Thread: Advise

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i

Advise

Well I will be building another E30 and I'm having a hard time choosing what power plant to use. The car will be strickly for drifting. I have been running my m20 for about 3 years at 300hp and it has been handling the abuse pretty well, untill SWD round 4. I'm getting a ton of blow by now. So I decided I'm going to freashin up the motor with rings and stuff to buy me time till my other e30 is done. I hate long builds with no drifting. So I plan on sliding this e30 till the other is done.

My question is what do I put in the new drift project? M50? 2JZ? Suggestions?

One of my main concerns is to balance $$$ and availability. 2JZ's have crappy trans, so I'd spend close to 6k and probably blow it. Go M50 cheap$$ Probably be just as solid as a 1Jz, and pull them out the junk yard. I dont wanna do a swap then have a hard time finding parts if i brake something (which will happen)

My Goal is about 500hp.

I'm open to any suggestions.
    Last edited by flyinE30; 09-04-2012 at 11:23 PM.

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Id say the m50/2 route would probably be the easiest and cheapest. Both are reliable, produce great numbers when boosted and parts are readily available. Not an expert on the 1jz or 2jz,'s but i feel like parts aren't as readily available considering their age and how rare they are today and not to mention how much fabrication/customizing you'd have to do to get everything working the right way.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BigC986 View Post
    Id say the m50/2 route would probably be the easiest and cheapest. Both are reliable, produce great numbers when boosted and parts are readily available. Not an expert on the 1jz or 2jz,'s but i feel like parts aren't as readily available considering their age and how rare they are today and not to mention how much fabrication/customizing you'd have to do to get everything working the right way.
    Yea that's what I being thinking also. I just need to hear from others. I've also thought about the Chevy inline 6 from a trailblazer but then that's just a lot of custom work that may not be worth it.

My Cars
    E36 M3, Mk2 GTI
    Parts are actually really easy to get for both the 1jz and 2jz, the 1JZ headgasket and major seals are kind of hard to find if you want them immediatly but if your willing to wait a week or 2 for shipping you can get what ever you want. Most parts are interchangeable with the 2jz and timing belts if from an IZUZU truck. The V160 is a monster trans so im not sure if you thinking about that one. The R154 is probably the one you thinking of which is still strong in its own right. Just hates to be shifted fast with high power. If it breaks you can buy a brand new one from GM since the solstice/sky use the same trans. They are hit and miss with reliabilty but imo i think most of the cases of breaking are from mis-repair and trying to push the engines power without the supporting mods first. 1jz in particular sound AMAZING and will rev to the moon if you want with some around here revving to 8500 rpm + (balanced, Ferrera springs and retainer and of course a set of cams to justify revving that high). The stroke ratio is made for it and just stock it screams. I dont at all regret putting in this motor and i have driven boosted E36 M3s and honestly im astounded how good the motor is just out of the box.

That being said the M50 will be cheap, more then likely an easier swap with lots of support. Shameless plug: You could go bigger and buy my s50 with trans :-D, both need to be rebuilt but it runs and drove me daily to work before i pulled it. Give it to you for a good price too. PM me if your interested.

MODS
    1JZ, BC 264 cams, BC TI Springs and Retainers, Ferra Keepers, Arp Head Studs, Arp Main studs, Arp rod bolts, Custom Emerald Performance Dual Plenum intake, 70 mm TB, SC6169 T3 Turbo, full 3 inch SS exhaust, Ar5 Transmission, 60lb injectors, Walbro 400 fuel pump, GTR intercooler. Porsche Turbo Calipers, Gutted Tein SS coilovers with Koni Race shock inserts , Tein Pillowball Camber Plates, UUC Swaybarbarian bars....needs more mods and a tune!!!!