Thread: Broken Radiator Nipple Tabs = New Radiator, or Not?

My Cars
    '03 540i/6, '87 325iS

Broken Radiator Nipple Tabs = New Radiator, or Not?

The overflow nipple on my less-than 3-year-old Behr radiator developed an O-ring leak, this week.

I obtained a replacement nipple from the dealer and though I tried to be careful (I used two jeweler's screwdrivers to wedge the tabs apart and a third to lever the nipple out), the tabs on top of the port both snapped. (The dried antifreeze acted to cement the tabs to the nipple.)

Somewhere, I read that the tabs are only there to keep the nipple from turning in the port, which appears to be the case, given that they do not have anything to 'catch' the nipple on their interior surfaces.

Does this mean that the radiator is toast? Or is the car drivable without those tabs?

(I do have a replacement Behr, sitting in the trunk, but since it was sourced so I could get it the same day I placed the order, I paid about twice the lowest price I've been able to find via the online sources.)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Might try cleaning everything up, installing the new nipple, and slather some JB Weld on it to keep it in place. A few have had luck patching radiators like this - you have little to lose.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    '99 540iT; Porsche 944
    +1 the replacement nipples sometimes don't snapon properly and can come loose, I recommend using JB Weld as well. I had to after the nipple started leaking because it popped out, I cleaned up the mating surfaces and JB Quick Welded it, no issues since.

My Cars
    '03 540i/6, '87 325iS
    The whole thing is academic.

Though it passed the drive it around the block until the temp gauge read 12 o'clock test, after a longer drive, the driver's side appears to be leaking along a seam, about 2/3 down the radiator, so it's trashed.

My Cars
    NOne
    I'll post a pic of what I did the other day. I simply glued the nipple to the radiator . First I cleaned the area throughly and waited until the car was stone cold (Sitting overnight). That was great since it allowed any coolant seepage to stop and I could work more effectively. Once there is coolant the glue will not stick properly and will "run" down the radiator causing a sticky mess (dont ask me how I know...) I used self-adhesive tape around the nipple and radiator to keep the two together all while pressing down to get a tight fit. Then i used clear colored gorilla glue and the pointy end of a ziptie to apply a thin amount of glue around the connection between the nipple and radiator. ( Apply a little force here and wait for about a minute). Then I applied a thicker amount of glue to the connections and the top of the nipple basically covering the nipple with glue. Do this one more time after waiting approx 5 minutes and get out some epoxy glue with a high temp resistance. Mix the epoxy and quickly apply it all over the nipple starting from the top down (it will set very quick in approx 30 seconds and begin to gel). The epoxy will only harden from here on out and will not crack or become brittle with heat. I did this about three months ago and havent had a leak since.