Thread: DIY: How to Code new/used ABS module

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39

DIY: How to Code new/used ABS module

I just replaced my ASC ABS module and wanted to give back. I will be posting more in how I diagnosed the problem, ASC and DCS differences, and ASC dis assembly.

Special thanks to:

• bluebee: for "Making sense of INPA, EDIBAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummy, DIS/GT1, Easy DIS & Progman" posting.
    • nutterdog: for the basic steps in the process
    • revtor: for his program/document on NCS Dummy
    • randomy: for how to use my CarSoft cables with INPA / NCP Expert

Attached is my first draft of how to code the ABS module using NCP Expert. It is really easy, and takes 20 seconds!

Please let me know of any clarifications or corrections.

Note: These steps worked for me and if you follow them you do at your own risk.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    You dont need to code the ASC module, just only the DSC module need to be coded........

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    And I'm not sure using NCS-expert, the swiss army chainsaw of the BMW coders, is the best tool for the job. DIS -> select module -> code. No accidental recoding or bricking of the whole car.

/.randy

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    You dont need to code the ASC module, just only the DSC module need to be coded........
    In my case, after installing the new module, my abs gave error "23 Equiptment ERROR (Automatic / Manual)" After it was coded it never came back.

I think the abs (asc or dsc) module still needs to know tranny type, engine type, slip thresholds, etc from coding.

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    And I'm not sure using NCS-expert, the swiss army chainsaw of the BMW coders, is the best tool for the job. DIS -> select module -> code. No accidental recoding or bricking of the whole car.
    I couldn't find a working vmware rar, so I went with NCP Expert using carsoft cables.

Later today I hope to have DIS running.
    Last edited by MaxVQ; 07-13-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    the best and safe way to do it is in Progman
    under decode section decode DSC ( or ABS ? dont remember ) module

When decoding, if require , it will update automatically all the rest of components

I know NCSExpert is faster but not as safe us Progman
    Last edited by champaign777; 07-13-2012 at 12:33 PM.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVQ View Post
    I just replaced my ASC ABS module and wanted to give back. I will be posting more in how I diagnosed the problem, ASC and DCS differences, and ASC dis assembly.

Special thanks to:

• bluebee: for "Making sense of INPA, EDIBAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummy, DIS/GT1, Easy DIS & Progman" posting.
    • nutterdog: for the basic steps in the process
    • revtor: for his program/document on NCS Dummy
    • randomy: for how to use my CarSoft cables with INPA / NCP Expert

Attached is my first draft of how to code the ABS module using NCP Expert. It is really easy, and takes 20 seconds!

Please let me know of any clarifications or corrections.

hey, many thanks to you for the wonderful guide. I used ncs expert v4.0.1 and the profiles were EXPERT MAN and Expertenmodus. I did select the first one. I went through the coding as you explained in the manual, It took about 4-5 seconds and then the message said Coding Ended. But my abs and asc lights are still on. It's showing 3 of my abs sensors are not reading which is incorrect because they were reading the values with my non working module. I'm not sure what to do now. Please Help.

My Cars
    2001-E38 | 2016-F48
    Anyone have a link to the instructions for DIS or Progman? I have to do this for my E38 this week. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 320i

Thanks a million SUCCESS at coding DSC module

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVQ View Post
    I just replaced my ASC ABS module and wanted to give back. I will be posting more in how I diagnosed the problem, ASC and DCS differences, and ASC dis assembly.<br>
    <br>
    Special thanks to:<br>
    <ul><li style="">bluebee: for "Making sense of INPA, EDIBAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummy, DIS/GT1, Easy DIS &amp; Progman" posting.</li>
    <li style="">nutterdog: for the basic steps in the process</li>
    <li style="">revtor: for his program/document on NCS Dummy</li>
    <li style="">randomy: for how to use my CarSoft cables with INPA / NCP Expert</li>
    </ul>Attached is my first draft of how to code the ABS module using NCP Expert. It is really easy, and takes 20 seconds!<br>
    <br>
    Please let me know of any clarifications or corrections.<br>
    <br>
    Thankyou MaxVQ I have successfully recoded my DSC module using your instructions. I have a 2001 BMW X5 E53 4.4L V8, petrol. For the benefit of other subscribers my journey started when it was pointed out by a mechanic the tamper dot was on. I hadn't noticed it and I had not replaced any major parts such as the instrument cluster or light module. I did have the auto transmission reconditioned about 3 years ago, so there is a possibility that caused the tamper dot to illuminate.

When I coded clearing the tamper dot, there were different VIN numbers in the ECU and light control module (LCM), the trifecta of lights appeared. (DSC, brake and ABS). I have not replaced or repaired the ABS module or any other DSC/ABS components. I only reset the tamper dot. After searching various forums I came across the post and instructions by MaxVQ on this forum. I connected the appropriate cable into my laptop and commenced the instructions in NCSExpert. My software showed 'Manipulation' rather than 'Expertmode' however following the instructions worked and the trifecta lights have gone off.

Thankyou for your instructions and screenshots, they are very informative and work.<br>

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowkat View Post
    Thankyou MaxVQ I have successfully recoded my DSC module using your instructions. I have a 2001 BMW X5 E53 4.4L V8, petrol. For the benefit of other subscribers my journey started when it was pointed out by a mechanic the tamper dot was on. I hadn't noticed it and I had not replaced any major parts such as the instrument cluster or light module. I did have the auto transmission reconditioned about 3 years ago, so there is a possibility that caused the tamper dot to illuminate.

When I coded clearing the tamper dot, there were different VIN numbers in the ECU and light control module (LCM), the trifecta of lights appeared. (DSC, brake and ABS). I have not replaced or repaired the ABS module or any other DSC/ABS components. I only reset the tamper dot. After searching various forums I came across the post and instructions by MaxVQ on this forum. I connected the appropriate cable into my laptop and commenced the instructions in NCSExpert. My software showed 'Manipulation' rather than 'Expertmode' however following the instructions worked and the trifecta lights have gone off.

Thankyou for your instructions and screenshots, they are very informative and work.<br>
    Thank you! I'm glad it helped