an acronyms post indicating that LEW is incorrect, the post defines LEW as lateral acceleration sensor. However, in DIS v44, under Diagnostics and Chassis I see "LEW Steering-Angle Sensor". Anyone know why the two conflict?

I would post the url but I am not allowed to do so.
    Last edited by strysnie; 08-12-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    530DA E39 Touring Pack M
    You need to calibrate your sensors using DIS with a car with DSC you need to calibrate 3 sensors.

Sorry it's in french

The sensors calibration is located to service function => Chassis => DCS 5.7 => Calibration, sensors.
    Last edited by Seb530DA; 08-14-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 528i, 2003 M3
    Thanks, yes that is what I am trying to do, from that menu I can calibrate the rate of rotation sensor and the lateral acceleration sensor. However, I get an error when I try to calibrate the Steering-angle sensor:

B3450_57LWS/Message_04...Calibration of the steering angle sensor could not be carried out...

I went back to component selection->Operations->Stability control->Steering-angle sensor->Allocation, sensor/vehicle but that fails with the error:

Diagnosis bus error
    Unknown control module variant.
    Fault number: 200.102

I also went to the Coding/programming menu and chose item 58 LEW, but that fails saying the control unit does not respond.

So I _think_ I have tried the correct coding and calibration procedures. I'm wondering what exactly the unknown control module variant message means. Perhaps it means the control module is newer than DIS v44? Or perhaps it just means it cannot talk to the module, hard to tell.
    Last edited by strysnie; 08-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.

My Cars
    530DA E39 Touring Pack M
    It seems that your steering angle sensor is defective I had the same problem on a 2004 E53 X5. Cost me 178€ for a brand new...

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Did you try to calibrate it using INPA? Under "Special Tests" is a "E46 Steering Angle Calibration" that works for E39's also. It worked when on my E39.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Turns out that works on any of the Bosch units of this ilk.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2000 528i, 2003 M3
    I agree might be a defective sensor, I guess I will try another. I am getting the same errors with two different sensors, the one that was on the car and a used one that was claimed to be working.

I did try the e46 calibration through INPA but it did not work either, sorry I do not recall the error message.

I had thought it would be unlikely to have 2 failed sensors but then DIS and INPA seem to work fine on everything else.

My Cars
    530DA E39 Touring Pack M
    If you are getting the same error with two different sensors, that sounds your ABS/DSC module is probably defective.
    Take a look to this thread.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1877592

My Cars
    2000 528i, 2003 M3
    Oh that would make me unhappy, but I suppose it is a possibility. Thank you for following along on this thread and offering help.

I've already been through sending out one ABS/DSC module for a rebuild which did not work and then finding a (presumed) working used module. The module I have now is clear of any codes except for the steering sensor code. ABS and brake lights are off and ABS does work.

To add to the obscurity of this problem my old module would communicate with INPA and DIS and at that time I was getting the same errors for the steering angle sensor. However, it was also showing some other errors associated with the module that went away when I replaced it.

Does anyone know if DIS is going direct to the steering angle sensor over the CAN to code and/or calibrate it? Or does it go through the ABS/DSC module to get to the steering angle sensor? I was assuming the former because the steering sensor is an independently programmable module in DIS, and is connected to the CAN, not the ABS module harness. Perhaps my assumption is incorrect.

My Cars
    530DA E39 Touring Pack M
    Can you check with a multimeter if you have 12v on the steering sensor wheels connector ?
    On A E46 ///M3 the ground wire was cut in the loom.

My Cars
    2000 528i, 2003 M3
    Yes I do have constant 12V, switched 12V, and ground present on 3 of the pins.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this yet but I did some testing yesterday using my 2003 e46. I could recalibrate the stock sensor on the e46 using DIS and could view the steering angle. I unplugged that and plugged in my e39 sensor, DIS did not see it at all. When I tried to code it I got the same messages as before, when trying to calibrate:

B3450_57LWS/Message_04...Calibration of the steering angle sensor could not be carried out...

When trying to code using component selection->Operations->Stability control->Steering-angle sensor->Allocation, sensor/vehicle:

Diagnosis bus error

From coding/programming menu chose item 58 LEW, fails saying the control unit does not respond.

So I am thinking the ABS/DSC module on the e39 is not part of the problem since I get the same symptoms when the sensor is plugged in to the e46. I've had the e46 since new and it has never had any ABS/DSC issues so I believe all systems/sensors/wiring are working on that car. I did not remove the e46 sensor to try it on the e39, I may do that but the removal/installation procedure is quite a bit more involved for the e46 vs e39.

What I am still unsure of is whether or not I have two bad sensors or if the sensors are newer than my version of DIS and thus DIS does not recognize them. The "unknown module variant" message seems to imply that DIS connected to the module but did not like what it saw in the identification data.

The e39 is a 2000 but I bought it this year and do not know the history, so the steering sensor could have been replaced in the past with a newer part. And the other sensor I bought was from a 1999 e39 but from a breaker so I have no idea if that was the original part for that car or had been replaced.

A question - does anyone know for certain that a used steering angle sensor can be recoded to work with another car? Something I saw in DIS indicated that coding was "for new modules only."

My Cars
    2000 528i, 2003 M3
    Update - I managed to get though the amazingly long and obscure process of installing Progman/SSS only to get a similar error "no response from control unit." Next step is to order a new sensor to see if that makes a difference.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    but now you have this SSS magic no ?

Here is my thread for the same

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1360533

one more comment
    It maybe your alignment is out of specification
    GL
    Last edited by champaign777; 09-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i, 2003 M3
    Problem solved, I bought a new steering angle sensor and was able to code/calibrate that just fine. No more error messages and DSC is working as expected.

Thanks to all of you who posted with your advice and experiences.

My Cars
    1995 540I and 525I
    Quote Originally Posted by strysnie View Post
    Yes I do have constant 12V, switched 12V, and ground present on 3 of the pins.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this yet but I did some testing yesterday using my 2003 e46. I could recalibrate the stock sensor on the e46 using DIS and could view the steering angle. I unplugged that and plugged in my e39 sensor, DIS did not see it at all. When I tried to code it I got the same messages as before, when trying to calibrate:

When trying to code using component selection->Operations->Stability control->Steering-angle sensor->Allocation, sensor/vehicle:

Diagnosis bus error

From coding/programming menu chose item 58 LEW, fails saying the control unit does not respond.

So I am thinking the ABS/DSC module on the e39 is not part of the problem since I get the same symptoms when the sensor is plugged in to the e46. I've had the e46 since new and it has never had any ABS/DSC issues so I believe all systems/sensors/wiring are working on that car. I did not remove the e46 sensor to try it on the e39, I may do that but the removal/installation procedure is quite a bit more involved for the e46 vs e39.

What I am still unsure of is whether or not I have two bad sensors or if the sensors are newer than my version of DIS and thus DIS does not recognize them. The "unknown module variant" message seems to imply that DIS connected to the module but did not like what it saw in the identification data.

The e39 is a 2000 but I bought it this year and do not know the history, so the steering sensor could have been replaced in the past with a newer part. And the other sensor I bought was from a 1999 e39 but from a breaker so I have no idea if that was the original part for that car or had been replaced.

A question - does anyone know for certain that a used steering angle sensor can be recoded to work with another car? Something I saw in DIS indicated that coding was "for new modules only."
    Must be recoded, I believe you must start with SSS, get the VIN coded to the SAS then clear errors, go to DIS and DSC5.7 and calibrate SAS.
    I have a 2003 530 with DSC and lost the DSC module from heat, got it repaired and made a heat shield for it.
    About 6 months later I started to get the DSC light on and found that the SAS couldn't find 90 degrees.
    I removed it, opened it up and found one of the brushes broken off.

I found a thread where a guy bought a known good uses SAS opened it up and swapped the brush assembly to his original SAS thus eliminating the need to recode with SSS.
    Be mindful of the brush assembly position from your old unit and put a witness mark on the housing and the brush spindle, duplicate the mark on your new unit.
    By swapping the spindles you eliminate the need to recode, just recalibrate.
    I purchased a new SAS from German Auto Supply for 160.
    I have the same problem where DIS won't recognize the SAS via DSC5.7.
    So I used some simple logic and an angle indicator.
    First I turned the wheel ccw 45 degrees, uncoupled the steering shaft and rotated the wheel to 0 degree position.
    Removed the SAS swapped the spindles and used INPA to watch the steering angle, set it as close to 0 degrees as possible and reinstalled the SAS.
    With the SAS installed I rotated the wheel ccw 45 degrees and reassembled the steering shaft and tightened the bolt.
    Before reassembling the bottom side of the dash I drove a mile to make sure the steering wheel was still at 0 position.
    Once confirmed I reassembled the dash.
    Started the car, turned hard left and held for 2 seconds, turned hard right and held for 2 seconds then back hard left for 2 sec and then to zero and turned the car off.
    Removed the key and restarted, DSC light was still on until I started to drive then it went out and hasn't come on since.