Thread: Does any have a z3 2.8 M52TU with tempomat / cruise control?

My Cars
    z3 coupe 2.8

Does any have a z3 2.8 M52TU with tempomat / cruise control?

Hello I am retrofitted cruise control in some Z3, some with electronic gas pedal and some with cable gas pedal. In some there are just needed 2 parts and in others a lot more, but it is possible to retrofit.

I have done it in 1.9, 2.2, 2.8(singel vanos), 3.0 and 3.2, all came with some wiring preinstalled

The problem is with 2 z3 2.8 M52TU (double vanos), canīt finde the conector for the cruise control actuator that must go near the motor and has a bowden cable. In the other z3 is near the fuse box but in this models I cant find it also can see where the actuator can be placed.

Since that I have been searching for a z3 2.8 double vanos with cruise control but with no results, so I am starting to think if in this specific model is was not possible to have cruise control and either to retrofit it.

The 3.0 that it is very similar does not need this actuator since it has electronic gas pedal...

Does anybody have a Z3 double vanos with cruise control if so please let me know.

Thank you and sorry about my English I am more used to read rather than writting.

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    The only US Z3 without cruise standard was the 99-00 2.3, so there aren't many here that have done the retrofit, but there are lots of M52TU cars out there with cruise, so it's certainly possible.

My Cars
    z3 coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    The only US Z3 without cruise standard was the 99-00 2.3, so there aren't many here that have done the retrofit, but there are lots of M52TU cars out there with cruise, so it's certainly possible.
    Thank you.

Do you someone with M52TU and cruise control?

I have am getting mad, I first search all the sales in my country with no good results, know I have expand my search to whole europe and found al least two sales that show the cruise control switch and the motor M52B28TU, now I am writting them asking for pics of the control actuator, to see where is located.

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    I have cruise control on mine. What is it you are looking for? Pics of the control module?

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    I have cruise control on mine as well. '99 M52TU 2.8

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    The retrofit kit is part# 65 71 0 007 353. Good discussion of the issues here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...control&page=1

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    There is no cruise control actuator on an M52tu. It's all done in software through the throttle body, which on the M52tu, is both cable actuated *and* motor-actuated.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    z3 coupe 2.8
    Exactly I am looking where this go in you cars and where the electrical wire comes from. In others Z it is located where we have the coolant tank.

If you can take some photos I will be very pleased.

Tomorrow I will take some photos of my car indicating the area where I thing it is supposed to be.

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    There is no cruise control actuator on an M52tu. It's all done in software through the throttle body, which on the M52tu, is both cable actuated *and* motor-actuated.
    Wooou!! Can you explain a bit more that? As I can see my pedal actuate a cable that goes to the throtltle body, so I dont know how the cruise control unit can control the throttle body without the actuator, are you sure of that?
    Last edited by puntoloco; 07-17-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by puntoloco View Post
    Wooou!! Can you explain a bit more that? As I can see my pedal actuate a cable that goes to the throtltle body, so I dont know how the cruise control unit can control the throttle body without the actuator, are you sure of that?
    I am 100% certain.

The part in your photo is used on an M52/S52, not on an M52tu/M54. On the M52tu, the throttle cable attaches to the "rear" side of the throttle body, and there's a motor on the front side. The motor can move the plate to open it (cruise control) or close it (traction control). The whole cruise control function is done in software. EDIT: I should also add that the motor side doubles as the throttle position sensor.

This is an M52tu throttle body:

Last edited by JoshS; 07-18-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Better pic
    I like the unicorns.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I am 100% certain.

The part in your photo is used on an M52/S52, not on an M52tu/M54. On the M52tu, the throttle cable attaches to the "rear" side of the throttle body, and there's a motor on the front side. The motor can move the plate to open it (cruise control) or close it (traction control). The whole cruise control function is done in software. EDIT: I should also add that the motor side doubles as the throttle position sensor.

+1... What he said!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    z3 coupe 2.8
    Ok I don't need the actuator.

I put the cruise control switch 61318360926 connected to this interface 65718380054 and that connected to the car.

Then I put the cruise control clutch switch 61318360421 and connected to the car

Go for a walk and does not function, so I assume I need the unit that goes behind the glovebox. I unmount the glovebox and see that the unit is missing and there is room for it, but cant find the connector...

So? Please help me I am really desesperate.

Thank you...

According to realoem this is my cruise control unit 65718375498

I think it goes behind the glovebox but there I can't see any conector for it...

PD: If I manage to rum my cruise control I will make a very good DIY.

PD2: Also I can pay a little if someone with my motor and cruise control send me good pictures of his unit behind the glovebox or where it goes. It is just a few bolts... I pay 5$ per bolt. I am really frustrated with this...
    Last edited by puntoloco; 07-18-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    I don't think you need a separate module, but I'm not sure what came in the retrofit kit. You probably just need to program your existing ECU to tell it to enable cruise control.
    I like the unicorns.

My Cars
    z3 coupe 2.8
    Works!!

Thank you Josh!!

Just need the switch, the interface for the switch and the clutch switch.

There are two causes for not working, me not pressing enough time the switch to active the cruise or maybe as I disconect all the units behing my glovebox searching where to put the unit and then reconeccting them make them recognize the retrofit of cruise control...

Dont really now what happen but now it is working!!

Thank you all specially josh!!

Now it is only left heated seats for a full-equip coupe!!

Since now I have retrofitted, heated mirrors, heated washers, vertical cargo net and now cruise control.

Also done a lot of mods, bbs lm, 330 e46 front brakes, no cats, no muffler, steel brake lines, modded airbox, yellow fog lights, door handles in car color...

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Roadster
    I am 100% certain.

JoshS this is from 8 years ago....im wondering if u r still out there as i have questions regarding this exact issue

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogall View Post
    JoshS this is from 8 years ago....im wondering if u r still out there as i have questions regarding this exact issue
    I am still around.
    I like the unicorns.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Roadster
    I am still around.
    Sent u a pm....not sure if u got it though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    I have a 1999 2.3 with M52TU, MFG date is 10/98. Can I install the column cruise switch and the control interface as described in this thread as the OP to add cruise or was the 2.3 an odd ball?
    Dave
    2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Schwartz in and out
    2001 330xi, My DD
    1999 Z3 2.3, Montreal Blue with Beige int, Schwartz Top

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Yes, and if you need a switch, lower column panel, and FGR interface module I can help you out. I added the M5 cruise control and audio buttons, and it doesn't require an interface or switch assembly to use that setup anymore so I removed mine to get some extra driver legroom.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    Awesome - How much for the parts? I would also like to understand the M5 cruise mod...
    Last edited by MissileMech; 06-07-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    Dave
    2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Schwartz in and out
    2001 330xi, My DD
    1999 Z3 2.3, Montreal Blue with Beige int, Schwartz Top

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I would love to have cruise in my M52TU. Well, let me rephrase: the car has cruise, but was born an automatic and manual swapped before I bought it. There is no clutch switch. PO told me the cruise worked, but it never has for me. Any ideas where to start? I'm guessing the brake switch is the only link on an auto, besides of course being in D.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Consider checking your brake light bulbs, they're in the control circuit and if the holders or bulbs are corroded or damaged and working intermittently, your cruise won't work.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    I would love to have cruise in my M52TU. Well, let me rephrase: the car has cruise, but was born an automatic and manual swapped before I bought it. There is no clutch switch. PO told me the cruise worked, but it never has for me. Any ideas where to start? I'm guessing the brake switch is the only link on an auto, besides of course being in D.
    You may not need a clutch switch. If your DME still thinks its an automatic car, a clutch switch may not be needed. I would check the digital inputs of the DME with a good scanner with BMW software such as INPA to see if the clutch switch is checked (black dot). Likely found in the FGR section. You can also check that all the other switches on the cruise control stalk are working.

If you need a clutch switch. I recommend putting in a 3 wire clutch switch. Some early M52TU's had a rev hang problem when coming out of cruise control when fitted with a 2 wire clutch switch.

The early M52Tu's (9/98 to 3/99) also had a reverse switch input into the DME for the cruise control. If you have an early M52TU, then check out the wiring modification for where the EGS used to be.

If the cruise control is claimed to have worked after the manual modification. Scan the DME for a BLS/BTS plausibility code. This means that the brake light switch has a faulty contact and will not allow the cruise control to work.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.