XRIMS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Ship Wheels, Must Read!

My Cars
    95 540/6
    So upon the good reviews of this thread I tried using ShipNEX.

I will admit they were about 30% cheaper than any other shipper. I packaged my wheels/tires just like it was shown above, spoke with the UPS delivery driver when he picked them up, and verified that the way they were packaged was indeed acceptable and would not constitute any type of repackaging, handling charges etc.

I also overbilled myself by 10-15% on each measurement (H x L x W) and an extra 15% on the weight so I would not run into any COD billing for the recipient or backcharges on my end.

More than 2 weeks after UPS delivered to the recipient I got an e-mail Friday night from ShipNEX saying I owed roughly 25% of the shipping cost again. When I disputed the charge I got a form email response saying it was packaged improperly and then ignored. Monday I got an actual letter saying it was a fuel surcharge and not a packaging mistake.

Tuesday (today) they emailed me to say they autodrafted money from the card I used under their Terms/Conditions that I had not been in contact with them to dispute it.

When I called them on the phone I was told that it is automated and that if I don't dispute it will automatically charge the card unless a billing agent puts a hold on the charge. When I said I specifically stated that I disputes the charge Friday I was told to forward the email to their "billing email" which had already been CC'ed the since Friday but supposedly they had no copies of anything from me.

So to sum up they waited 2 weeks to bill me on a bogus charge they couldn't even keep straight between them and within 24 hours of receiving an actual paper invoice (dated 11 days ago btw) they take it upon themselves to take their money regardless of whether or not you actually did dispute the charge.

Would not use again and would not recommend them.

My Cars
    93 e36 325i 4d
    they charged you bc as i said a long time ago, ups charges extra for not being in boxes. I shipped tires without rims, just a tire wrapped like that say to in this posting. and was charged an extra 15 for not being in a box. UPS charges this so shipnex will have to be charged and pass it on to you. I don't see anywhere on any of the pro wheel/tire sites were they show pictures similar to how they show to package them like this. I do remember about 7-8 years ago i did put tires along off tire rack and they did ship them not in a package. But ups must have changed policy bc i was charged 2times for the tires not in a box.

My Cars
    Required Field Missing
    Shipped a set of 6 wheels in 3 boxes using this process and it could not have gone better. It was definitely the cheapest and really not difficult at all.

If I wasn't going to use ShipNEX I'd use Greyhound PackagExpress.

My Cars
    323iT / '99 323i

Wheel Shipping, Step 10: suggested modification

While stuffing a box with padding works, this adds weight. It takes what might be a useful item from another potential purpose and the reciever has to dispose of it. Instead, slit the sides of the box at the corners to the height of the contents. Then fold over and tape snugly. The contents will shift much less that way. Tape is cheap; use plenty.

Also,
    • The box is easier to carry if the wheels are loaded faces together, especially for larger wheels. The worst way to pack is with the faces at either end of the box.
    • Cleaning the wheel, especially the faces, reduces the chances of scratching as does placing a rag / bubble wrap / felt / etc. between the face and double-wall sheet.
    • Double-boxing is generally sufficient. If you are really anal about the edges, wrap them with a small-diameter pool "noodle" that is slit down one side.
      Each wheel needs 2. A short (5 ft) noodle will cover an 18" wheel completely. It is adequate for a 19" wheel, too with a small gap: just face the gap toward a corner of the box. The longer ones will easily protect 22s. They are cheap, but doing this will double the cost of packing materials.

My Cars
    1991 325iX Sedan
    Good ideas, good write up...thanks!

My Cars
    in Between bimmers
    nice update

My Cars
    thanks for the info !!

My Cars
    1985 M635
    I have a couple packing/shipping tips to share. (1) use painters masking tape to protect the outer lips of wheels. A double thickness of tape on each wheel does a nice job. (2) get a 24" length of 5/16" or 1/2" threaded rod, along with 4 washers and 4 lock nuts for each pair of wheels ... see picture. (3) Cut the 24" threaded rod into two 12" lengths and use them, the washers and the lock nuts to bolt two wheels tightly together (face to face). (4) cut up a couple cardboard boxes and wrap the wheels as shown. This size package and weight will often allow you to ship wheels by USPS ..... which I have found to be cheaper than UPS or Fed-X. I am a wheel whore and have shipped at least a dozen sets of wheels this way (one set to Australia) ..... never any damage.

Last edited by Ed Lyerly; 03-12-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    ================
    1985 M635 (gone but not forgotten)
    1994 850CSi (also gone but not forgotten)
    1985 M635 (current obsession)

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Shipped 4 wheels/tires using the first method. I was also hit with a $34 invoice for not boxing the product. It is clearely stated on their website, so I didn't fight it.
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    E30 M3's... many
    Awesome writeup!! My understanding from talking to a UPS rep is that if items are not fully enclosed in cardboard boxes and encased with 2" thick of bubble wrap, then your items are not insured. Of course, no one will tell you that until you make a claim. That's when they point to their packaging standards and to your signature agreeing to it. Yes Tire Rack and others ship tires with just cardboard faces, but, they are self insured too. The devil is in the details.
    Ron ///Man

'91 E30 M3
    #80 DM Club Racer
    #89 M3T Club Racer
    #88 SE46 Club Racer Enduro Car
    '06 E46 ZHP Sparkling Graphite

My Cars
    None
    Hello everyone, i stumbled across this thread while on google looking on how to ship wheels and tires. Awesome information, i've learned a ton thanks a lot. I have a couple of questions though about using shipnex. When ordering a lable for wheels and tires do you create one label for each wheel/tire and stick it on the tire? Also do i have to add the dimensions of the tire or can i only use the weight? Thank you for any help.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    This thread is awesome. Kudos on the tips and pictures!
    Avus blue '95 M3 A/T
    Vouches:
    Oxide36, sikdogg, trayson

My Cars
    1993 BMW E36 325i Sedan
    awesome advice! I'm just still worried about buying used wheels from USA since I am in Canada. I work in a warehouse and it's almost non existent for a box to be in perfect condition when we receive it. It's basically up to the shipper on how they want to package your product before sending it off. I don't think I would buy wheels used from USA just because I don't want to take the risk of the shipping company damaging the wheel during shipping.

My Cars
    02 M3 Cabrio, 06 k1200s
    And this is what you can do if your wheels are larger than 18". Put 2 layers on face. Then folded twice (four layer) the foam and tied around front and back lips. Then rolled the wheel in the two sides of large box. And bent the edges in. And finished same as it would be with tire.

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected.", Tyler Durden, Fight Club.

------------------
    CURRENT
    2002 M3 conv - '07; 2006 k1200s - '09; 1998 M3 CB coupe - '10; 2004 X3 - '13

My Cars
    02 M3 Cabrio, 06 k1200s
    Fyi: fedex is cheapest to ship large packages such as wheels. About $4 cheaper per wheel than USPS parcel post or UPS ground. You can register for account online.

------------------
    CURRENT

My Cars
    09 M3, 97 Viper, 92 NSX
    I just used Shipnex and followed the "howtoshipwheels.com" method of shipping a wheel/tire combo to a T.

While Shipnex's prices were unbeatable, I was a bit irritated to get an additional $35 penalty since the four items were not "FULLY ENCASED IN CARDBOARD". The only part that was not encased was the tread but it had about 5 layers of stretch-wrap on them and I doubled up the cardboard on the faces of the wheels.

They also sent out BOTH UPS and FEDEX to my house and since UPS was on my invoice, I turned FedEx away (which was a bit confusing and probably ended up costing me more because of the surcharge of not having the wheels fully encased in cardboard).

As others have said, just be aware you may incur this additional cost if you follow the above directions.

My Cars
    E30M, E36M, E61TT
    Got the same penalty. Will not use Shipnex again.

My Cars
    02 M3 Cabrio, 06 k1200s
    FedEx account has been best on prices in my experience. Too bad they don't always know where to deliver. ..

------------------
    CURRENT

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKB View Post
    Good Advice
    for those doubting round package this is how both Tire Rack and Discountire Direct pack their wheel and tire packages

So when shipping like this the tire is being shipped with or without a rim ? and if it is shipped with a rim the only difference in the shipping info would be the weight ? Just checking as im trying to reduce the cost of shipping rims+tires from germany

My Cars
    '00 Z3MC, '15 4Runner
    Wrapped my two boxes (two wheels each) with the cling wrap, then taped around it for extra security.

Dropped off at FedEx (used Shipnex and got a better price than UPS or FedEx, though I didn't know there was a discount if I created a FedEx account).

FedEx worker told me, "next time, don't wrap the plastic wrap around the boxes -- it gets shredded and gums up the conveyer belts."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Noted and shared.
    2000 Z3M Coupe, Cosmos Black, Supercharged: Randy Forbes' magic subframe kit, Vortech/Dinan Supercharger, TCKlien DA front and rear suspension, TCKlien Camber Plates, H&R front sway, Clutchmasters FX300 w/LW steel FW, UUC tranny mount brace, UUC SS clutch line with CDV delete, Turner Shorty Headers, B&B TriFlo exhaust, SS brake lines, dual-ear E36 M3 diff, IE subframe bushings, Whalen Shift Machine and E-brake handle, PLX DM100 gauge+sensors, aftermarket audio, Apex wheel studs, and even a Euro glovebox/driver's side knee panel swap

SOLD
    2006 Z4M Coupe, Sepang Bronze:
    Stromung exhaust, DFK Section 1 w/resonators, RPI ram air intake, and Whalen Shift Machine.

"BMW - Designed by Germans, driven by tossers." --Jeremy Clarkson

BMW CCA #375064

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850I CB73435
    Thank you for the excellent advice, it is appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12