Thread: Auxiliary Fan Resistor Bypass (always high speed?)

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert

Auxiliary Fan Resistor Bypass (always high speed?)

I've seen some posts about people bypassing the low speed and only running hig speed on the fans - so a question -

I tried bypassing the resistor today and quickly blew the 15 amp fuse in spot #3. If that's the only thing on that fuse, could I just put a 30 amp fuse in spot #3 and bypass the low speed resistor?

I'd like to see if I can get better cooling from the 134a.

Also - the fan makes a bit of a racket at low speed but not so much on high speed. I'll need a new one soon, but in the meantime if I can get some cooler air and less noise, I'm all for it.

Thanks!

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by beemie96 View Post
    I've seen some posts about people bypassing the low speed and only running hig speed on the fans - so a question -

I tried bypassing the resistor today and quickly blew the 15 amp fuse in spot #3. If that's the only thing on that fuse, could I just put a 30 amp fuse in spot #3 and bypass the low speed resistor?

I'd like to see if I can get better cooling from the 134a.

Also - the fan makes a bit of a racket at low speed but not so much on high speed. I'll need a new one soon, but in the meantime if I can get some cooler air and less noise, I'm all for it.

Thanks!
    Not only CAN you swap in a 30A fuse for the low speed fan but you MUST. With the exception of the resistor the 2 circuits are the same so you can run that way as long as you dont mind the noise or the theoretically shorter fan life.

I do
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert
    That's what I thought - thanks! I blew that 15 amp fuse in about 2 seconds when I tried it. I figured the rest was the same - so I will bypass that sucker as soon as I can get a pack of fuses.