Thread: Still rough idle. Codes P1088 & P1089

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
    Problem solved, throttle body was disconnected.,,
    Way to go

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    I returned the MAS, and got refunded. Where is the ground wire that ground the ICV, that's what they said was disconnected, i'm lost to where this wire is at because I don't recall EVER disconnecting it.. The car is STILL having idle issues and the shop coded the car again, and they said cylinder 5 is misfiring. Then I went to AutoZone and got P188 and P189 for bank 1 and 2 oxygen sensor failure.. Why are the two codes different. I bought a new coil pack for my car that luckily auto zone had for my car and replaced it and still no results, so refunding that.. Next is O2 sensors and spark plugs.. Wish me luck..

P1088, p1089**
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 08-08-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46

Still rough idle. Codes P1088 & P1089

Before ALL of this, me and a former BMW user changed my valve cover gasket, we retraced EVERY step and cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, on the start-up, the car started rough and we revved it up for a few minutes and still no change in the idle.. I replaced the lower boot intake because of a crack, cleaned the ICV, and boots. The shop didn't fix my problem like I paid them to.. So I'm still in a draught to find the issue.. The shop scanned my car before I left and said Cylinder 5 is misfiring. The car doesn't run smooth until it hits over 1000 RPMs. After the air pump is done warming the engine up, the car slowly idles a little bit over 1000 RPMs and sits there until i rev it and it finally comes back down.. Ok, so I got a new bosch coil pack, cleaned the spark plug, and started the car, nothing changed.. AutoZone cleared my Check Engine Light and it came back after I drove it around, we scanned the car, and the codes provided in the title came up, however, no misfire??? So I'm getting different codes and maybe I need some guidance to know what is wrong. I know some people will say go to the stealership, but it has that name for a reason....

Anyways, I'm luckily getting my money back for the coil pack, and plan on replacing all my spark plugs and O2 sensors soon. Maybe someone is experiencing the same problems or has.
    Last edited by trentcdrums; 08-08-2012 at 12:46 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    sounds like it may be a bad throttle position sensor

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansser View Post
    sounds like it may be a bad throttle position sensor
    I've tried doing research on where the sensor is located.. Would you happen to know?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    do a little more research! Most likely attached to or near throttle body. thats where it is on nearly every vehicle i've ever worked on. havent really payed attention to it on this car(yet).

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by ryansser View Post
    do a little more research! Most likely attached to or near throttle body. thats where it is on nearly every vehicle i've ever worked on. havent really payed attention to it on this car(yet).
    It's integrated into the throttle body. The car would be in limp mode if the TPS was bad. On top of that, it'd be throwing a very specific throttle body error code.

My Cars
    E83, E21
    Despite the stigma of "stealership," I guarantee they'd charge less than you've thrown at this car (even more assuming your own time is worth anything). Since the shop you've been using doesn't seem to have any idea what to do, I'd find a different shop. Also, stop just throwing parts at the car. And stop taking the car to Autozone to scan the codes if you are also paying a [reputable?] shop to do the same.

As a staunch KISS believer and devout defender of Occam's razor... have you every tried cleaning the throttle body, or replacing DISA? Stale gas? My MKIII would die at idle, only with the AC on, until I cleaned the throttle body.

Edit: did you ever replace the O2 sensors that apparently were throwing codes?
    Last edited by dukedkt442; 08-10-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedkt442
    Despite the stigma of "stealership," I guarantee they'd charge less than you've thrown at this car (even more assuming your own time is worth anything). Since the shop you've been using doesn't seem to have any idea what to do, I'd find a different shop. Also, stop just throwing parts at the car. And stop taking the car to Autozone to scan the codes if you are also paying a [reputable?] shop to do the same.

As a staunch KISS believer and devout defender of Occam's razor... have you every tried cleaning the throttle body, or replacing DISA? Stale gas? My MKIII would die at idle, only with the AC on, until I cleaned the throttle body.

Edit: did you ever replace the O2 sensors that apparently were throwing codes?
    The shop said the O2 sensors were fine. But I can still replace for better mpg, right? And I cleaned the DISA, boots, and throttle body as I replaced the lower intake boot.

My Cars
    E83, E21
    Ever replace the VCG? Oil can wick up the plugs into the boots causing intermittent misfires.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedkt442
    Ever replace the VCG? Oil can wick up the plugs into the boots causing intermittent misfires.
    That's what caused all the nonsense

My Cars
    Bmw325i

Maf.

Quote Originally Posted by WoLF View Post
    Replace your lower intake boot. It's cheap and relatively easy to do.

How is that even a question? If there's a tear in it, it must be replaced!

Obviously, if that doesn't solve your issue, replace the MAF. Yes it's costly. Make sure you get the VDO Siemens brand. If you search google, maybe you'll find a certain Hyundai uses the exact same MAF as our e46
    (quote) It is the 2002 Hyundai Sonata that has the same mass air sensor also Hyundai Tiburon same here with the 2.7 6 cylinder and some k i a models as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12