Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i buy an e30 as a first car?

My Cars
    process of buying one

should i buy an e30 as a first car?

Hi eveyone!
    I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd ask you guys for advice. I need help deciding whether or not its a good idea to buy an e30 as my first car. I'm 20yrs old, I work and go to college and have saved about 4000 to buy a car and 1500 for maintenance after buying it. I did some research and if i do buy an e30 it would be preferably a 1991 318is because it's a 4cylinder, good on gas, not so expensive on insurance, and probably cheaper to maintain. ( that's what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong) I dont have a lot of experience with cars but I'm willing to learn how to do the basics myself by reading books, looking online, and asking here. I heard that this car Is great for that learning experience. I'm not looking to make quick mods to the car, just something that looks great, is reliable and fun! What do u guys think? Is it a good idea?
    All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    1991 325i
    my first was an e30, i think they are great first cars if you are willing to do the work yourself
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Get a decent one and a little maintenance you will be happy
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    My first e30 was a '91 325iX and I loved it so much that I eventually came back and now have a '90 325i.

I would recommend a 325 over a 318 simply for power. It's nice to have the extra power when you need it or when you want to have fun. My 325i gets 20mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. If it were a 5 speed it would be a little better, so the gas mileage with a 325 can actually be pretty good if you don't have the pedal touching the floor all the time
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    process of buying one
    is it just because of the power? is the level of maintenance the same?

Its because I'm going to be under my moms insurance and she prefers a 4 cylinder, because of insurance cost (from what i understand)

My Cars
    1991 325i
    have a look at what insurance with 6cyl vs 4cyl difference really is. my 91 325i was less to insure than my 92 S10 pickup was.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    process of buying one
    ok, if thats the case ill end up going with a 325 thanks!

My Cars
    1991 325i e30
    get an e30!!! no regrets!!! there amazing cars!!! superb handling...hugs the road liek no other!!!

My Cars
    hoveround
    Quote Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
    My 325i gets 20mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. If it were a 5 speed it would be a little better, so the gas mileage with a 325 can actually be pretty good if you don't have the pedal touching the floor all the time
    Ehhh.. I dunno if I would call 20 mpg pretty good. I get 26/7 mpg in 50/50 with the m42 and I wish it were a little better. I understand the power difference, but with the e30's it's only a 30hp difference between the 4 and 6. Personally, I'll take the extra 7 mpg.
    As far as maintenance, they should both be about the same honestly. Although the m42 does have a timing chain instead of a belt. But even the chain system isn't without it's kinks.

I wouldn't let the engine size dictate your purchase. Find the best maintained e30 (88-91) in your price range and go from there. They are all fun cars to drive. And a well maintained one will save you tons of headaches in the long run.

My Cars
    97 e38; 01 e38
    I had one as my first. And another as my second.

My Cars
    process of buying one
    Yea ive heard nothing but good things about these cars, which influenced my decision to buy one. At this point Ill probably be better off with something that has better mpg. It'll help me be able to go home more often and be more convenient.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    My first car was a 1991 318is, i couldnt have asked for more!! it was an amazing an reliable

Last edited by e30ls1 drifter; 07-19-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: new at this

My Cars
    E30 323i - E28 M535i
    Quote Originally Posted by RsKeyz View Post
    I wouldn't let the engine size dictate your purchase. Find the best maintained e30 (88-91) in your price range and go from there. They are all fun cars to drive. And a well maintained one will save you tons of headaches in the long run.
    ^This,
    is spot on

Well said

My Cars
    process of buying one
    Ive been looking twice a day everyday for a month on craigslist and I can't seem to find one that I truly want or is well maintained. I'm running out of patience and now that I have more advice I can't wait to finally get one! Lol

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i e30
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I purchased a 1990 325i for my first car about one year ago and I can honestly say e30's are sex to drive, after some basic maintenance and suspension work, killer car. Im 21 and basically did the same thing you are talking about. Wasn't too mechanically inclined at first, but learned on this car. No regrets.

My Cars
    87 325ic
    Do it.. my first car was an e30 and in still driving it of course I'm only 20 but its my DD for now

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by RsKeyz View Post
    Ehhh.. I dunno if I would call 20 mpg pretty good. I get 26/7 mpg in 50/50 with the m42 and I wish it were a little better. I understand the power difference, but with the e30's it's only a 30hp difference between the 4 and 6. Personally, I'll take the extra 7 mpg.
    As far as maintenance, they should both be about the same honestly. Although the m42 does have a timing chain instead of a belt. But even the chain system isn't without it's kinks.

20 is good, 26/7 is great. It's true that a 318 will be leaps and bounds better for gas mileage. Personally, I prefer the extra power. 7mpg more, for me, would only be an extra day or so of driving, so not a big difference, really.

And for engine size, you make a good point, however I think you should buy the car that you want, not just settle for what comes up. My recommendation would be to drive both and decide which one is right for you, then wait for that one to come along. You don't want to buy a 4 and later wish you had a 6, or vice versa.
    -Chris

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il
    Insurance wise the 90-91 models will be cheapest because of they have an air bag. I'm 19 and a e30 is my 2nd car (first one I bought tho) and I love it every day. The 2.5 doesn't get bad gas mileage at all and mine is an auto. I advice you to get a 5 speed and with a budget as large as yours you should be able to find a 91 325is well in range

My Cars
    88 iX, 92 325i,01 325xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by dak1b View Post
    get an e30!!! no regrets!!! there amazing cars!!! superb handling...hugs the road liek no other!!!
    Errrr, haven't you had your e30 for all of about 20 minutes? I hate to think what you will be like if the car turns out to be reliable too.

OP, this question comes up all the time. The answer is that there is not really a single answer. We had two e30's as first or nearly first cars in our family. Both were relatively reliable, safe for their ages, fun to drive and handled very well. Neither was especially cheap to keep doing all of that. Insurance was twice what we had been paying for an MG that all three kids drove at least for a few months. If you can turn a wrench or are willing to learn that moves the meter toward a yes. So does a job to raise the funds to have things done. Or rich and doting parents or grandparents. If you are just a typical kid with an allowance, soccer practice and an expensive girlfriend, you may find an e30 stretches the budget. Tje best advice that I have seen here is to drive several different cars. See what suits you (and your budget) and buy the best car you can afford while holding back some bucks for R&M.

My Cars
    1986 bmw 325e
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/3148832946.html
    theres an e30 for you
    its a nice one
    great first car!

My Cars
    84 340i, 00 540i/6 M
    I'd do it. If you have some mechanical knowledge and willing to learn some, these can be great cars. I have the 325e with the m20...its slow but has enough low end grunt to make it fun and gets great gas mileage. Couldn't tell you exactly how well because I don't have an odometer, but, a $40 fill up will last me about a week driving as I do.

My 5.9 Jeep, $40 is gone in about 2 daays.

I'm 19 and this is also the cheapest car I've ever insured. With two vehicles on my own policy, the Jeep with full coverage, I'm paying $120 a month.

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    I'd do it. If you have some mechanical knowledge and willing to learn some, these can be great cars. I have the 325e with the m20...its slow but has enough low end grunt to make it fun and gets great gas mileage. Couldn't tell you exactly how well because I don't have an odometer, but, a $40 fill up will last me about a week driving as I do.

My 5.9 Jeep, $40 is gone in about 2 daays.

I'm 19 and this is also the cheapest car I've ever insured. With two vehicles on my own policy, the Jeep with full coverage, I'm paying $120 a month.
    $40/week with an e isn't very good unless you drive a lot. I drive about 40 miles/day and can go about a week and a half with my 325i.

Also, that insurance payment is a bit high. I'm at $150/month for both my Bimmers and my Chrysler, my wife's Toyota, and our house insurance. Of course, it's a bit higher for teens, too.
    -Chris

My Cars
    1990 325ix
    I agree with a lot that has been said. I am glad you have the perspective that you will need $ for maintenance as soon as you get the car... cars at this level are not sold in top condition. There is always something that needs attention... I might even drop that ratio some... more like a $3-3.5k car and $2k in expenses.

When I buy cars I like to throw a lot of money at them when I first buy them to really set me up for a period of maintenance free driving. If you really maintain the hell out of the car, you can set yourself up for periods of hassle free driving... if you try to nickle and dime your way around maintenance then you will always have a problem on the horizon. Read up on here and GET A BENTLEY book and do all the "while I am in there" things and you will be happy in the long run.

You're in LA. I think there seem to be a lot better cars on the west coast than on the east, or at least it seems that way. Being away from the rust must help that. Don't let your location limit you... I've flown to buy cars before... if it is the right car, it is worth the weekend of effort to get it home, when balanced against years of ownership!

Buy the best car you can find. The cost between 325 and 318 is really negligible when compared with the overall cost of owning. You want a strong record of maintenence... any car can be power washed to look good. Also, when deciding between two cars, I always go with the one that has the things I cannot do in better shape (I'll take good paint over a new suspension, for I can redo a suspension). And if you want working AC, buy a car with working AC... save yourself the hassle and cost!
    Last edited by Dub-Dub; 07-19-2012 at 04:09 PM.

My Cars
    Bicycle
    I would get the 318 if you are just commuting, much better MPG. I have a 91 318is as a DD and I get about 28-30 MPG (25 miles one way, 90% fwy). 20 MPG imo is terrible if you are only getting 170hp in a sub-3000lbs car.

With an ECU chip, the car feels a lot better.
    Last edited by justint5387; 07-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.

My Cars
    process of buying one
    Thanks for all the help everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by red88ix View Post
    OP, this question comes up all the time. The answer is that there is not really a single answer. We had two e30's as first or nearly first cars in our family. Both were relatively reliable, safe for their ages, fun to drive and handled very well. Neither was especially cheap to keep doing all of that. Insurance was twice what we had been paying for an MG that all three kids drove at least for a few months. If you can turn a wrench or are willing to learn that moves the meter toward a yes. So does a job to raise the funds to have things done. Or rich and doting parents or grandparents. If you are just a typical kid with an allowance, soccer practice and an expensive girlfriend, you may find an e30 stretches the budget. Tje best advice that I have seen here is to drive several different cars. See what suits you (and your budget) and buy the best car you can afford while holding back some bucks for R&M.

Yea, I'm more than willing to learn how to work on the car myself, at least the simple basics for now, until i expand my knowledge. As for the more difficult things that'll need fixing, I'm hoping my job will be enough to help me pay for. I am the typical college kid but my little extra cash will go towards the car instead of parties hahaha. That's why I'm taking my time to find the perfect car near my area that's well maintained, because i can't afford to be spending my money to travel and look at cars, and in the end not have enough to buy one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast