Thread: Where is the remote key module?

My Cars
    With wheels

Where is the remote key module?

Hi guys,

Common remote key issue that does not open/close the car anymore.
    I want to check the module for water infiltration but I am reading conflicting information about its location.
    Some say pillar C, others are saying in the boot itself, others in the headliner on the rear, so I am not sure.

Thanks
    BMW OSS Master - BMW Coding, flashing, and NBT/CIC retrofits for breakfast.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008

My Cars
    Remote key module? There is no such thing as a remote key module. The locking/unlocking feature from the remote is controlled by several things. You've posted in the E60 section, so I'm guessing that's what you have. Some of the components of the system would be the antenna, the CAS module, and probably the body module as well.

Do you have only one key for the car? Does the other key work? And it's a good idea to specify what kind of car you are talking about in your post.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    With wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Remote key module? There is no such thing as a remote key module. The locking/unlocking feature from the remote is controlled by several things. You've posted in the E60 section, so I'm guessing that's what you have. Some of the components of the system would be the antenna, the CAS module, and probably the body module as well.

Do you have only one key for the car? Does the other key work? And it's a good idea to specify what kind of car you are talking about in your post.
    Thanks, yeah sure it is for a 2006 e60.
    I read that water infiltration is most likely the issue as all the keys are unable to lock/unlock the car remotely, so the car can only be opened by inserting they key, alarm goes on, button pressed and the alarm stops.
    The car can be driven normally after that.
    It started randomly after some serious showers here, now it is permanent.

Apparently it is because of this module getting wet, which seems to contain also the diversity antenna.

BMW OSS Master - BMW Coding, flashing, and NBT/CIC retrofits for breakfast.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008

My Cars
    Gotcha. That's a possibility. The part you show is the diversity antenna. It controls AM/FM antenna's, and depending on the vehicle, the antenna for the key's as well. Some cars use the rear view mirror for the key antenna.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2010 535i xdrive Msprt
    It sounds like the water damage that you are referring to is caused by blocked drains for your sunroof which causes water to pool in the spare tire compartment where your module is stored. There are threads you can search to unclog the sunroof drains.

My Cars
    2005 BMW E60 Sedan

So, where is this antenna's location again?

Hi,

I seem to have the exact same issue. My car is a 2005 BMW E60 Sedan. Where can I locate this antenna?

Thanks,
    Adnan

Quote Originally Posted by BMWPlanetDude View Post
    Thanks, yeah sure it is for a 2006 e60.
    I read that water infiltration is most likely the issue as all the keys are unable to lock/unlock the car remotely, so the car can only be opened by inserting they key, alarm goes on, button pressed and the alarm stops.
    The car can be driven normally after that.
    It started randomly after some serious showers here, now it is permanent.

Apparently it is because of this module getting wet, which seems to contain also the diversity antenna.

My Cars
    e60 525DA
    Hi, In the following site you can find information about the E60 Diversity Antenna Amplifier module location.

https://www.e60diversitymodule.com/?lang=en