Thread: new v8 header question

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd

new v8 header question

being that m62 headers are rediculiously expensive.... has anyone tried seeing if the manifolds fit off of the newer larger engines like the 4.6 or 4.8 found in the x5?

are the n62b48 engine made from the same block as the m62?

im obviously trying to find low cost drop in solutions that havent been explored before that i know of.

~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    02 M3
    I read that you can use E38 740i ones with small modification. I guess these are supposed to be relatively cheap

2002 BMW M3
    IR on IR

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    They do not use anything special on the 4.6 and 4.8 in the E53. Plus if you think about it, they didnt really ahve a reason to, the M5 makes more power than both and they used essentially pre-vanos "headers" on it, but with less restrictive piping after the headers (larger diameter and no "pinch" where the 02 sensor goes in like pre-vanos). Plus an SUV is geared more towards low-mid range torque, not screaming top end power.

Pre-vanos:

vanos:

4.6 E53:

4.8 E53 N62:

I do not think that any OEM replacement is worth the cost and definitely not worth the time/energy to install them.

But... if you were able to get used OEM stuff for cheap... I would probably look into pre-vanos manifolds and M5 cat section. it seems to be the best of what is available. BUT... new manifolds and cats (not even OEM) will run you close to $2k... at that point I'd just get evolve headers.

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    im eventually going to do prevanos headers as they appear to have far superior flow paths. that vanos bank 2 is so bad i have no doubt the banks make unequal power explaining unequal fuel trims.

Im mostly likely going to get a two year inspection sticker and then do a custom mid section to connect it all without cats.

btw- how much louder does a cat delete make your car?
    Last edited by topaz540i; 08-11-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    destiny
    I dont think the cat delete should make a sound difference, just a difference in smell.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    im going for the "who farted" rotten eggs smell mod.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    With wheels
    Cats are here for a good reason. If you want noise get the aftermarket headers, muffler (delete if you want), resonator.
    A car without cat(s) is even more dangerous, I think we are eating enough chemicals as it is in the food/water supplies...
    BMW OSS Master - BMW Coding, flashing, and NBT/CIC retrofits for breakfast.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    the cats are very restrictive...they do indeed reduce the sound. I wouldn't do a full cat delete however. When I did headers and high flow cats on my mine (with nothing else changed) the sound was much much much louder.

Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i
    im going for the "who farted" rotten eggs smell mod.
    Mine is a bit stinky when I stop at a light I can occasionally smell it. Otherwise I don't notice it at all when moving
    Last edited by Bricas45; 08-11-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2001 540i6 Sport
    Engine Mods: Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan MAF, M60 Intake Manifold, Dinan SC Bracketing, Dinan Crank Pulley, Vortech V2 SQ SC, water/air intercooled @ 9.5 psi, 2 heat exchangers, Intercooler piping by Wicked CAS, Vortech BOV, 42lb injectors, high flow fuel pump, Custom Tuned by ACE performance, Evosport power pullies Exhaust Mods: A1 Headers, Random Technology 100 Cell cats, Dynomax Race Bullet, Eisennman Quad Race, 3" Stainless Piping, AEM wideband Suspension Mods: Eibach springs/sway bars, Koni Sports, Powerflex, BMP strut reinforcements, Dinan Strut Bars Brake Mods: M5 Brakes, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Axxis Ultimates, Bav Auto Drilled/Slotted Rotors Transmission Mods: 3.15 with Quaife LSD , Z4M shifter, UUC Transmission Mounts, Clutchmasters FX300 Aesthetics: M5 bumpers, M5 Mirrors, M5 Trunk Lip, M5 Instrument Cluster, M-tech door sills, M-tech side molding, Style 65s with Michelin PS2s, 35% tint all around

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Bricas45, I would welcome a before/after dyno run for your ride. I don't believe that the cats are "very restrictive." The OEM cats include a muffler in the same can. Perhaps you saw more noise removing them as a result. The Butt Dyno equates noise with power.

Did anyone ever notice that the cats have a much larger cross-section than the pipes by a factor of about 3?

To all: the M62 is a low-revving engine (readline 6100 RPM). The stock headers are fine, thank you very much.

topaz540, I welcome the same b/a dyno run on your beast.
    Last edited by edjack; 08-12-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    i know you dont believe its possible to improve anything bmw has ever done but i will get a dyno. Unfortuneatly it will be months apart and people will say its inconsistant or not apples to apples due to weather or something else. The only real test of power seems to be measuring 0-60 time improvement unless i can make it to the 1/4 mile drag someday.
    Problem is, in theory its easy to prove this stuff but in the real world who owns a dyno and can get tested day in and day out? you have to admit that just looking at the pre and post vanos designs the pre are much smoother like a tubular header where the post are more cast iron mainfold style.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack
    Bricas45, I would welcome a before/after dyno run for your ride. I don't believe that the cats are "very restrictive." The OEM cats include a muffler in the same can. Perhaps you saw more noise removing them as a result. The Butt Dyno equates noise with power.

Did anyone ever notice that the cats have a much larger cross-section than the pipes by a factor of about 3?

To all: the M62 is a low-revving engine (readline 6100 RPM). The stock headers are fine, thank you very much.

topaz540, I welcome the same b/a dyno run on your beast.
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...4&d=1343698752

Hopefully that works I have posted my before and after dyno results several times.

268 to 289 rwHP. Gain is 21rwhp or about 25bhp

285 to 302 ft-lbs. gain is 17 ft-lb at wheels or 20at the crank.

The only change between these is the headers and high flow cats. So almost a 10% increase I would certainly say the vanos exhaust manifolds and cats are very restrictive... The non-vanos aren't as bad but still not great. The M5 guys see about the same gains percentage wise.

Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i
    i know you dont believe its possible to improve anything bmw has ever done but i will get a dyno. Unfortuneatly it will be months apart and people will say its inconsistant or not apples to apples due to weather or something else. The only real test of power seems to be measuring 0-60 time improvement unless i can make it to the 1/4 mile drag someday.
    Problem is, in theory its easy to prove this stuff but in the real world who owns a dyno and can get tested day in and day out? you have to admit that just looking at the pre and post vanos designs the pre are much smoother like a tubular header where the post are more cast iron mainfold style.
    Keep in mind it is a huge job! I don't really know the gains from vanos to non-vanos are worth the effort though. Also, the dyno computer does a pretty good job of calibrating out environmental changes.
    Last edited by Bricas45; 08-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    2001 540i6 Sport
    Engine Mods: Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan MAF, M60 Intake Manifold, Dinan SC Bracketing, Dinan Crank Pulley, Vortech V2 SQ SC, water/air intercooled @ 9.5 psi, 2 heat exchangers, Intercooler piping by Wicked CAS, Vortech BOV, 42lb injectors, high flow fuel pump, Custom Tuned by ACE performance, Evosport power pullies Exhaust Mods: A1 Headers, Random Technology 100 Cell cats, Dynomax Race Bullet, Eisennman Quad Race, 3" Stainless Piping, AEM wideband Suspension Mods: Eibach springs/sway bars, Koni Sports, Powerflex, BMP strut reinforcements, Dinan Strut Bars Brake Mods: M5 Brakes, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Axxis Ultimates, Bav Auto Drilled/Slotted Rotors Transmission Mods: 3.15 with Quaife LSD , Z4M shifter, UUC Transmission Mounts, Clutchmasters FX300 Aesthetics: M5 bumpers, M5 Mirrors, M5 Trunk Lip, M5 Instrument Cluster, M-tech door sills, M-tech side molding, Style 65s with Michelin PS2s, 35% tint all around

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    Any news?
    e39 540i 6speed Supercharged,
    E36 v8 m62 with m60 headers, Turbp HX-40 0.6-0.5bar or 9psi, custom exhaust & Turbo manifold, injectors 440cc, ECU Invent EMS-2, Mishimoto Intercooler and oilcooler, etc…