Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to power on e39 cluster out of car?

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 525 wagon

How to power on e39 cluster out of car?

I have a cluster off a 99 528. Also have the pigtails. I just need to know what powers it on so I can get the miles. Maybe just power and ground? I searched for wiring diagram but no luck. Any help is appreciated

BBS LM's, AA Gen III Exhaust, Cosmos CAI V2, AA SSK, Dinan stage 2 SW, Tein SS Coils, Slotted & Crossdrilled Brembos W/ Hawk pads UUC pullies, M50 Manifold.......

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    Same here....If anyone would be so kind and post the wiring diagram of the whole gauge cluster it would be awesome!
    Would love to know where the wires go at the S1 and S2 plugs...

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT
    Go to the spaghetticoder site. The TIS and WDS are available online there.
    http://spaghetticoder.org/

You willl have to work your way down through the various levels to find the instrument panel or Kombi (combination instrument).

RonR

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    Wow....very very very usuful link!! But I dont think it has the darn schematic....I looked for about an hour....I really appreciate the info sir....

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    This is what you need to connect:

You dont need to connect the K-Line though, and you dont need the blue plug.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is for the 3-plug HIGH instrument cluster below:

Last edited by johnate; 08-03-2012 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    Excellent!! That's definately it...thank you so much!! So confirming, this will get the cluster on, right?

Do you happen to have the rest of the wiring and where they go to? Which sensor inputs and ECM inputs? I know I might be asking too much? I mean, the first is enough, I would just like to confirm my other wires, that's all.

Thank you soooo much

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    That diagram above will power up your cluster and you can do the 'display test' with the hidden function No. 02.

I know because I repair cluster pixels as a side income and that's what I used to test it.

Full wiring diagram for the cluster

Last edited by johnate; 08-03-2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    I'm pretty sure you can't get the mileage without it being connected to the car. If there is no communication between the LCM and the IKE/KOM (cluster) the IKE/KOM will only display '999999' in the mileage spot.

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    Mate, I do this daily and the mileage stays correct out of the car. The instrument cluster is a computer itself and capable of showing a lot of info on bench.

I have a photo of what it shows on bench with the connector that I made, from a cluster I fixed this morning. On my phone now, will upload when I get home.
    Last edited by johnate; 08-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by johnate View Post
    That diagram above will power up your cluster and you can do the 'display test' with the hidden function No. 02.

I know because I repair cluster pixels as a side income and that's what I used to test it.

Full wiring diagram for the cluster
    You're da man!!!!

Thnx....exactly what I was looking for! Spend hours googling too...I'm sure this page alone will get like a million hits! hahahahaah

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    Lasvegascop PM'ed me and he described his instrument cluster as the 'LOW' type:

In that case the connection is as below. I have not done this one but from what I can see you only need the black connector to power up your cluster.

This is my setup to test the cluster on bench

The plugs are wired as per my earlier diagram, powered by a small 12V battery as shown.

This is the cluster before I repaired it. This was tested on bench so you can see the mileage is showing correctly. Only the temperature shows as -40C as the temp sensor is not connected.

This was after the pixels were repaired:

Last edited by johnate; 08-03-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    Yup...that's the one sir....

Many thnx

UPDATE!!

I got it connected per your diagrams and she is breathing!! No busted pixels so yes!!

Thnx again....and sent ya another PM...I hope you dont mind?
    Last edited by lasvegascop; 08-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Mate, I do this daily and the mileage stays correct out of the car. The instrument cluster is a computer itself and capable of showing a lot of info on bench.

I have a photo of what it shows on bench with the connector that I made, from a cluster I fixed this morning. On my phone now, will upload when I get home.
    I was merely quoting the WDS which states if the IKE/KOM has no communication with the LCM the mileage will be displayed as '999999'. It doesn't mean that the mileage in the IKE/KOM has been forgotten. It is just being displayed wrong to indicate a fault. There apparently must be a fail safe for a 'no communcation at all' condition. If the mileage is shown when nothing is hooked up.

Read on: http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...B009621102.htm
    Last edited by Xeniczone; 08-03-2012 at 07:41 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    Lasvegascop: The LOW cluster does not carry the same pixel fault as the HIGH cluster...normally the display would be fine.

The green light on the inspection lights does not light up because the car actually is up for an inspection when it was broken up!

Xeniczone: Yeah read that, but I've never seen the cluster shows '999999'. Is the info for the E39? For your info i have taken out my LCM out of the car and the display does not show '999999'

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Lasvegascop: The LOW cluster does not carry the same pixel fault as the HIGH cluster...normally the display would be fine.

The green light on the inspection lights does not light up because the car actually is up for an inspection when it was broken up!

Xeniczone: Yeah read that, but I've never seen the cluster shows '999999'. Is the info for the E39? For your info i have taken out my LCM out of the car and the display does not show '999999'
    Like I said I'm not entirely sure what causes the condition. It could just be a communication error and not, no communication at all. Such that as when the IKE/KOM requests the LCM to respond and it does, but when it asks for the mileage it gives it nothing.

Yes it does happen, and yes it is for the E39.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=755982
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1238320
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1730520

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 525 wagon
    Wow thank you for the info.

BBS LM's, AA Gen III Exhaust, Cosmos CAI V2, AA SSK, Dinan stage 2 SW, Tein SS Coils, Slotted & Crossdrilled Brembos W/ Hawk pads UUC pullies, M50 Manifold.......

My Cars
    BMW 330d volvo v50
    Hi!

This wiring fits to High speedometer with back like this

But I put the same wiring on High speedo with back like this

and nothing works maybe someone knows how to connect this one to test it??
    Last edited by archab; 01-30-2016 at 04:23 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW i528 Sedan -e39
    I've got a high density instrument cluster out of a 2001/2002 BMW I'm trying to light up.

If I'm reading the IKE 2 diagram correctly, it's:
    Black: Pin 1 to negative
    Black: Pin 7 to positive
    Black: Pin 14 to positive
    Black: Pin 17 to positive

White: Pin 1 not connected
    White: Pin 9 to negative
    White: Pin 10 to negative
    White: Pin 12 to positive
    White: Pin 15 to positive
    White: Pin 16 to positive

Is that correct?

I'm getting a partial light up. No computer options or the ability to see miles info.
    LightUp.jpg

My Cars
    BMW e39 520d
    Hello!
    I am also trying to put power on my cluster. It's a LOW type like Lasvegascop (26 pins black and white connector)!
    So I also used the sheme where I only have to use the black connector:
    - 1, 13, 19 and 26 are GND
    - 20,21 and 22 are positives
    But this gives me only the ABS mark to light up.. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    Is there anyone who could help me?
    I noticed that in the beginning, pin 19 wasn't used originally. But confirming the sheme I've now used it as a GND.
    The cluster is from a 525 tds (Europe) 1997.
    To power it up I've used a transformer 12V 20-80Ah 8A.

I hope someone can help me.

Kind regards,
    Olivier

My Cars
    83 S50/320i and '03 745i
    I'm not an expert in this.. ..i myself like you was searching for answers and I guess I got lucky.... Very lucky. Go through different diagrams one of them has to work!
    My build thread M20 than S50 into 320i: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post23442810

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    For the high cluster, you need both the black and white connectors to be connected. On the black connector, pin 1 needs to be ground and pins 7 and 17 need to be connected to power. On the white connector, pins 9 and 10 are ground and pins 15 and 16 are power. Pin 8 is the I/K bus wire that goes to the other Ibus modules and pin 7 goes to the diagnostic port (OBD2 port).

For the low cluster, on the black connector, pin 1 is ground, while pins 20 and 21 are power.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    BMW e39 520d
    Hello,

Thank you for the quick respons!
    I'm not really an engineer in electronics.. So I have a transformer with a black (negative) and red (positive) cable.
    Pins 20 and 21 should I connect with the red cable and pin 1 (the ground) with the black cable? Or am I completely wrong?
    To power it up I use a transformer 12V 20-80Ah 8A.

Kind regards,
    Olivier

- - - Updated - - -

I've just tried it, and again it's only the ABS light that works
    Other tips?

My Cars
    None
    Last edited by oke139; 12-28-2022 at 06:15 AM.

My Cars
    E39
    This is what you need to connect:

You dont need to connect the K-Line though, and you dont need the blue plug.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is for the 3-plug HIGH instrument cluster below:
    Hey guys, i tried this connections but long bottom computer is off. I need to check the pixels. How to I power up the computer?

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    The connection diagrams are accurate. All of the power and ground pins shown need to be connected. You can't skip any of them.

When you correctly power the cluster at least one LED will light and the incandescent lights will turn on at full brightness. The LCD will display the default information.

Have you checked that the lamps aren't burnt out? That would be rare in regular use, but it wouldn't be surprising if you bought a used cluster from a sleazy seller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast