Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sick of loose steering in your e34?

My Cars
    E34 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by riddlerLV View Post
    Updates are pictureless, because the shop had to be made free for a different car, but I've managed to install the thing, the wheels are turning in the correct direction, and things looking good for the 6 cyl engines. my v12 exhaust manifolds come too close to the inlet pipes of the rack (I believe it might be similar with the v8, so there will be some thinking to do, the angle for the linkage from column to the rack is very ok, no problems turning the wheels, but another bracket will have to be developed at the pedal box. to keep the column steady in place but all in all everything goes well, if will get the chance will make some pictures of the first fitment

stay tuned
    You mentioned needing a bracket to keep the steering shaft from moving. Another member who did a R&P swap when he dropped in a LS1 motor came up with this solution:

Another member who also did a R&P swap made this bracket:

Last edited by eightynine535; 07-19-2012 at 12:35 AM.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    so what's the rack from, cause if we can't get one here, won't do us any good.
    especially in terms of rebuilds etc.

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    subscribed

My Cars
    '11 528 Msport, '95 840i
    This is actually kind of exciting. I know its going to be a good product because of his detail to his other builds. Can't wait to hear the end results!

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    so the first pics of an installed rack, about the brackets of the shaft, similar thought as in the picture nr 2

so here goes, I haven't driven anything yet, this is just to get it fitted to understand what kind of modifications are recquired (with the v12 some have to be made

the tie rod is extended too far, I know, working to get round this, some parts will be machined soon

oil stains are from the steering liquid, sorry not clean

but here the conection can be seen, that connects the shaft with the rack, some more pics comming up

brackets are just in one line with the oil pan of v12 on e30 engine mounts

and here is the biggest problem with the v12 engine, not relevant to the six cylinder engines

no place for the inlet pipes, and the rack is slightly touching the exhaust header/pipe, but my engine has 10mm spacers between the pipe and the header, so not yet sure how it compares to the stock, but the good thing is that the silver part can be rotated to the other side and bolted down in the very same place, just with the inlet pipes facing opposite direction, where is plenty of room. the pipes in the picture must be modded.

the car on its wheels on the ground in the correct position.

view from the front

hard to see but here is the connection between the shaft and rack from the open hood view

if all goes well next week I could finally give it a try on the road. this is not the end result yet

sorry for the dirty and oily underside, lack of time to get it cleaned
    Last edited by riddlerLV; 07-19-2012 at 05:24 PM.

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Looking good!!! Still smile looking at the underside of an e34 with 4 downpipes...

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    1993 BMW 525i
    Lookin good

My Cars
    BMW E30 E36 E34 E39 E38
    sign me up

My Cars
    1992 BMW 535iM
    I can't wait any longer.

My Cars
    BMW-less
    Sounds expensive but yes I am interested
    K&N Panel Filter/PIAA Super White Bulbs/Superblue ATE Brake & Clutch Fluid/Redline ATF fluid/Redline 75w-90 Diff Fluid/3.15 LSD/Understeer Short Shift Kit/ZHP Shift Knob/ TMS SS Brake Lines/UUC SS Clutch Line/Brembo Drilled Front Rotors/Brembo Blank Rears/ Hawk HPS F&R Pads/X-Brace/UUC F&R Sway Bars/H&R Sport Touring Cup Suspension Kit/Rear Shock Mount Reinforcement

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    I'll take one... How much?

My Cars
    Kansas City,MO
    What is the rack from?
    Quote Originally Posted by pimped525 View Post
    Heater stays on and think water pump is. Leaking also smell of fuel after caneing it about any ideas guys

My Cars
    Kansas City,MO
    What is the rack from?
    Quote Originally Posted by pimped525 View Post
    Heater stays on and think water pump is. Leaking also smell of fuel after caneing it about any ideas guys

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Subscribed. I hate e34 steering.... and I have a 100% all new front end with Lemf/Meyle parts too. (minus the steering box and pump).
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    So still not going to let any of us know what the rack is off of?

My Cars
    E34 535i
    Man, this thread could sure use another update.....

My Cars
    '11 528 Msport, '95 840i
    No joke, Im pretty sure everyone in the sub-forum is just itching for an update and details.. I am.

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    Patience guys, I know everything has slowed down, but it is still going forward. some of the last brackets have been made and given to powdercoating + the polyurethane thing arrived just this morning. I can't wait to get it all tested myself, but the beemer is without the gearbox at the moment as well. + some unexpected mods for steering column are being performed just as I am typing this post and some other duties also stand in the way of devoting my complete time to the e34, need cash for all this you know

the rack is from a bmw ( by now that's it)
    Last edited by riddlerLV; 07-27-2012 at 06:35 AM.

My Cars
    e34, e30 x2, Unimog
    Quote Originally Posted by riddlerLV View Post
    Patience guys, I know everything has slowed down, but it is still going forward. some of the last brackets have been made and given to powdercoating + the polyurethane thing arrived just this morning. I can't wait to get it all tested myself, but the beemer is without the gearbox at the moment as well. + some unexpected mods for steering column are being performed just as I am typing this post and some other duties also stand in the way of devoting my complete time to the e34, need cash for all this you know

the rack is from a bmw ( by now that's it)

Sooo its a flipped RHD rack.... kinda looks like an e60 rack because of the removable steering shaft housing.

Have you checked to see that the rack has enough throw to get the same turning degrees of the box setup? The box and linkage has a TON of throw for what it is...

My Cars
    2010 BMW F10 528i
    Oh... so this is only for LHD?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    def subscribed

My Cars
    E34 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeday1036

Sooo its a flipped RHD rack.... kinda looks like an e60 rack because of the removable steering shaft housing.

Have you checked to see that the rack has enough throw to get the same turning degrees of the box setup? The box and linkage has a TON of throw for what it is...
    Are there no LHD rear steer BMW racks?

My Cars
    e34, e30 x2, Unimog
    Quote Originally Posted by eightynine535 View Post
    Are there no LHD rear steer BMW racks?
    Nope, all bmw rack setups have been front steer

My Cars
    E34 535i

Ok. Guess that makes this swap harder for those of us with LHD cars. It would mean importing RHD racks.

Just found out the e21 had power rear steer racks.
    Last edited by eightynine535; 07-27-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1989 524tdA
    so the long awaited updates have arrived

this is the next part of the set, the polyurethane flexible joint, I was also experimenting with the steel joint with the (driveshaft type connection) but there is not plenty enough room if we use the OEM parts + the oem parts don't fit directly in the end of the steering column.

the bracket is bit rough, but it is made of 4 mm thick steel bars/girders (whatever they are named correctly) + I made it using an old stock bracket for the steering column of e34, so no cutting/welding or modifying the stock parts, bolts on with 3 bolts, the shaft in the picter had to be shortened as well.

here is a crappy pic of all this in the place, the stock rubber boot was kept in its place

if you remember, the rack was touching the exhaust header, now it clears beautifully

this was achieved by lowering the axle carrier by 20mm

engine kept in the same position by swapping the e30 motor mounts to e34 24v ones

this also gave a bit better clearing to the tie rods

the tie rods recieved their 30mm extensions

the pipes atached...

here is the view of axle carrier lowered, engine lifted

and if you can spot some differences, here is a clue why this is taking so long

before

after

about the bent pipe on the rack I know, don't like it myself, but I got another rack of this type to improve this, but not to slow down the progress this will be done separately, however this pipe issue does in no way affect the R6 engines, not sure yet about the v8s 50/50 that it could clear.

the electrician is comming the following morning, and hopefully I will be able to try it out on friday ( the wiring of M73, is installed instead of m70)

cheers!
    Last edited by riddlerLV; 08-02-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast