Thread: John Cooper works tuning Kit

My Cars
    Richard Scary Pickle Mobile

John Cooper works tuning Kit

I am surprised a search on this provided no hits. Is this kit worth the extra $4-5K? Are there other options for tuning a mini up to 200 hp?

Apparently, you get to keep your warranty with the JC works.

I noticed there are some exhaust companies getting in on the mini, but what have other tuners done as far as performance?
    any links to sound files of the way the stock Cooper S compares to the JC cooper kit exhaust?

My Cars
    2005 Evo VIII
    Nope.

The only thing good about it is the fact that your warranty remains intact.

You can get a pulley reduction done for about $500. A good ECU flash (only a couple out right now that i'd consider) $700. Then the usual - exhaust (probably going with UUC) $700 - intake $200 - That alone should get you close.

I've been researching and this is the route i'm going to take.

I've also considered the M7 Venom nitrous kit. It's a pretty slick unit (real time O2 sensor readings) that you can program to operate at certain rpm's etc... 75 shot! $800.

Can't wait to surprise somebody on the street. LOL.

My Cars
    Jag XKR Silverstone, 04 645, 1 Toy Hauler & A Boat
    I'd never suggest to anyone I don't dislike to run NAWS on the street. If after the above mentioned add ons you're not happy, try a ltw flywheel. If you're still not happy, you need a Porsche to satisfy your needs not a Mini.
    Modifimied Z3 2.8
    Faster than you think

My Cars
    Richard Scary Pickle Mobile
    So the same gains can be had for approx 2K less.

hmm an extra 2K to keep the warranty. Thats well worth it in my opinion. I had a tranny syncro go on me in my M3 at 49,900 miles that would have cost 5K to fix.

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    There is the Dinan option. If it is installed by an authorized Dinan Center, your factory warranty will be voided, but Dinan will give you a Dinan warranty on your car. Now, if Dinan will just release the kit!

My Cars
    2015 335i MSport
    Keep in mind that even if you go aftermarket for your intake, exhaust, etc. they will not void your warranty. If you change out the intake and your hfm or manifold busts than yes, they can void your warranty. But Im sure companies like Borla would not make an exhaust if there was a chance of blowing up your engine. Get an intake, exhaust, ecu flash, maybe pulley upgrade, put the other $2k towards a nice vacation.

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    TMS Stage II power package... Seems like a no brainer to me!

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/project_mini.shtml

215 HP from a pulley swap, JC tuning, CAI, Borla exhaust, new plugs (for the boost bump)....all for $1469 plus install (DIY)!!!

These mods do NOT outright void your warranty! That is such a misconception! If one of them happens to be the direct cause of failure of a major engine part, then yes, you'll be shit outta luck. Otherwise, your warranty is still perfectly intact.
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

My Cars
    Jag XKR Silverstone, 04 645, 1 Toy Hauler & A Boat
    I agree with Chris. seems alot better than 4 to 5K, but with the new head it would open up more opportunity for boost. ( The port job will give a better designed chamber making it less prone to detonation) Maybe there's a worked over head you can buy while you're a it with the TMS package.
    Modifimied Z3 2.8
    Faster than you think

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    Just changing out stock parts does not invalidate your warranty. Your dealer may think so, but the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is on your side. Your dealer MUST prove that your modification caused the malfunction in your car. i.e. your aftermarket intake could not cause your exhaust leak.

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beastmaster
    Just changing out stock parts does not invalidate your warranty. Your dealer may think so, but the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is on your side. Your dealer MUST prove that your modification caused the malfunction in your car. i.e. your aftermarket intake could not cause your exhaust leak.
    And there you have itvonce again, in more exact terms than I put it....
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

My Cars
    JCW mini cooper s
    I have the JCW kit on my mini S. I researched the alternatives, and as it turns out, labor costs around here a extremely high, and the lack of a good tuner shop to install said alternatives is devistating. I enjoy the fact that i can roll into the dealership, and not have to have my fingers crossed when i have them repair a simple recall and such. The kit provides a very clean power boost, and you do not have to worry about banging up your engine with a product that hasn't had the most extensive long term test it needs. I am not referring to exhausts or CAI's, but to more severe mods, such as ramping up your boost, or putting in some new software. It may be expensive, but the fact that i keep my warranty, know my car won't get "hurt" and be able to have certified BMW dealer mechanics install my aftermarket parts is well worth it. Im not a experienced enough DIY to put on new supercharger pullies, or ECU chips, they are just a step out of my ability right now, so i had the labor cost issue as well. BTW, at limerock I can take pullied/exhausted/chipped mcs's. The JCW kit may not be the most potent, but the criticism it recieves is not fully warranted, its night and day over the regular S

My Cars
    2005 Evo VIII
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rderman
    I have the JCW kit on my mini S. I researched the alternatives, and as it turns out, labor costs around here a extremely high, and the lack of a good tuner shop to install said alternatives is devistating. I enjoy the fact that i can roll into the dealership, and not have to have my fingers crossed when i have them repair a simple recall and such. The kit provides a very clean power boost, and you do not have to worry about banging up your engine with a product that hasn't had the most extensive long term test it needs. I am not referring to exhausts or CAI's, but to more severe mods, such as ramping up your boost, or putting in some new software. It may be expensive, but the fact that i keep my warranty, know my car won't get "hurt" and be able to have certified BMW dealer mechanics install my aftermarket parts is well worth it. Im not a experienced enough DIY to put on new supercharger pullies, or ECU chips, they are just a step out of my ability right now, so i had the labor cost issue as well. BTW, at limerock I can take pullied/exhausted/chipped mcs's. The JCW kit may not be the most potent, but the criticism it recieves is not fully warranted, its night and day over the regular S
    I'm not knocking the kit per se.

I've been extremely lucky in the fact that my dealership will warrant all mods and honor my original warranty if they do the work.

I just got the pulley done - amazing mod - paid a little extra, but like you, I like the peace of mind I have knowing that if something goes wrong they will fix it.

I just haven't been impressed with the hp/dollar ratio with the JCW kit.

But, enjoy - it is an amazing car!