Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: 93FIM5's 1993 E34 M5 Build

My Cars
    1991 e34 M5
    Very detailed build! It will definitely pay off in the end.

My Cars
    A couple of 5.0's
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Its pretty clean bud but you know how picky I am, honestly cant wait for bodywork so I clean everything better. Should be fun to put the M5 against the 5.0s I'll bring the GoPro so we can get some video, Nick has to ride with you as a weight penalty against the new 5.0 lmao.
    You, picky about the M5?? No......... lol.

This time let's keep the GoPro video instead of magically deleting it....

And I'm not looking forward to seeing how much work I have to do to the old 5.0 to make it keep up with the M5, lol. I can see the $1200 credit card bill for aluminum heads in my near future

My Cars
    BMWs
    Don't complain, our cams are $2000 lol

My Cars
    A couple of 5.0's
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Yowza!!!! Consider my complaining silenced

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Nice build!!!
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Glad to hear it is sitting on it's own wheel again.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonsta View Post
    Very detailed build! It will definitely pay off in the end.
    Thanks, hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by chewwyyetti View Post
    You, picky about the M5?? No......... lol.

This time let's keep the GoPro video instead of magically deleting it....

And I'm not looking forward to seeing how much work I have to do to the old 5.0 to make it keep up with the M5, lol. I can see the $1200 credit card bill for aluminum heads in my near future
    You need to post pics of the Mustangs and get some ideas for the older 5.0 I still say bolt on the twin screw . . . . Its the easiest and cheapest power gain.

Thats depressing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 84318i View Post
    Nice build!!!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
    Glad to hear it is sitting on it's own wheel again.
    Not a chance lol, still lots to do.

Well here are some updates on whats been done last week and a little over the weekend. Replaced the brake reservoir and grommets. Old.

New parts.

Installed.

Got around to pulling the throttle bodies so I can replace the gaskets and orings and then do a throttle balance. Plenum off.

Throttles pulled.

Ports look good and clean.

Since I'm deleting the secondary air injection system I cleaned up a few of the vacuum lines and pulled the old EM valve and cleaned the head and block up. The rest of the lines are around a year old and everything was still nice and soft. Before.

New vacuum parts.

Hrm, forgot to take a pic of the finished product lol.

Anyways, I also pulled the fuel injectors and Im sending them off today to Witch Hunter Performance to get cleaned and rebuilt, http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorserv1.php4 . Injectors.

Cleaned up and replaced the hardware, gasket, sensors, and oil filter kit for the filter housing.

Cleaned the motor mount arm and installed with new hardware.

Motor mount arm and filter housing installed on cleaned block.

Finally I installed the rear subframe mount with new hardware.

Installed.

Overall its moving along well, being picky is pricey mainly in time. For example I'm waiting on a new bolt for the steering box so I can stuff the front subframe back up with all the suspension. I also ordered some Mercedes citric acid cleaner and picked up some Shout to descale and degrease the cooling system along with all new hoses and hose clamps. Water pump and thermostat are around a year old and I think Im going to leave them alone for the time being since I plan on upgrading the cooling system with a different water pump and thermostat design along with a new radiator after Bfest. I need to pickup one of the vacuum tools you showed Jon, thats a nice setup. I should have more updates later this week where it will start looking more like a car and finally be off its jack stand home.
    Last edited by 93FIM5; 04-22-2013 at 12:24 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Greg, hehe. Just so you know, and I did the same exact thing... the diff mount is backwards!

The side that has metal extend off of it goes toward the front of the car. If you don't flip it around the bolt hole is about 1/2" off. Very frustrating to remedy when jacking the subframe back in.

My Cars
    Fives
    Show of hands, who else replaces white plastic underhood parts because they have turned yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

Specialization is for insects

My Cars
    BMWs
    You mean the frame rail plugs? I replaced them

My Cars
    Fives
    It's a sickness.
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Greg, hehe. Just so you know, and I did the same exact thing... the diff mount is backwards!

The side that has metal extend off of it goes toward the front of the car. If you don't flip it around the bolt hole is about 1/2" off. Very frustrating to remedy when jacking the subframe back in.
    DOH!!! So RealOEM fails! I was basing mine on the cutouts on the rear of the mount so the rounded bolt areas went to the rear at least according to the drawing. Well shit.

You mean the frame rail plugs? I replaced them
    Wait there is more I can replace needlessly? Where??

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
    It's a sickness.
    Last edited by 93FIM5; 08-06-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMWs
    I know I went by the drawing too and then I was like OOOOOOOOMG my subframe is bent! And then I realized the mount was turned around.

Yeah man check those little plastic plugs on the frame rails I don't even remember how I got the PN# for those lol.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    I know I went by the drawing too and then I was like OOOOOOOOMG my subframe is bent! And then I realized the mount was turned around.

Yeah man check those little plastic plugs on the frame rails I don't even remember how I got the PN# for those lol.
    Well crap lol I will flip it around then and re-torque and Loctite it. In other related news I finished my die for pressing my RTAB and rebuilt the plates for my press setup, so now its time to press them in!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Well crap lol I will flip it around then and re-torque and Loctite it. In other related news I finished my die for pressing my RTAB and rebuilt the plates for my press setup, so now its time to press them in!
    Nice man - any reason you didn't go w/ the AKGs? The installation was just so much more friendly than OE and I neeeeverrrrr have to worry about removing them again.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Nice man - any reason you didn't go w/ the AKGs? The installation was just so much more friendly than OE and I neeeeverrrrr have to worry about removing them again.
    Mainly I didn't see any room for dramatic improvement performance wise by going to poly, the M5 units are already a sealed rotary style bearing with rubber isolation which is about as good as it gets. But I do see anything poly being a source for NVH especially with rotation being introduced mainly squeaking at low speeds on rough pavement (Parking lots, residential etc) which would piss me off to no end. Since I'm really just trying to modernize the M5 while at the same time make it as durable as possible I couldnt see going to the AKG pieces. The cost is cheaper than OEM and installation is easier but I dont think I'll need to do this for another 10-15 years so .

BTW Jon is the Stewart water pump able to be disassembled easily?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Nice - yeah the bearing type must be nicer. The stock E34 stuff is the "torque while in position" crap and while not worn out, I would never want to go back in there after having it apart - the AKGs are nice in that they can be removed on t he car with a dead blow hammer and a pry bar.

I haven't actually had the opportunity to take a stewart apart yet - I run them in both my daily and my turbo car. I will say, the machine work and the bearing tolerances and all are very nice and they're supposedly rebuild able.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Dude, your lady turns wrenches with you? You win.
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Guys guys guys....let us keep the compliments to a minimum. You gotta space the compliments or it gets to his head.

I kid I kid.

Jamie is a pretty awesome women.... I remember the days when she could drink me under the table.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Guys guys guys....let us keep the compliments to a minimum. You gotta space the compliments or it gets to his head.

I kid I kid.

Jamie is a pretty awesome women.... I remember the days when she could drink me under the table.
    Nick. This is Jamie. I will take that as a challenge. . . . There is always beer in our fridge and whiskey in our cupboard!

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Oops.......

Game on haha. I think I feel the hangover coming already, I hope the cop doesn't bust me skinny dipping. What are the chances I would get off the hook twice?

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Oops.......

Game on haha. I think I feel the hangover coming already, I hope the cop doesn't bust me skinny dipping. What are the chances I would get off the hook twice?
    Only rookies get caught bud. . . .

So need some input, how important are the dowels on the front subframe. They look like they are simply for quick alignment during install and not a strength member. Anyone Im open to ideas?
    Last edited by 93FIM5; 08-07-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Bump for some needed input.

Got any pics of the dowels you are speaking of?
    Last edited by me78569; 08-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.

My Cars
    Fives
    G
    Nick. This is Jamie. I will take that as a challenge. . . . There is always beer in our fridge and whiskey in our cupboard!
    This needs it's own thread complete with pictures of Nick squarely laid under said drinking table, resting.

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Sneezy, lets just say it is a good thing Jamie isn't coming on our roadtrip because I am not sure you guys have enough to drink for both of us.

Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast