Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS/DSC Module Replacement

My Cars

ABS/DSC Module Replacement

Ok so I guess my ABS/DSC module is on its way out. It works on and off but mostly off now.

I contacted module masters and my DSC module isn't repairable. I was going to try and repair it myself because it looked pretty easy. So I'm going to order a used one.

Now my question is.. do I have to order the same exact model number? On the phone she said I could just get one that is the same type but the model number doesn't have to be exact. I know I'll have to code it for my car so it looks like ill be ordering a GT1 cable as well.

My ABS module is 6759047 and my DSC pump is 34516759045.

Anyone who's had to replace theirs please chime in. Also did you have to bleed all the brake lines and stuff as well?

Also anyone know of a good DIY or any hints to remove this thing?

My Cars
    2000 323ci hellrot red
    Its a module, no bleeding of the brakes is requierd.
    Replace module, and recode to car.
    I replaced one in my e39 and just coding to the car was necessary.
    I believe a gt1 was used to code it.

My Cars
    I'm not sure how to get the module off without removing the dsc pump.

i couldnt see any screws holding the module onto the pump. i unplugged the wiring harness but it seems like the module is permanently attached to the hydraulic part.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...34698-5040.jpg

that what my module looks like
    Last edited by smeli; 08-09-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    I had the DSC module replaced on my old 328ci. I bought a new module from a salvage yard for something like $150 and then I paid BMW just under $200 to install and code it. Depends how much it's worth to you, but I'd rather have BMW take care of this one. It actually took them 3+ hours to recode my car. I guess the xenons were retrofitted after the car was built so that somehow made the coding a nightmare? Reasons like this one made me glad I just paid BMW. Just my 2 cents.

2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon | BC Racing Coils | VMR VB3's | Coby Wheel |
    (I Loan Valve Adjustment Tools! PM me...)

My Cars
    2002 325I
    I bought a used one and paid a guy to swap it for me. He wasn't able to program it. But after reading online, once I get my cable I can just program it myself.

You WILL need to bleed the brakes. The guy who did mine left my same pump and changed the module. But I think yours is the same as mine. Module comes off THROUGH the pump. Very unfortunate.

My Cars
    If I knew how to get the module off I dont think i'd really have that much of a problem. I just dont know how to get the module off :/

I got to the module in a few minutes but was stumped from then on.

If you look in the picture it doesnt show any screws that I can use to unscrew it.

Oh bummer

Thanks gatorshoes. I think i may let somebody do this one for me.
    Last edited by smeli; 08-09-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 325I
    Quote Originally Posted by smeli View Post
    If I knew how to get the module off I dont think i'd really have that much of a problem. I just dont know how to get the module off :/

I got to the module in a few minutes but was stumped from then on.

If you look in the picture it doesnt show any screws that I can use to unscrew it.

Oh bummer

Thanks gatorshoes. I think i may let somebody do this one for me.
    The back of the pump, theres a screw. You have to literally unscrew the module off of the pump. Watch out for brake fluid.

Also, my used one WITHOUT programming only left me a yellow brake light "if its the module causing that" so why not buy a used "or new" put it in yourself and have it programmed by an indy or BMW?

If you already bought the repair kit, and you feel like you can do it. Go for it. It's already broken right?

ALSO: Was your module on the right side under the brake fluid container?
    "Right side if you are infront of your car looking at it.
    Last edited by GATORSHOES; 08-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.

My Cars
    i dont have the repair kit. module masters said its not repairable. I was going to take it apart and resolder it, but i guess thats not possible with this one for whatever reason.

i've never bled brakes and im not sure if this is something id be comfortable doing. like what if i pull it apart and i reattach it and then my brakes dont work. :/

yeah if youre looking into the engine bay of my car its on the right underneath that container.

My Cars
    2002 325I
    i dont have the repair kit. module masters said its not repairable. I was going to take it apart and resolder it, but i guess thats not possible with this one for whatever reason.

i've never bled brakes and im not sure if this is something id be comfortable doing. like what if i pull it apart and i reattach it and then my brakes dont work. :/

yeah if youre looking into the engine bay of my car its on the right underneath that container.
    Yeah in the pic I already knew you had the same module.
    I was charged 300$ for it to be installed for me. When I saw where it was, there was no way I wanted to get down and do that in this heat. How did you manage? Was is a long process?

So what I myself recommend, is if you pulled it out yourself. You probably dont have brakes right now? From what I can tell, bleeding the brakes shouldn't be as hard as pulling that module. But I have NEVER done either. Look at some DIY on bleeding the brakes. Unless you are lucky and have a trailer you can pull it up on to take to someone who can bleed them for you? lol

As far as programming. roughly 60-130$ for a 5 minute job. Or do like im doing and order the tool online and program it yourself if your tech savvy.

My Cars
    i havent pulled it out. i got down to it and was stumped.

300 seems pretty steep just for it to be installed and not even programmed but what do i know haha.

i have a friend at a bmw dealership near me, but he doesnt seem like he wants to do it because its a pain haha.

My Cars
    2002 325I
    i havent pulled it out. i got down to it and was stumped.

300 seems pretty steep just for it to be installed and not even programmed but what do i know haha.

i have a friend at a bmw dealership near me, but he doesnt seem like he wants to do it because its a pain haha.
    I called around getting prices. They all said 125$ for install and program. Then asked which side it was on. After I said right side, they said oh im sorry, 300-400$ for that one. I have a local guy who's pretty nice. He was suppose to program but wasn't able to.

Also, do you have a working speedometer and odometer? When mine went out I lost both. As well as my MPG gauge.

My Cars
    yeah my speedometer and odometer work. everythign works except i just have the ABS/DSC/Brake light on.

Did you get your codes read? Are you sure it was the dsc module that caused yours?

My Cars
    2002 325I
    yeah my speedometer and odometer work. everythign works except i just have the ABS/DSC/Brake light on.

Did you get your codes read? Are you sure it was the dsc module that caused yours?
    Got my codes read, and the guy said it's either my rear right wheel speed sensor, or a 1200$ DSC module. So I replaced the sensor and it didn't fix my problem, then once I replaced my DSC with a used one, everything went back to normal, except I have a yellow BRAKE light. Could be I just need rear brakes?

Did you get your codes read? Could be a speed sensor for you... 80$ online.

My Cars
    yeah i used pa soft to check for the codes. internal control module failure under the abs section. or some code like that.

i wish it was a speed sensor.

My Cars
    '05 330i ZHP, '04 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
    I'd rather have BMW take care of this one. It actually took them 3+ hours to recode my car. I guess the xenons were retrofitted after the car was built so that somehow made the coding a nightmare? Reasons like this one made me glad I just paid BMW. Just my 2 cents.
    They're idiots if it took them 3 hours to program. It's a basic module replace and flash to accept the new part. Best bet is to take it to an indy shop, NOT the dealer. I have coded these modules using ISIS (the new GT-1/DISPlus) in 5 minutes and that's with a modified VO due to taillight retrofit.
    *** Former BMW master technician and custom tuner. Still maintain garage space at my house to work on customers' cars and can run full dealer-level diagnostics and programming for all model years through 2012 if you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. PM me.
    * Looking for a clean 2005-2006 M3, 6-speed manual, in Imola Red. PM me if you know of one for sale.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745i

Problem

My problem is that i changed two dsc modules and none of them corresponded to car. I can't see them on inpa or sss something is wrong and i don't know what, fuses and wiring looks good. Please help.

My Cars
    Now that's what I'm afraid of

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    Any luck yet?

I have the ABS, DSC, and brake lights illuminated as well on my wife's 330xi. It had the brake booster whistle, so I figured maybe that had some thing to do with it. Well today I replaced the brake booster with a new ATE from Pelican, the whistle is gone and I have a nice hard brake pedal again. I even cleaned the wheel speed sensors for good measure, and nothing, still have the lights.

Will the lights go off on their own? Or do I need to have them reset?

My Cars
    it went off by itself and its been off for a couple months. crossing my fingers it stays off.

you should get the bmw scanner and find out whats really causing it. or might as well get inpa/ncs so if you have to recode a new module you can just use that one.

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    These are going out more often. I would like to know which numbers fit which cars.
    the number you have on yours is different than mine according to that picture......is that the abs module out of your car....it shows that abs module to be 2000/2001

,,,,,,,,there are many part numbers for these and the modules all look the same.
    ,,,,,,,,the m cars and xi cars won't interchange with the rest of the 3 series.
    ,,,,,,,cars with run flat will not interchange with cars that do not have run fflat you must hav the dsc button to use the dsc module

bmw will not recognize ny of our part numbers. They will only recognize the 3451.6765453. I not believe any of our cars came with that. They use it for cars from 2001 to 9/2004 and that's the one ith no run flat.

the 2004 cars came with 3451.6765452

there is alo a 6765454. No idea what that goes on yet

my 2002 330ci with no run flat has 3451-6759045. I'm trying to find out if the 2004 module will fit my 2002.
    or which modules will interchange n can be coded
    Last edited by GLHX; 06-12-2013 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TunedBimmer View Post
    They're idiots if it took them 3 hours to program. It's a basic module replace and flash to accept the new part. Best bet is to take it to an indy shop, NOT the dealer. I have coded these modules using ISIS (the new GT-1/DISPlus) in 5 minutes and that's with a modified VO due to taillight retrofit.
    I have an Indy shop that I've being going to since I've gotten my car 9 years ago.

My module is having an internal error and I need to either repair/acquire a new one.

What programming/equipment would he need?

The fella working on my car doesn't have the programming to code it to my car.

You said an ISIS program or such, i'd like to be able to set the guy up if possible as a mutual favor bc he's been taking care of me for so long.

I have a 2002 325ci , and i live 45 minutes outside of new orleans.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide, i really don't want to go to Peake, they are rough....

My Cars
    2002 3.30CI
    I'm not sure how to get the module off without removing the dsc pump.

i couldnt see any screws holding the module onto the pump. i unplugged the wiring harness but it seems like the module is permanently attached to the hydraulic part.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...34698-5040.jpg

that what my module looks like
    I have similar module with two bolts and it can be removed without removing the hydraulics or losing any brake fluid. Have someone pump the car brakes while you begin to remove the two bolts on the master cylinder that attach to the brake booster. The master cylinder can be carefully slid out of the booster a few inches and tilted to the left to make more space to reach the top ABS modulebolt (T25) next to the battery box. Both bolts on the control module are T25. It also helps to remove the two 10mm bracket bolts on the ABS modulefor some movement. I watched an experienced mechanic do this and I would not have felt that comfortable. You are applying some pressure to the brake lines, but it is doable in about 1-1.5 hours. Easier with two people and take your time when finally removing the control module on the bottom from the rest of the unit. Mine is on the way to BBA Reman and hopefully they can repair it. This is what mine is:

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/D...edProduct=2503

My Cars
    330ci
    @ddl02330ci - Was BBA Reman able to get the module repaired and you got it all working? I live in your area and was wondering if you could PM me with the mechanic's info as my module is bad too and I'm getting ridiculous quotes from mechanics near me to replace it. Any more info you could provide me would be amazing. Thanks for any help!

My Cars
    2008 328i
    I'm trying to get a use disc module for my 2008 328i . Does the model number have to be the same ? Because I saw a lot of them for e90 but the model number is different. Please help

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram1e View Post
    I'm trying to get a use disc module for my 2008 328i . Does the model number have to be the same ? Because I saw a lot of them for e90 but the model number is different. Please help
    Use the last 7 digits of your VIN on realoem.com to get the part number, then search ebay. Be aware that an ABS or DSC module will need to be coded to the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast