Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evans coolant in the E38, impressed!

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

Evans coolant in the E38, impressed!

I just came back from the garage after converting my car to waterless coolant i empty the system completely using the compressed air while the car is still hot so so that gave me dry system
    And now i have no pressure at all here is the link for who don't believe it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Cg...e_gdata_player

+ i have a feeling that the engine sound is quieter inside the car

My Cars
    On the front page;

Increasing the Operating temperature means the fan does not have to run as much.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB7
    On the front page;

Increasing the Operating temperature means the fan does not have to run as much.

No that's because i was reving the engine for an hour to take the air out
    Even if not that is normal

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by zaherr View Post
    No that's because i was reving the engine for an hour to take the air out
    Even if not that is normal
    I was talking about EVANS front page, not your video.

I read info on their page, and they keep talking about how EVANS has much higher boiling point, which is a good thing(according to them). But at the same time they talk about you no longer need to run the main cooling fan as often to cool down the engine/cooling system. Thus your engine now runs hotter all the time.

Any cooling system designed for water-based coolant gains (without any hardware changes) a "reserve capacity" when Evans Heavy Duty Coolant is installed because Heavy Duty Coolant does not have to be kept below the boiling point of water. Safe increases in coolant temperatures mean that the radiator is hotter and that heat transfer into the ambient air is improved.
    http://www.evanscooling.com/heavy-duty/benefits/
    Last edited by KGB7; 08-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport
    I don't see how changing your coolant has any impact on what engine temperature the car tries to maintain. It's still going to turn the fan on and off at the same temperatures. Unless Evans just makes the car run cooler, period.
    2000 740i Sport Titanium Silver/Black

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    I've used it for years. Love it. No pressure means my expansion tank lasts forever now.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    I did further reading and understand how it works. They sell thermostat and program for fleet vehicles to change at what temp the fan turns ON. So fleet vehilces will run hoter, but its still safe since there almost no pressure do to higher boiling point.

On normal cars, it will run at same temp as it would with normal coolant, but much safer and better in the long run.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I did further reading and understand how it works. They sell thermostat and program for fleet vehicles to change at what temp the fan turns ON. So fleet vehilces will run hoter, but its still safe since there almost no pressure do to higher boiling point.

On normal cars, it will run at same temp as it would with normal coolant, but much safer and better in the long run.
    I did not change any thing
    All fine the temp 107c°-113c° max
    When driving on the highway 110c°

In the video i was reving the engine with the car is stopped for a long time
    But in second it goes back to 110
    Last edited by zaherr; 08-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 1990 535i
    I just came back from the garage after converting my car to waterless coolant i empty the system completely using the compressed air while the car is still hot so so that gave me dry system
    And now i have no pressure at all here is the link for who don't believe it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Cg...e_gdata_player

+ i have a feeling that the engine sound is quieter inside the car
    So did you adjust the thermostat and the fan temp? If so how?

Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by ATrain91

So did you adjust the thermostat and the fan temp? If so how?

Thanks!
    No nothing
    Just flush the system with extreme high pressure air when the car is still hot

No
    Its acting as normal like but no pressure
    + it has more surface tension which means more cooling .
    Last edited by zaherr; 08-11-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    No?
    And what did i say?

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    No?
    And what did i say?
    You said that the car is going to run hotter
    Right?
    Lol
    Last edited by zaherr; 08-11-2012 at 08:58 PM.

My Cars
    You said that the car is going to run hotter
    Right?
    Lol
    I did further reading and understand how it works. They sell thermostat and program for fleet vehicles to change at what temp the fan turns ON. So fleet vehicles will run hotter, but its still safe since there almost no pressure do to higher boiling point.

http://www.evanscooling.com/heavy-duty/benefits/ Heavy duty diesel engines.

• When you buy new equipment, specify Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant, 215°F thermostats, and ECM programming to provide for the following temperatures:
      Fan-on: 230°F Fan-off: 217°F De-rating: 235°F Auto shutdown: 240°F.
    • Your existing fleet may be retrofitted to obtain most of the benefits. Use of a ResistorPac (external to the ECM) can provide elevated fan-on and elevated de-rating temperatures.
    Last edited by KGB7; 08-11-2012 at 09:09 PM.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

http://www.evanscooling.com/heavy-duty/benefits/ Heavy duty diesel engines.

[*]When you buy new equipment, specify Evans Waterless Heavy Duty Coolant, 215°F thermostats, and ECM programming to provide for the following temperatures:
    Fan-on: 230°F Fan-off: 217°F De-rating: 235°F Auto shutdown: 240°F.[*]Your existing fleet may be retrofitted to obtain most of the benefits. Use of a ResistorPac (external to the ECM) can provide elevated fan-on and elevated de-rating temperatures.
    If the fan is electrical in this car that is possible

I wish i can make the car run cooler
    That will save a lot of problems that's caused by the heat

[quote="zaherr"]

If the fan is electrical in this car that is possible

I am running the high performance coolant
    Last edited by zaherr; 08-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.

My Cars
    Lol...my apalogies for the confusion, lets try this again.

Hey dude! That looks like a great product!
    Did you know, its been around for 16 years? Jay Leno has been using it for 14 years. I wish i knew about it sooner, would have saved me money on past cooling repairs.

How did you find about EVANS coolant?

My Cars
    1998 740il
    What is the coldest temps you get in the winter season? How do you think it will affect the heating unit inside where you & your passengers occupy?

My Cars
    1998 740i : 6-1-14 311K
    Let me try to understand Evans coolant.

It has a higher boiling point, yet the engine temperature will rise as normal and the sensors and fans will operate normally, yet the fan will not run as often due to its superior cooling properties. With no pressure build up, due to the high boiling point temperature, there should be no overheating, no bursting hoses, and no cracking plastic areas of the radiator and overflow reservoir (if your cooling system is up to par).

Lastly, because there is no water used with the Evans coolant, the motor and radiator will not be susceptible to corrosion. The Evans coolant can out last the life of the engine and you never have to do a coolant flush.

Sign me up!
    Last edited by likedatyalll; 08-12-2012 at 07:51 PM.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Dark Jedi
    What is the coldest temps you get in the winter season? How do you think it will affect the heating unit inside where you & your passengers occupy?
    I didn't try it in winter yet but i did try the climate heater is working as normal

Quote Originally Posted by likedatyalll
    Let me try to understand Evans coolant.

It has a higher boiling point, yet the engine temperature will rise as normal and the sensors and fans will operate normally, yet the fan will not run as often due to its superior cooling properties. With no pressure build up, due to the high boiling point temperature, there should be no overheating, no bursting hoses, and no cracking plastic areas of the radiator and overflow reservoir (if your cooling system is up to par).

Lastly, because there is no water used with the Evans coolant, the motor and radiator will not be susceptible to corrosion. The Evans coolant can out last the life of the engine and you never have to do a coolant flush.

Sign me up!
    Thank you
    100% right
    +the Evans coolant looked like oil form and its not thick

I the most important thing is to get all the water out because water and oil don't mix specially a hot oil
    Last edited by zaherr; 08-13-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 740IL Sport
    Evans is great! I can't express how much I love this coolant - except for the price.

Couple of things:

This coolant doesn't change the way that the fan or thermostat operate. They still come on and off, open and close at the same temperatures.
    The cooling system works the exact same way (except with no pressure) and at the exact same temperatures as factory.
    When they mention running at an increased temperature, they mean that you can run the engine hotter if you choose by some method of control of coolant temperature (programming, or hotter thermostat...). It's also worth noting that they are primarily referring to large diesel applications.

This coolant isn't an oil. It is still a form of Glycol.
    The reasoning for removing all of the water in the system is so as not to contaminate the Evans coolant and lower it's boiling point.
    Last edited by JaxMustang50; 08-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    you used 2 gallons for the whole system?

i saw your car was idling at 116C, which is 241F............sounds dangerous for an engine's HG and aluminum heads

my old E38 never got past 111C (232F) in hot weather with the A/C on.... The thermostat is 105C (221F)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxMustang50 View Post
    Evans is great! I can't express how much I love this coolant - except for the price.

Couple of things:

This coolant doesn't change the way that the fan or thermostat operate. They still come on and off, open and close at the same temperatures.
    The cooling system works the exact same way (except with no pressure) and at the exact same temperatures as factory.
    When they mention running at an increased temperature, they mean that you can run the engine hotter if you choose by some method of control of coolant temperature (programming, or hotter thermostat...). It's also worth noting that they are primarily referring to large diesel applications.

This coolant isn't an oil. It is still a form of Glycol.
    The reasoning for removing all of the water in the system is so as not to contaminate the Evans coolant and lower it's boiling point.

essentially, yea.......I run Propylene Glycol in my Desmoquattro (specifically "Engine Ice")....It's great because tracks are happy. Ethylene Glycol is very slippery like ice when poured on race track ( VERY bad for motorcycles) but propylene glycol is pretty much as slippery as water (still bad for bikes, but the same level as water)

GSXRliterbikz is right in that no pressure is good for cooling systems' plastics.
    I don't think BMW plastic is bad. I think BMW plastic is just as good as any other but due to the fact that bimmer cooling systems have such high opening pressures (2bar = 30psi) that the plastic gets worn out MUCH faster than other OEMs' systems which tend to be at 20psi tops usually.

I can see the merit of this coolant, especially if it's almost as good a coolant as water. Water is the best coolant you can use. Its problem lies in its low boiling point (only 212F) and high freezing point (32F), which is the ONLY reason ehtylene glycol is necessary to raise and lower those temps respectively
    Last edited by das borgen; 08-13-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    basically the ONLY change is boiling point..boiling builds pressure..Evans product doesnt boil...temperature stay the same, minus the boil...got it...NOW, can the Engine withstand it? (temp wise)..from what i see here, E38 owners say YES =) ...

..onto my mod list it goes...
    E70 LCI 35d
    E90 LCI 328i xDrive

E39 528i Sport/5
    E28 535is
    E84 X1 35i M Sport package
    E38 740i Sport
    E39 M5 LMB/Blk

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen
    you used 2 gallons for the whole system?

i saw your car was idling at 116C, which is 241F............sounds dangerous for an engine's HG and aluminum heads

my old E38 never got past 111C (232F) in hot weather with the A/C on.... The thermostat is 105C (221F)

essentially, yea.......I run Propylene Glycol in my Desmoquattro (specifically "Engine Ice")....It's great because tracks are happy. Ethylene Glycol is very slippery like ice when poured on race track ( VERY bad for motorcycles) but propylene glycol is pretty much as slippery as water (still bad for bikes, but the same level as water)

GSXRliterbikz is right in that no pressure is good for cooling systems' plastics.
    I don't think BMW plastic is bad. I think BMW plastic is just as good as any other but due to the fact that bimmer cooling systems have such high opening pressures (2bar = 30psi) that the plastic gets worn out MUCH faster than other OEMs' systems which tend to be at 20psi tops usually.

I can see the merit of this coolant, especially if it's almost as good a coolant as water. Water is the best coolant you can use. Its problem lies in its low boiling point (only 212F) and high freezing point (32F), which is the ONLY reason ehtylene glycol is necessary to raise and lower those temps respectively
    No it took about 3.6 gallon

The temp was high because i was reving the engine for long time to take all the air out of the heater circuit

The video that you are looking at is just to show that there is no pressure in the system when the car is hot
    Last edited by zaherr; 08-13-2012 at 04:23 PM.

My Cars
    X5 & 540i Msport
    Looking for any long term users of this product for the opinions. Any issues? How is it in Winter, summer etc.

Thanks
    Mike

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Zerex G-05 Coolant in my e38 = Happy face for 9 years of ownership
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2001 750iL Sport
    I've had Evans in my 750 for a few years now, no complaints at all. It's been through both Florida summers and Colorado winters.

Buck - 2001 750iL
    3.15 Sport Rear Differential - M-Sport Steering Wheel - Bi-Xenon Headlights
    B&G Lowering Springs - M-Sport Seats - 15mm Spacers - Muffler Delete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast