Thread: before i take the RTAs to the shop...

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL

before i take the RTAs to the shop...

i've beaten the baby jesus out of my driver's side rear axle shaft... good god, it's so stuck. i knew it'd be bad, but not like this. this is insane. my garage smells like steamed PB Blaster, anger, and anxiety. here's what i've tried so far:

• punch w/ padded head and 3lb hammer after soaking over night in WD40
    • PB soak, and more hammering
    • MAPP torch for ~10 minutes, more hammering
    • PB soak, MAPP torch, upgraded to 5lb hammer and obscenities
    • MORE PB, more torch, more PB, more torch, took the pad off the head of the punch and beat the ever loving hell out of it

i finally got creative with a 5 ton harbor freight pneumatic clawed press - i got the center to fit over the shaft by putting the nut back on a few turns, putting my socket over it, then putting one of my brake tool adapters over the socket after punching a spot in the center for the pneumatic shaft to sit on, and put enough force on it i was worried about bending the hub. i left it on while soaking it in PB (yeah, both sides) and torching it... no dice. tried the hammer again one last time and am soundly defeated.

it's totally disassembled except for the shaft. i don't think it's coming apart. like, ever. i haven't even tried taking the passenger side off... it may be time to replace the car.

i've reached out to the local bimmer shop to see if i can just take in the RTAs in a piece, press the shafts out and take care of anything else (bearings, hubs, CV joints)...

anything else i should try before that? any words of warning or advice? i've read a handful of similar threads - but in case i missed anything, let me know...
    Last edited by pwhitt; 06-07-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by pwhitt View Post
    i've beaten the baby jesus out of my driver's side rear axle shaft... good god, it's so stuck. i knew it'd be bad, but not like this. this is insane. my garage smells like steamed PB Blaster, anger, and anxiety. here's what i've tried so far:

• punch w/ padded head and 3lb hammer after soaking over night in WD40
    • PB soak, and more hammering
    • MAPP torch for ~10 minutes, more hammering
    • PB soak, MAPP torch, upgraded to 5lb hammer and obscenities
    • MORE PB, more torch, more PB, more torch, took the pad off the head of the punch and beat the ever loving hell out of it

i finally got creative with a 5 ton harbor freight pneumatic clawed press - i got the center to fit over the shaft by putting the nut back on a few turns, putting my socket over it, then putting one of my brake tool adapters over the socket after punching a spot in the center for the pneumatic shaft to sit on, and put enough force on it i was worried about bending the hub. i left it on while soaking it in PB (yeah, both sides) and torching it... no dice. tried the hammer again one last time and am soundly defeated.

it's totally disassembled except for the shaft. i don't think it's coming apart. like, ever. i haven't even tried taking the passenger side off... it may be time to replace the car.

i've reached out to the local bimmer shop to see if i can just take in the RTAs in a piece, press the shafts out and take care of anything else (bearings, hubs, CV joints)...

anything else i should try before that? any words of warning or advice? i've read a handful of similar threads - but in case i missed anything, let me know...
    Air hammer with a round punch/chisel?

When I changed mine the first time I was sure to put antisieze on the splines. Every subsequent time they came out easy as pie

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Sounds like it’s really stuck. I’d try the puller and the sledge at the same time.

The puller ties on to the hub with the lugs iirc. Then you can crank down a threaded shaft that pushes on the axle. Hit the end of threaded shaft with the sledge.

There’s a video on YouTube that I saw but now I’m not finding it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Please remind me to never ever attempt to replace my rear wheel bearings.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Randy F has posted pictures using the official BMW tool and force multiplier for this job. I think there is a danger of mushrooming the shaft by pounding on it and that makes it harder to get out.

I rented a bearing tool and used a long tube to get extra leverage. I still ended up bending the bearing tool.

IMG_20150730_204342.jpg

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Well, the shaft is just starting to show scars, so that's why I'm giving up. The nut still threads fully down, so I think it's still ok.

The local shop will press them out. I'll get bearings and anything else while at it.

To all of you who defeat this with a hammer and patience: kudos to you!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Did you try putting the axle nut on it backwards, and beating it with a 5/10lb sledge like it ran over your dog?

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyMaddox View Post
    Did you try putting the axle nut on it backwards, and beating it with a 5/10lb sledge like it ran over your dog?
    LOL. i love my dogs. that would not be good for the car. but thanks.

i put the nut on right-way-out, about 4 threads. that was so i could put the socket on it, then use the pneumatic to put stupid pressure on it while torching and calling it names.

too late now - RTAs are in the trunk of another car, destined for the shop.
    Cheers,
    Phil