Thread: P1161 After Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 M62TU

P1161 After Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Hello Everybody,

I did DIY valve cover gasket replacement today. Following the guide here, and using the pop-up fuel rail method here.

After reinstalling everything, and drove for about 20 miles, I got the following SEL with code P1161.

P1161 - Fuel Trim Additive Bank 2 High

I must did something wrong.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong, and how to solve the problem?

Is bank 2 the driver side?

Culprit is a vacuum leak?

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by knite75; 08-10-2012 at 05:16 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yep and yep. It's very easy to not get all the injectors back sealed in the holes.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 M62TU
    Do you think the vacuum is from improper seating of valve gasket or fuel injector?

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw
    Yep and yep. It's very easy to not get all the injectors back sealed in the holes.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    While it could be either, the injector is the easier to create and fix. I just had to wiggle and push #8 in the time it happened to me.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 M62TU
    When I had a closer look at the fuel injectors this morning, there seem to be liquid around them (more like wet sludges). Do you know if that's gas or oil?

Also, is it advisable for me to replace the fuel injector o-rings?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    While it could be either, the injector is the easier to create and fix. I just had to wiggle and push #8 in the time it happened to me.

My Cars
    00 540i Sport&CEL pckg
    I had the same problem. My culprit was a torn oring on one of the fuel injectors. If you cannot get to the dealership, you can use a oring from a 5.4L ford motor. It works perfectly and much cheaper.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 M62TU
    Thank you.

Do I need to completely remove the fuel injectors to replace the O rings? Or can I still replace them, while I have them suspended in the air, but attached to the fuel rail?

Also, do you know whether the torn o rings are causing a high peach buzzing sound as well?

Quote Originally Posted by 540Indy View Post
    I had the same problem. My culprit was a torn oring on one of the fuel injectors. If you cannot get to the dealership, you can use a oring from a 5.4L ford motor. It works perfectly and much cheaper.
    Last edited by knite75; 08-10-2012 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    00 540i Sport&CEL pckg
    Quote Originally Posted by knite75 View Post
    Thank you.

Do I need to completely remove the fuel injectors to replace the O rings? Or can I still replace them, while I have them suspended in the air, but attached to the fuel rail?

Also, do you know whether the torn o rings are causing a high peach buzzing sound as well?

I would suggest removing all the injectors and replacing all the orings while you have the rail off. And yes, I had a moaning buzzing sound when the oring on my injector was torn. I could smell a strong odor of fuel.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 M62TU
    Do I need any special tools to remove or install the o rings? Do I need to remove the tips? Can't find any DIY.

I found a DIY on Pelican Parts website, but it's for e36.

Quote Originally Posted by 540Indy View Post
    I would suggest removing all the injectors and replacing all the orings while you have the rail off. And yes, I had a moaning buzzing sound when the oring on my injector was torn. I could smell a strong odor of fuel.

My Cars
    00 540i Sport&CEL pckg
    Quote Originally Posted by knite75 View Post
    Do I need any special tools to remove or install the o rings? Do I need to remove the tips? Can't find any DIY.

I found a DIY on Pelican Parts website, but it's for e36.
    I just used my fingers. Just make sure that you keep the injector free from debris and lubricate the orings.

I would try rf900's advice first. He is the one who informed me about the Ford o-rings. He knows his stuff.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    You need to determine what is puddling around the injectors. If it's fuel, then stop and replace all the o-rings. There are two per injector. The top ones seal fuel, the bottom ones seal air/vacuum. As said, Ford happens to use Bosch injectors in lots of applications, and thus the injector orings are identical to ours.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 M62TU
    Okay, as advised, I replaced the upper and lower O rings of each fuel injector on bank 2(driver) today. Meticulously reinstalled. I test drove around town (about 25 miles), and the same CEL P1161 Fuel Trim Additive Bank 2 High appeared again.

What gives?

Should I turn my attention to the valve cover gasket on the driver side? Try to remove and reinstall it again?

This is frustrating.

Okay, as advised, I replaced the upper and lower O rings of each fuel injector on bank 2(driver) today. Meticulously reinstalled. I test drove around town (about 25 miles), and the CEL P1161 Fuel Trim Additive Bank 2 High appeared again.

What gives?

Should I turn my attention to the valve cover gasket on the driver side? Try to remove and reinstall it again?

This is frustrating.
    Last edited by knite75; 08-11-2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E60 550i
    did you use gasket sealer on the corner joints of the half moon portion on the back of the valve cover gasket? it likes to leak from that area. Also, you should have replaced all 16 orings instead of just bank 2's. now it will be the same job again in the near future. also did you replace the cover nut grommets? it will leak from those often.
    Alpine E36 98 328i/5 - Sold
    Arctik E36 95 M3/2/5 - Sold
    Cosmos E36 98 M3/4/5 - Sold
    Boston E39 98 528i - Sold
    Cosmos E39 97 528i - Sold
    Cosmos E39 98 540i6M Sport- Sold
    Titanium E53 01 X5 3.0L - Current
    Titanium E60 05 545i Sport - Current
    Monaco E60 06 550i Sport - Current

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 M62TU
    Hi. Used the VCG kit includes the grommets. Yes, I applied sealer at all the six points.

Today, I sprayed carb cleaner all over and couldn't detect any leaks.

If I need to open the valve cover to reseat the gasket, do I need to use a new gasket or can I still use the two days old gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctikz
    did you use gasket sealer on the corner joints of the half moon portion on the back of the valve cover gasket? it likes to leak from that area. Also, you should have replaced all 16 orings instead of just bank 2's. now it will be the same job again in the near future. also did you replace the cover nut grommets? it will leak from those often.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6 M62TU
    Thank you everyone for your help!

The culprit was the valve cover gasket (left driver side). I removed the cover, and reseated the gaskets. All is well now.

With hindsight, I should have removed the cabin air filter housing. It would have given me the ample space needed to properly maneuver the the cover into place.