Thread: Navigation CD for 08 528XI

My Cars
    2008 BMW 528Xi

Navigation CD for 08 528XI

Hi is there any cheap way of getting Navigation CD with latest maps.. Dealer asks 200$.

My Cars
    2008 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by asifp View Post
    Hi is there any cheap way of getting Navigation CD with latest maps.. Dealer asks 200$.
    Yes, there are unscrupulous people out there selling illegal copies for much less than $200. So, if you don't have a problem buying something illegal, and essentially stealing somebody else's Intellectual Property, you can save a few dollars, at the expense of your ethics and honesty. While you're at it, maybe stop by your local Walmart and swap some price tags, or even just walk out with some merchandise without paying for it, since that is essentially what you're doing when you buy illegal copies of software this way.

Keith
    08 550i, Carbon Black, Sport Pkg, Manual Trans, Nav, Logic7, Comfort Access, Cold Weather, iPod, Folding Rear Seats

Check eBay......

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i M Sport
    Find a genuine BMW DVD. I got mine on eBay for $70
    2009 BMW 335i M Sport

aznknites is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    Does anyone know if the '12 DVD would work on a '05 545i?

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    I can vouch for buying new from the dealer. I bought one on eBay that was giving me problems when the cold weather set in and after a couple of visits to the dealer, resulted in replacing the DVD drive. This still didn't fix the problem and it turned out that the cold weather distorted the label enough so the drive wouldn't read the disc except when it was warm enough, say after spending the night inside the dealers nice warm shop.

Living in Phoenix would likely have avoided that problem but it was an expensive lesson.

By the way, the new 2012 discs work fine in my '07 so you probably won't have any problem with your '05.

Tom
    2011 535i x-drive, Alpine White, Black Dakota Leather, Executive Package, Sports Package, Comfort Access, APPS, Navigation
    2007 530i, Olivine Green, Black Dakota Leather, Premium Package, heated front and rear seats, PDC, Harman/ Kardon Logic 7, Navigation (for sale)

2007 328i, Barrique Red, Beige Leatherette, Premium Package, heated seats, LOGIC7, Steptronic (lease return)
    2000 328i, Fern Green, Beige Leather (traded)

My Cars
    2014 435i
    Quote Originally Posted by atc1949 View Post
    I can vouch for buying new from the dealer. I bought one on eBay that was giving me problems when the cold weather set in and after a couple of visits to the dealer, resulted in replacing the DVD drive. This still didn't fix the problem and it turned out that the cold weather distorted the label enough so the drive wouldn't read the disc except when it was warm enough, say after spending the night inside the dealers nice warm shop.

Living in Phoenix would likely have avoided that problem but it was an expensive lesson.

By the way, the new 2012 discs work fine in my '07 so you probably won't have any problem with your '05.

Tom
    Very interesting...I have a 2010 DVD which I also purchased on eBay...same thing, when it is cold out, I get an error message on the navigation system....very interesting. I live in Texas, so this is generally not a big deal...just an annoyance.

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    I had the problem DVD burned to a new disc without a label and it worked well for me after that.

Tom
    2011 535i x-drive, Alpine White, Black Dakota Leather, Executive Package, Sports Package, Comfort Access, APPS, Navigation
    2007 530i, Olivine Green, Black Dakota Leather, Premium Package, heated front and rear seats, PDC, Harman/ Kardon Logic 7, Navigation (for sale)

2007 328i, Barrique Red, Beige Leatherette, Premium Package, heated seats, LOGIC7, Steptronic (lease return)
    2000 328i, Fern Green, Beige Leather (traded)

My Cars
    2014 435i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by atc1949 View Post
    I had the problem DVD burned to a new disc without a label and it worked well for me after that.

Tom
    interesting...I might give that a try....

My Cars
    Black 05 530i
    I have the 2012 north america maps both east and west DVD if you pm your address I don't mind burning you a copy and mailing them to you. I just updated my 2004 530i and it worked like a champ. I also burned a copy for my friend with an 07 550i and worked with no issues. Also I have been using the 2011 maps that I burned for a full year and I didn't have any problems but I never put a label on them the top of the DVDs I went old school and wrote on it with a sharpie. I live in OK and winter gets down to 0 and summer gets up to about 105 and I have had no issues
    Last edited by blck530i; 08-15-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but by upgrading with a new DVD, does the idrive copy the information or do you have to run the DVD constantly for it to work?

Black 2010 550i M Sport

My Cars
    Black 05 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by 8nskate View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but by upgrading with a new DVD, does the idrive copy the information or do you have to run the DVD constantly for it to work?

Black 2010 550i M Sport
    You have to run the DVD constantly for the maps to work once you take out the DVD you have your regular system - your gps, nothing else changes and your system wont downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by blck530i

You have to run the DVD constantly for the maps to work once you take out the DVD you have your regular system - your gps, nothing else changes and your system wont downgrade.
    Makes sense. Thanks!

Black 2010 550i M Sport

aznknites is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by blck530i View Post
    I have the 2012 north america maps both east and west DVD if you pm your address I don't mind burning you a copy and mailing them to you. I just updated my 2004 530i and it worked like a champ. I also burned a copy for my friend with an 07 550i and worked with no issues. Also I have been using the 2011 maps that I burned for a full year and I didn't have any problems but I never put a label on them the top of the DVDs I went old school and wrote on it with a sharpie. I live in OK and winter gets down to 0 and summer gets up to about 105 and I have had no issues
    When you did this, did it ask for an activation code?

My Cars
    Black 05 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by aznknites View Post
    When you did this, did it ask for an activation code?
    It didn't ask for an activation code.

My Cars
    528xi

Dvd

Msg me and I'll shoot you my address I need one my DVD smashed after my son slammed it in the armrest pocket...:<