Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Starfire paints ?

My Cars
    '13Dart,94 325is08Rabbit

Starfire paints ?

found a color i really like to spray my e36
    but never heard of the company.
    its a urethane base and clear kit
    for 179$
    anybody has any experience with starfire ?

this is what u get in this kit
    btw masks are a bit of a joke

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Don't have any experience with that paint. But I do have experience with quality paints. I'd be weary of the paint quality, most high quality catalysts alone cost more than that whole kit.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    +1 on that. I used PPG OMNI on my e36 last summer and the epoxy primer and base and clear and all the reducers and hardeners came to $400. The OMNI line is their economy paint. I wouldn't risk anything less than that just for $200. When it comes to auto paint you get what you pay for. BTW I did my whole car with 2 quarts of base. That kit in the pic looks like it has a gallon of base. It must be really really cheap stuff.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Starfire is decent paint. You are buying it from a mass volume dealer, so they sell it way cheap. If it is a car you plan on just using as a daily driver and want it to have shiny paint, it will work fine. How it adheres and looks is all in the body and prep work for the most part. If you are going with a dark color, you will want to block sand your car out a few times, and use a guide coat to find lows and waves.
    Flyfish,
    $400 for PPG Omni? You paid full retail PLUS a bit. I used Omni on a flip car I had last winter, red, which is one of the more expensive colors, and was in all paint materials for $249. Part of it could also be where you are at, many states/counties charge big extras for auto body products.

My Cars
    98' 318Ti Cali Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by bmb527 View Post
    $400 for PPG Omni? You paid full retail PLUS a bit. I used Omni on a flip car I had last winter, red, which is one of the more expensive colors, and was in all paint materials for $249. Part of it could also be where you are at, many states/counties charge big extras for auto body products.
    Agreed, $400 is over the top for omni..

OP, I've worked in a body shop for a while and have had a few experiences with Starfire. But just as bmb527 said, it's all about how well you prep the car.. Even with the best paint on the market, if not prepped correctly it could just be a waste of time and money.. Just make sure you prep correctly & have fun spraying

My Cars
    waganor
    This paint is very moisturizing.it is good.

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    I have sprayed a car using Starfire paint. Decent quality paint... like someone else said, the prep work is what counts. The color was a bit tricky to spray. It didn't take much to run or sag, but as long as you're conscious of this and do some test shots, you'll figure it out. The clear was very easy to spray and took no extra wetsanding or polishing... came out like glass. Most of my previous experience is with Dupont entry-level products, so that's what I'm comparing to.

The white is Starfire. I mixed in orange flake and did a white pearl mid-clear. Upper orange half is Dupont Chromabase and took significant finishing work (you can see my lovely buffing burn on the corner of the hood).

I guess to give you some direct advice, I would definitely use this paint again for an average DIY project car. If you make a mistake, it's cheap enough to fix.

As someone said, they can offer a low price by buying in bulk and offering only select colors... custom mixing takes more time, more cost in a larger material selection, and more trained personal to do the work.
    Last edited by Kyle Anderson; 10-15-2012 at 09:29 PM.