XRIMS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Ship Wheels, Must Read!

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP,05 M3,TRD Taco

How to Ship Wheels, Must Read!

I think most of us on here will find these DIY write ups useful for providing cost effective shipping for wheels, wheels with tires & tires.

How to Package & Ship Wheels w/ Tires

Shipping wheels with tires can be costly if you don’t choose the right shipping provider & you pay someone else to package them.

Shopping List

1. 2 Medium Size Storage Boxes (Home Depot has these for $.69 each)
    2. 50 Sheets of Dish Foam (Home Depot has a roll for $6.97)
    3. 1000 Feet Stretch Wrap (Home Depot has this for $4.97, 1000ft is the smallest size)
    4. Packing Tape (Home Depot has this for $3.37 for a large roll, you only need 3ft of tape for 4 wheels)
    5. 1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades ($1.98 @ Home Depot)

Step 1
    Lay Medium Sized box out flat
    Cut Box in Half

Step 2
    Open up box after cutting in half
    Lay cleaned wheel on top
    Cut excess material away

Step 3
    Place at least 2 sheets of dish foam on face of wheel
    Tape dish foam to tire so it doesn't move around

Step 4
    Secure large circular piece of cardboard over dish wrap to the face of the wheel.
    Cut excess material into partitions that will be used for back of wheel.

Step 5
    Use packing tape to secure partitions in place

Step 6
    Use 100% recyclable packing wrap to wrap the wheels and tires in any motion (Rocking the wheel back and forth works well)
    The tighter the packing wrap, the more secure & protected the wheel will be in transit

Step 7
    Repeat 4 times
    Check out ShipNex Worldwide Express for the most cost effective shipping rates.
    Print shipping labels from ShipNex
    Attach to wheels & tires (not pictured)
    Request pick up for ~ $6, or take down to local UPS store

Step 8
    Share with others, avoid high shipping costs from store front retailers & use ShipNex!
    Notes:
    ShipNex can offer the most cost effective solutions to your shipping needs, because of the wholesale rates available and contracts they hold with FedEx & UPS. ShipNex uses FedEx for Express Shipments & UPS for any Ground Shipments.
    When I compared prices to ship a set of wheels & tires (18 x 8.5 w/ 235/35/18 tyres ~210lbs) I was quoted $416 via UPS, $376 via USPS, $308 via FedEx, and $206 via ShipNex to ship from the West Coast to the East Coast.
    How to Package & Ship Wheels w/o Tires

Without a tire to protect the rim, special care is needed when packaging and shipping.

Shopping List

1. 2 Medium Size Storage Boxes: For wheels up to 17 x 8 ($1.12 each @ Home Depot)
    2. Large Size Storage Boxes: For wheels larger than 17x8 ($1.32 each @ Home Depot)
    3. 50 Sheets of Dish Foam (Home Depot has a roll for $6.97)
    4. 1000ft Stretch Wrap- Optional (Home Depot has this for $4.97, 1000ft is the smallest size)
    5. Packing Tape (Home Depot has this for $3.37 for a large roll, you only need 3ft of tape for 4 wheels)
    6. 1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades ($1.98 @ Home Depot)

Step 2
    Build box by pulling each opposing corner out, so that the flaps secure themselves.
    Generously apply packing tape going both directions.

Step 3
    Lay medium size box out flat.
    Cut box in half.

Step 4
    Open one of the halves and cut that in half.
    Lay the wheel on top of the box and cut the excess material away.

Step 5
    Use Dish Packing Foam or bubble wrap around the wheel to protect the lips and face of the wheel.

Step 6
    Attach cardboard squares to the face and the back of the wheel.

Step 7
    Place both wheels in box face to face. (this makes it easier to carry & safer for transport)

Step 8
    Secure with packing tape when the box is half closed.
    Complete taping with the box completely closed

Step 9
    Wrap Stretch Wrap around the corners of the box.
    Go across the top and bottom in an "X" pattern covering the tape.

Step 10
    Check out ShipNex Worldwide Express for the most cost effective shipping rates.
    Print shipping labels from ShipNex
    Attach to boxes (not pictured)
    Request pick up for ~ $6, or take down to local UPS store
    How to Package & Ship Tires

Shipping tires doesn't require a box- it's as simple as printing & attaching a label from ShipNex Worldwide Express.

Hope this helps anyone shipping their wheels with or without tires!
    Last edited by Bucko2; 01-08-2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Rehosted Photos

My Cars
    03 540i
    do you take paypal for advice?

My Cars
    318is
    Great!!

I said a ten-second car, not a ten-minute car.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Very nice! I got a shipping quote from UPS yesterday and it was $60 to package my wheels Thanks!

My Cars
    06 E60 550I/93 Acura Leg
    very informative!

My Cars
    93 e36 325i 4d
    ups charges extra for a rounded package, they would surely damage rims if packed like that. use Double corrugated boxes and pickup the large foam insulation tubing from home depot, cut it in half to wrap the edges of the rim and then use a double walled(aka corrugated) box. best way to ship a rim and NOT have ups or noname ???shipnex???? break it.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP,05 M3,TRD Taco
    I just used ShipNex and they outsource to UPS (for ground shipments) and FedEx for any expedited shipments.

I went to UPS first and they quoted me something like $170 to ship 4 wheels from CA to WA. I left, went home, did some google searching and found what I posted above. Funny thing is I printed the shipping labels and they had UPS on the label. I took them back to the same store front UPS retailer store and dropped them off.

Only difference was I paid $78, and had to print the shipping labels myself. I did get insurance & I think it was like $.68 per $100 to insure.

The buyer had no complaints when he received the wheels, and was shocked how fast they came. (I packaged them the same way as above)

My Cars
    e36
    this is how my wheels arrived to my destination ..international shipped using USPS

My Cars
    2000 540i
    I used to own a shipping/postal store and the carriers always claimed that if something wasn't in a "box" that there would be an additional charge. Maybe they consider 2 pieces of cardboard a box? And unfortunately you won't know if it's "carrier approved" packaging until one of them takes damage during shipment and you have to file a claim. That's when they determine whether the packaging was adequate, and if they say it's not then you're out of luck.

Rule of thumb for every package shipped through UPS and FedEx is 3" of approved cushioning material on every side of the item. That's not to say that it won't make it there safely with less than that, but that's what will ensure that claims are paid in the event of damage in transit.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP,05 M3,TRD Taco
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    I used to own a shipping/postal store and the carriers always claimed that if something wasn't in a "box" that there would be an additional charge. Maybe they consider 2 pieces of cardboard a box? And unfortunately you won't know if it's "carrier approved" packaging until one of them takes damage during shipment and you have to file a claim. That's when they determine whether the packaging was adequate, and if they say it's not then you're out of luck.

Rule of thumb for every package shipped through UPS and FedEx is 3" of approved cushioning material on every side of the item. That's not to say that it won't make it there safely with less than that, but that's what will ensure that claims are paid in the event of damage in transit.
    Hmmm, I've always had good luck when I used to buy a lot of stuff from ebay and the forums and in 2 instances I had a set of ZKWs break on me, and an exhaust get dented, the packaging was terrible but FedEx paid for the items both times...

I wonder where that rule of thumb is published?

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Sorry I should have said the rule of thumb for the franchise that I bought into was 3". Obviously the claim payment is up to the discretion of the claim agent.

For those two instances did they request to see the packaging or did they just cut you a check?

My Cars
    M3's, CTS-V
    Motion to sticky.

My Cars
    99 M3 vert, E92 335xi
    Good Advice
    for those doubting round package this is how both Tire Rack and Discountire Direct pack their wheel and tire packages

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    I'll sticky this but you'll need to rehost the photos first.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Or call any local wheel distributor for free boxes

My Cars
    e36
    the transmission was shipped using this following bin ...( sorry no pictures of the cover lid for the box )

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP,05 M3,TRD Taco
    Quote Originally Posted by themadhatter View Post
    I'll sticky this but you'll need to rehost the photos first.

rehosted them

Quote Originally Posted by iceman13
    the transmission was shipped using this following bin ...( sorry no pictures of the cover lid for the box )
    what shipping provider did you use?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Great thread, thanks for the info.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP,05 M3,TRD Taco
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997BlackE36 View Post
    Great thread, thanks for the info.

Madhatter said he was going to sticky, should help the wheel lovers like myself!

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP,05 M3,TRD Taco
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko2 View Post

Madhatter said he was going to sticky, should help the wheel lovers like myself!

My Cars
    98 JB 740i/07 JB TBSS
    Been shipping wheels using this method since 01' You can never readily find wheel boxes large enough to accomodate wheel and tire combos. Kudos for posting this up for the rest of the community.

My Cars
    99 MB E55 14 VW Tiguan
    Just a note...you can get a FedEx account and get reduced shipping. Using a FedEx account the shipping was $8 per wheel cheaper. Just suggesting that you shop around for prices.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko2 View Post
    stuck, sorry for the delay

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    When I ordered two new RFT tires they both were just stuck together with that hard plastic cable tie. No cardboard, shipped by fed ex.
    2007 BMW 328i-SOLD
    2015 Accord V6 EX-L
    2013 Ninja 300 Motorcycle-selling soon
    2008 Mustang GT
    2010 Scion TC-traded
    2007 Mustang GT RIP
    2000 Eclipse GT-traded

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg003 View Post
    When I ordered two new RFT tires they both were just stuck together with that hard plastic cable tie. No cardboard, shipped by fed ex.
    That's because you didn't buy any wheels that needed protecting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast