Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still rough idle. Codes P1088 & P1089

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46

Intermediate help: MAF failure?

Take no, that I have a throttle body week, which I am fixing in two days. But, we got everything replaced, and now my engine chokes up, my car will shake at low rpm's. But when I drive, it acts just like a pro. I will take a video, and posted to YouTube, and link it of my muffler choking up just as it is. What is the issue?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWt3qm8UbQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Bump
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 07-20-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    make sure you reconnected the ccv line firmly to the valve cover. also did you change the spark plugs at the same time? did you properly torque everything and was your old vcg completely plasticized? mine was and shattered so i had to pick small and large chunks out of my engine when i took it off.

also check for oil leaking out and possibly into your spark plug wells. also look at your spark plug boots to make sure they are okay
    Last edited by smeli; 07-20-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46
    Did you make sure not to mix up the coil packs?

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBMW94
    Did you make sure not to mix up the coil packs?
    Sure did. That's what I was extremely anal.
    Is that a symptom?

Quote Originally Posted by smeli
    make sure you reconnected the ccv line firmly to the valve cover. also did you change the spark plugs at the same time? did you properly torque everything and was your old vcg completely plasticized? mine was and shattered so i had to pick small and large chunks out of my engine when i took it off.

also check for oil leaking out and possibly into your spark plug wells. also look at your spark plug boots to make sure they are okay
    Do you mean the line that attaches to the top of the cover outside the engine, and also my intake boot has a leak in it, and we sprayed cleaner down in it when we were actually fixing the valve cover gasket, do you think that could be it? I know those are two different things, but I just wanted to let you know.
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 07-20-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46

Cleaned my Mass Flow Sensor, rough idle.

I have a lower intake boot leak.. But I went ahead and sprayed throttle body cleaner and now my car sounds and runs rough, it choked up bad when I left my house, like my engine shakes bad.... here's a video and sound of my muffler today.... Can cleaning that mass flow sensor and a small air leak do this much??! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWt3qm8UbQ[/ame]

Scared about even driving until my lower boot intake gets in.. Please help 😳😔😔

UPDATE! I unplugged the MAS and turned the car on and it idled way better. So is it still my lower intake boot, or both that and my MAS?

Bump

Help....

???
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 07-21-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 330Ci Coupe
    If you have a buddy with a similar car, try to swap the MAF and see how it runs. From the sounds of it, it's probably that.. If you can swap it to test, and it is that, you can try and clean it better first: http://www.louv.tv/cars/m5/MAF/ before buying another one.

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46

Intermediate help: MAS failure?

So we used throttle cleaner on my MAS and ever since my car's idle has gotten rough to the point where it almost fails. It's a gas hog, the engine bay, basically the whole car.. We discovered a leak in my lower boot intake, but I don't know if that is the real issue or the MAS is the issue.

I've concluded this, my car is telling itself that it's getting enough air, when it really isn't since the leak.

So I unplugged my MAS and turned the car on, perfect idle. What is the issue, the lower boot intake, or my MAS?!?!?!? Help! Thanks!

Video of the idle. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWt3qm8UbQ[/ame]

I have ordered a new lower intake boot, I just fear that when I replace it, the MAS may need replaced too.
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 07-24-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2006 330i
    There is no need to keep making threads, kiddo

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    Ugh this is mandatory, where is the help..

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Replace your lower intake boot. It's cheap and relatively easy to do.

How is that even a question? If there's a tear in it, it must be replaced!

Obviously, if that doesn't solve your issue, replace the MAF. Yes it's costly. Make sure you get the VDO Siemens brand. If you search google, maybe you'll find a certain Hyundai uses the exact same MAF as our e46
    Last edited by WoLF; 07-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.

My Cars
    1999 E39 540i Sport
    Dude; this is simple if you unplug your MAF and the car runs smooth you need to replace your MAF. I would strongly suggest based upon the age of your car to call Bavarian Recyclers and get a used MAF for around $125.00 versus a new one which is $466.00 at the Stealership. I just replaced mine because my MAF bite the dust. Just my two and a half cents worth...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2016 Cadillac SRX & 1999 E39 540i/Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    Replaced the boot. Idles rough still.. New mas on the way..

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by trentcdrums
    Replaced the boot. Idles rough still.. New mas on the way..
    I would have cleaned icv and inspected disa prior to mad sensor purchase. Additionally, try to swap MAF sensors with a buddy, to see if it actually fixes your problem.

Also...if you do buy a new sensor, don't cheap out on it.

EDIT: fully read your post above. I would have done the above, in conjunction with boot replacement. I still recommend the swap with a buddy if you have the means. If not, and you have $$$ for a good MAF sensor, go for it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com
    Last edited by danewilson77; 07-26-2012 at 10:37 PM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    I literally can't find someone with my exact car around here.. That i know.. I would go to the stealership but they'll just say go home. I'm getting a recycled MAS for $132. Cut the criticism to "men".

My Cars
    E83, E21
    I see three issues hear, at least described: 1) a leaking throttle body 2) a ripped lower intake boot 3) using throttle body cleaner on the MAF sensor. You can't get the vehicle running smooth with both a leaking throttle body and a ripped intake boot, and you sure won't get it running smooth if you are spraying something onto the MAF sensor that wasn't intended to be sprayed onto it. Throttle body cleaner will leave behind a film residue on the MAF, thereby not allowing it to function properly.

Before needlessly dropping hundreds of dollars on a new MAF sensor, spend the $10 and purchase a can of CFC Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner; it evaporates completely, so that no residue is left behind mucking up the sensor's readings. By "cleaning" the MAF with the throttle body cleaner, you actually just made it dirtier.

*Edit: since you replaced the lower boot, make sure it is seated properly. It is easy to put on just a few degrees cocked, and create a vacuum leak in the process.
    Last edited by dukedkt442; 07-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    I used MAS cleaner it, actually..
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 07-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    E83, E21
    Quote Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
    I used throttle body cleaner on it:.
    I know you did. That is the wrong type of cleaner. As stated, it leaves behind a residue that doesn't allow the sensor to function properly. Throttle body cleaners contain lubricants and anti-corrosion ingredients that cover the sensor, thereby making it incredibly "dirty."
    Last edited by dukedkt442; 07-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    I meant MAS cleaner. Correct

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    To all the smart people who said it was my mass airflow sensor, they were wrong, it still has a extremely rough idle. I took it to the local shop and had them just give it a look, and they said that there is a cylinder that is not responding, how is this?

Could it be a bad coil pack.,
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 08-02-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Lol

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
    To all the smart people who said it was my mass airflow sensor, they were wrong, it still has a extremely rough idle. I took it to the local shop and had them just give it a look, and they said that there is a cylinder that is not responding, how is this?

Could it be a bad coil pack.,
    Yet no engine fault codes? No service engine soon light?

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by WoLF

Yet no engine fault codes? No service engine soon light?
    I've got my service engine light soon, and check engine light on.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czPtBE0TVkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 08-02-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    Problem solved, throttle body was disconnected.,,

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Sometimes its cheaper in the long run to pay a tech to fix your car. You wasted money and time on a problem you caused. You should have had the code read out and you would have saved the money you spent on the MAS. Always look where the last person was when a new problem arises after a repair.
    As a side note you can mix up the coils all you want. They are all the same and it doesn't matter which cylinder you put them in. Trust me on this. I have done it many times in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast